Why I hate hiking poles - 80% of the time!

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 11 Jun, 2017 10:20 pm

Finally decided to give hiking poles a go after 30+ years managing without them.

My observations:
1. Going up steep slopes - 2 poles brilliant
2. Going down steep slopes - 2 or 1 pole brilliant
3. The rest of the time - not sure what to do with them. Do I put them away and then have to fiddle around when I come to situations 1 or 2? Do I continue to use the double pole technique and look like a complete dork? Or do I stride along like a drum-major who's lost the rest of the band?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Why I hate hiking poles - 80% of the time!

Postby taipan821 » Sun 11 Jun, 2017 10:40 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:3. The rest of the time - not sure what to do with them. Do I put them away and then have to fiddle around when I come to situations 1 or 2? Do I continue to use the double pole technique and look like a complete dork? Or do I stride along like a drum-major who's lost the rest of the band?

My thoughts on hiking poles...I often find myself in the same boat as you
1. If I don't need them, I carry them in my hand or on my pack, however, see what happens with your pacing when you use the double pole technique, I got faster doing this.
2. I'll walk with one stick 'swagger' style, great for keeping pace and handy to just quickly have a third point of balance, also great for 'poking things' and pushing things away
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Xplora » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 5:27 am

Using one pole all the time and alternating the hand will help stop your fingers from swelling. Two poles for me is rare but sometimes in the snow. I lent a pole to a person once and when not needed it became a weapon. Most of the time the pole sits in the pocket on my pack unless needed which is about 80% of the time. P.S. I suspect there would be the odd 'dork' or two lurking around here.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 5:44 am

When I'm in Eucalypt forest, I find my pole on the ground when I arrive at a slope, and discard it at the end of the slope. This solves the "where do I put it?" problem.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Turfa » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 6:41 am

How long have you been using the poles? It can take some time to get the right technique for walking on flat ground. I often see people using them on the flat and trying to keep up the same one-for-one rhythm that you use on ups or downs, and it looks really uncomfortable as they have to move the poles so fast to keep up with the pace of their feet. On the flat it is best to use a two-for-one rhythm where you only have one pole plant for each two steps. You also need to use the wrist straps correctly for this to be comfortable, but once you get the hang of it and practice for a while you find that the poles become part of your natural action and you don't have to think about them.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Lazy J » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 8:01 am

I'm always hiking in hilly country so I use them a lot. When I'm on a flat surface though I generally use them for pointing, or pretend they're lightsabers.

Whatever works!
Lazy J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MrWalker » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 8:14 am

I agree with Turfa that you must use a 2 for 1 rhythm on flattish ground. I often don't get mine out except for up or down hills or on rough ground. But they are a real nuisance on scree slopes where you need to have both hands free. I used to use telescopic poles but they take time to reset the height of the pole. So I got the type that fold into 3 sections for putting in my pack and flip out quickly to their preset height.
MrWalker

Region: Tasmania

Postby Suz » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 9:46 am

I use two poles almost all the time. I only put them away when I need my hands for holding onto something - like scrambling.

They definitely help with pace on the flat, sort of helping to propel me along and I think they distribute a little of the effort of walking to my arms, therefore evening out the workload a touch between lower and upper body.

Walking with them on the flat becomes natural with time and you'll find your own rhythm after a while without thinking about it.

My main complaint about them is that with continuous use of them, i develop a little pain across my collar bones with the weight of my pack.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby north-north-west » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 9:54 am

Suz wrote:My main complaint about them is that with continuous use of them, i develop a little pain across my collar bones with the weight of my pack.

I have a slightly dodgy shoulder from an old injury, and using a pole tends to aggravate it. Which is one more reason I stick to a single pole, constantly changing the side on which it's used. Only with a full pack, mind. Never take the thing out on daywalks.

They're a major pain in the butt when scrambling or scrub-bashing, but so much better for the poor old knees on those steeper descents.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby pogo69 » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:11 am

Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z-poles and UD AK 3.0 vest with front-located pole loops, means this is never an issue for me.

Folded+stored or retrieved+assembled in less than 10 seconds.

