Topographic map reference chart

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Topographic map reference chart

Postby TerraMer » Fri 12 May, 2017 1:03 pm

In the next few weeks I will be buying a heap of 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 topos for long sections of the last leg of my walk around Australia.

I have found the websites for trails, great walks and 4WDing are not very helpful with their poor quality maps and 404 Error links to buying maps.

The easiest way seems to be finding the relevant topos on a reference chart and ordering them online.

Where can I find a topo reference map suitable for viewing on an android mobile phone?
Who is the fastest most reliable online store for ordering multiple maps?

I look forward to your advice T
thehappywalkblog.wordpress.com
Solo unaccompanied walk around Australia
Sponsored by The Australian Geographic Society
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Happy Walk
Region: Australia

Re: Topographic map reference chart

Postby Mark F » Fri 12 May, 2017 4:07 pm

What areas are you walking in? For NSW you can download free all the 1:25k/1:50k maps to view on your tablet or smart phone. At http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html the interface allows you to see the map extents and names, click on the map you want and either download as a topo-pdf for free or put a paper copy into your shopping basket. You can of course download for free and print out the pdfs as you need to at Office Works etc.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Neo » Fri 12 May, 2017 4:40 pm

Marks tip sounds best. For NSW I got the map reading guide, a booklet and a topo from here:
https://www.mapshop.com.au/nsw-topograp ... Maps+A+-+C
You click on the index pdf east or west which downloads then zoom in to find a map name, then use the a-z list to find that map. Works ok on a phone screen. A bit of a guess sometimes with the level of detail on the index, some Parks you need 2-4 maps.
Map was $10.95 has satellite image on the other side. Postage was $4.95 took just a few days.
They have a list (no index) for Tassie maps $12.95 and various other map types.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 13 May, 2017 10:54 am

For mobile phone use Oruxmaps is excellent. It take a while to work out the UI and to setup the online map (WMS) sources but once you do its possible to create a route or import one and display route/poi on a variety of maps including NSW topo / Open street map with contours / and sat maps etc.

You can download the maps for offline use so you use without phone reception etc. It works as a gps with many features such as location tracking, route / waypoint alarms etc
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby TerraMer » Sun 14 May, 2017 4:11 pm

Mark F wrote:What areas are you walking in? For NSW you can download free all the 1:25k/1:50k maps to view on your tablet or smart phone. At http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html the interface allows you to see the map extents and names, click on the map you want and either download as a topo-pdf for free or put a paper copy into your shopping basket. You can of course download for free and print out the pdfs as you need to at Office Works etc.

Excellent! Thank you. This looks very helpful purchasing printed NSW topos.
Cheers
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby TerraMer » Sun 14 May, 2017 4:16 pm

Neo wrote:Marks tip sounds best. For NSW I got the map reading guide, a booklet and a topo from here:
https://www.mapshop.com.au/nsw-topograp ... Maps+A+-+C
You click on the index pdf east or west which downloads then zoom in to find a map name, then use the a-z list to find that map. Works ok on a phone screen. A bit of a guess sometimes with the level of detail on the index, some Parks you need 2-4 maps.
Map was $10.95 has satellite image on the other side. Postage was $4.95 took just a few days.
They have a list (no index) for Tassie maps $12.95 and various other map types.

Thanks Neo! This link helped me find the 50s for QLD https://www.mapshop.com.au/australia-to ... 0-keys.php which will hopefully be sufficient for Fraser Is, Cooloola, Sunshine Hinterland and Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walks too. So long as they are better than the PDFs on the parks pages (:
Thank you for your help!
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby TerraMer » Sun 14 May, 2017 4:44 pm

Mark F wrote:What areas are you walking in?

Sorry Mark, I didn't answer this before.
Coast from Gladstone to Moruya then up the Deua River Valley and over Tinderry to Canberra. The 2,900km walk will including convenient through walks between the range and coast. Fraser Island, Cooloola, Sunshine Coast Hinterland, Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walks in QLD.
In NSW I hope to walk the Yuragir Coastal Track and Great North Walk as well a stack of small ones enroute.
For most of the last 13,600kms of this solo unaccompanied charity walk around Australia my walk has been beside the highways and roads pushing a barrow with all my water, food and equipment. This year, I swap the barrow for a Wilderness Threadworks Luxmore D40 UL pack and will stay off the highway and walk the rest on the quietest most walker friendly beaches, tracks, trails and minor roads.
I'm very familiar with the east coast but this route will take me across new ground so I need a few topos. I'm old school, paper and compass (:
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Quarksta » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 8:13 pm

Great tip Mark. I knew about the Sixmaps website but didn't realise you could download full topo maps in pdf for free. Thank you! Will be of great help when planning walks for groups in the future.
Quarksta
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby michael_p » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 10:15 am

Quarksta wrote:Great tip Mark. I knew about the Sixmaps website but didn't realise you could download full topo maps in pdf for free. Thank you! Will be of great help when planning walks for groups in the future.

You might want to have a look at his thread about etopo maps: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25020

Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion