Bushwalking etiquette?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Bushwalking etiquette?

Postby seamus20 » Tue 02 May, 2017 7:46 pm

I recently hiked in southern NSW and experienced things I've never come across before. I've done most of my hiking in Aus in Victoria and Tassie, so this made me wonder whether distinct regions have distinct etiquettes. On this hike, a number of people in different spots had small campfires going, even though it wasn't particularly cold. In one spot, my gf and I set up camp - and were the only ones there. Late in the day a party of two arrived. I told them there were other camp spots 5 minutes away, although they were not as good. The couple set up tent 5m from us, lit a camp-fire which blew foul smoke all over us, then proceeded to put on a music album through a small set of speakers. I've never come across the latter in 20 years of hiking. After half an hour I asked him to turn it off, and told him my gf has severe asthma and did he really need a camp-fire. They obliged, but I wondered if I was being unreasonable, or what normal bush etiquette is, or whether there's different etiquette in different parts of Aus?
seamus20
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bushwalking etiquette?

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:19 pm

Sounds to me like you were trying to hog the best spot; as for the fire I light one whenever I can, the camp fire is an integral part of my bushwalking and camping
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:37 pm

I think you were just unlucky that time.
Maybe too polite or they thought you were OK and felt more comfortable camping next to others.
People come at bushwalking and camping from all different angles.
Next time ask if they are swingers and wiggle an eyebrow, ask again five minutes later, that should move them on.
Small fires are great.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:40 pm

I would probably have camped further away from you , if possible, but there are some places where the terrain doesn't allow it.

As for the fire, I agree with MD. I love a fire at night.

I don't like music though - my enjoyment of the bush is "listening to nature".

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Neo » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:42 pm

Oh I pitched once then a dozen students with two guides turned up. Moved to a different spot while they were out. Then three vehicles turned up near that spot.
Was was it was. They took their tunes to the beach, was OK actually then I went to bed.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby seamus20 » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:53 pm

Haha, hogging the best spot? Another way to put it would be, why would you come into 20, 000 hectares of wilderness and camp 5m from someone and start playing music. If I came later and set up next to them I wouldn't complain if they played music. I think camp-fires are a cultural thing - if people have grown up with them they seem to love them. I never grew up using them so I think of them much as cigarette smoke. A single wood fire creates more carbon emissions than a car does in 12 months. If not using them to cook or create heat in the snow, what purpose do they serve, other than to create smoke and make everything stink?
seamus20
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:02 pm

There's one of the different angles... I've always enjoyed seeing flames, also known as the bush TV. Many a fine barbie at my mates place, collect some gumtree sticks, they're the best. We are so lucky (sit out of the smoke)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:13 pm

Woodsmoke doesn't stink, it's redolent of 300000 years of evolution and dependence on it for our survival, fire is sacred in the same way as clean water is
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Wed 03 May, 2017 6:03 am

seamus20 wrote: A single wood fire creates more carbon emissions than a car does in 12 months.

You may want to fact check the science on this. If an average car drove 20000 km in a year then it would use around 2 tonne of hydrocarbon. A single fire may burn 20 kg of timber which releases the same amount of carbon as if the timber was left to rot on the ground, just quicker. 20kg of wood is about 16kg of cellulose (which is about 33% carbon by weight). That is a lot less than 2 tonnes of hydrocarbon which is 90% carbon by weight.

Now to the point in question. We found while travelling around the country people would often set up camp close to us if we were the only other campers. This was quite intruding but then we realised they were probably doing it for personal safety or at least to feel safer. Perhaps this was the case in the incident cited but more likely they simply did not have any clue. Since Wild mag put out the review on the portable speakers people may feel it acceptable to annoy others or intrude on their peace with loud music in the bush. Once when camping on the NSW south coast someone turned up with a set of bongo drums and started 'banging like a chimpanzee'. My partner did not take to it well and with a loud 'shut up' it stopped suddenly. Inconsiderate people are everywhere. We have lots of huts in Victoria and there is a code or etiquette for them but few abide by it. Perhaps on the other side of the coin, are we becoming less tolerant of others and more protective of our own space. I think I am but that is why I moved to the bush.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 03 May, 2017 10:46 am

I'm will the OP on this one - don't pitch your tent near mine (I've moved few times when people have pitched as close as possible when it's totally unnecessary), and don't start a fire near me. Sparks can damage tents - there's a patch in the fly of my Salewa caused by a bunch of idiots near the Cascades Hut who decided that the bigger their fire was, the better . . . that was one of those occasions where I packed up and moved despite having been there first.
And anyone who even looks like setting up a fire in a FSOA is going to be told off thoroughly if I'm around - and risk having their gear thrown on said fire if they continue.
The music thing isn't going to bother me, but anyone with hearing is justified in bitching about it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby slparker » Wed 03 May, 2017 12:43 pm

I'm with the OP. perhaps I am misanthropic but I don't walk to listen to other people's music or snoring. Unless the campsite selection is limited have the good grace to move a respectful distance from others - or ask first, especially before lighting a fire near expensive synthetic equipment.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 03 May, 2017 1:23 pm

OK I can see your points there; but I would probably take exception if you put your expensive synthetic tent near an existing fire ring or fireplace; simply becuse we are supposed to only use those places that already exist. If you are against fires then I suggest that you do make sure your tent is placed well away from any that already exist. This assumes of course that it is legal and safe to light the fire, I like/love my fires but I do not always light one, only when I consider it safe to do so. In 45 years I have never had a hole in any of my tents, tarps or bivvies from a camp fire tho
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TerraMer » Wed 03 May, 2017 2:00 pm

Let's look at it from a different persective.
Rather than wonder what is inconsiderate behaviour to other campers and walkers, do we stop to think about how our actions effect the Nature we are there to enjoy.
Any human activity is going to have an impact on plants and wildlife whether it be snoring, talking, drumming, generators or music, collecting fire wood, burning a patch of ground, alarming wildlife with fire smoke, trumping about established and improvised campsites damaging ground cover...
Leave no trace camping is about as considerate as we can get for fellow campers and everything/everyone else we share Nature with.
If we feel put out by other humans imagine how it feels to be a non-human resident of the campsite (:

In Australia we are lucky to have so much space and share Nature with only a few others outside of holiday seasons. For anyone travelling from overseas 5m is 5 times what they're used to.

From experience I have found, more often than not, it can become a very pleasant and enriching night if I ask to join a noisy neighbor's campfire and share a few stories, compare gear and learn about places I haven't been yet. They might be new to camping and walking and welcome a bit of advice from your experiences.
thehappywalkblog.wordpress.com
Solo unaccompanied walk around Australia
Sponsored by The Australian Geographic Society
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Happy Walk
Region: Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 03 May, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanx for that insight TerraMer, I'd never looked at our space from that POV before
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnnymacfnq » Wed 10 May, 2017 11:44 pm

I find a hearty cooee when approaching a swimming spot is generally appreciated.
johnnymacfnq
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby AWTtrekker » Thu 11 May, 2017 12:17 am

I think to some extent our feelings on fires come very much from our experiences growing up. I could count on one hand the number of times i have had a wood fire while hiking. It isnt something that I even associate with bushwalking. I would have one while car camping in a defined campsite but not hiking. However, most of my early hiking was done in Victoria with the combination of fire restrictions in national parks and those related to above the tree line. Also while I don't mind the smell of a campfire I hate the sour smoke smell stuck in your clothes thereafter.
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Bushwalking Discussion