I'm a trail runner, so the equipment is specifically geared towards that. But if I used poles hiking - which I do not - I'd be looking for something similar.
pogo69
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby neilmny » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:22 am

Do I continue to use the double pole technique and look like a complete dork?

I find using 2 poles all the time stops my shoulders from getting stiff, helps my dodgy knee on the downhills, gives my upper torso some exercise particularly uphill and more.
Who gives a ratz razoo what the fashion police think anyway. If I was worrying about how I looked I might as well give it away and return to the big smoke to be judged as can be guaranteed.
Among many other things, I go bush to escape that crap.
Hmm..........I guess I'm trying to say it's a personal choice but don't miss the benefits because some dick might view you as a lesser being. :shock:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:59 am

Trekking in the Himalaya, I was amazed by the pace of European walkers. They use the poles to really drive along. After a little practice I could almost keep up with them. It's hard to consider anyone a dork when they have just blown you off the trail.
RonK

Postby johnw » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 12:12 pm

north-north-west wrote:I have a slightly dodgy shoulder from an old injury, and using a pole tends to aggravate it. Which is one more reason I stick to a single pole, constantly changing the side on which it's used. Only with a full pack, mind. Never take the thing out on daywalks.

north-north-west wrote:They're a major pain in the butt when scrambling or scrub-bashing, but so much better for the poor old knees on those steeper descents.

This, with the same frustrations (using an easily packable/stowable pole helps). Although I often do use a single pole on day walks for the same reason. Sometimes, if I want to go really ultra-light, I use ribuck's method of finding a free one and discarding it as needed. That said, finding a good one can be a challenge if you're picky :). And yes, who gives a flying f what the fashion police think :roll:.
Last edited by johnw on Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 2:37 pm

Lazy J wrote:pretend they're lightsabers

Yes indeed. A much under-rated use of poles!

pogo69 wrote:Black Diamond ... Z-poles

I'll second that. Easy to fold and stow, and as strong as any others I've had.

ChrisJHC wrote:Do I continue to use the double pole technique and look like a complete dork?

Yep - everyone looks dorky when walking. But a complete dork? Surely we can only aspire to that!

But seriously ... I disdained poles for years, but now use them everywhere except in scrub and while climbing rocks. The two pole, semi-Nordic style of walking on open ground works well for me, giving my arms a workout as well as my legs. If you have poles that easily stow most of your problems disappear.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 3:14 pm

I use three pole technique.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 3:37 pm

Orion wrote:I use three pole technique.

Bragger :shock:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 4:31 pm

Great comments everyone. I might try the "Gandalf" approach for the flat as I can see the benefit of one pole. Keeping a cadence, pushing branches out of the way, having a light sabre for any lurking storm troopers...

Also, when I need to use two poles, I will already have one ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby Orion » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 4:38 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:The rest of the time - not sure what to do with them. Do I put them away and then have to fiddle around when I come to situations 1 or 2? Do I continue to use the double pole technique and look like a complete dork? Or do I stride along like a drum-major who's lost the rest of the band?

I alternate between using two poles, one pole, and no pole, depending on terrain and other factors. Sometimes I put one or both away, sometimes I carry one or both. It just depends. It's like any other tool. An ice axe or crampons are similar. Or staying roped up. Or even leaving your sunglasses on or not.

One thing I've found helps with regard to poles is choosing nice light ones. That way carrying them, balanced at the midpoint, is relatively easy. No need to pretend one's in a marching band.

All that said, I've often wished for some way to quickly and seamlessly put away a pole. With an ice axe you can kind of stuff it between your pack and your back and carry it that way, at least for some distance. But with poles? I have not been able to figure out a fast way to store them. Some kind of spring-loaded instantly telescoping pole that shrinks down to nothing and could be stashed in a hip pocket would be the ideal I suppose.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 6:25 pm

pogo69 wrote:Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z-poles and UD AK 3.0 vest with front-located pole loops, means this is never an issue for me.

+1

Same experience when the pole/s can be folded and stored on the run, all without removing the pack. Then, it's a no-issue. Otherwise I love it for a more secure footing when going down hill or on uneven grounds. When my 2 feet can handle the surface securely and quickly, then it's a quick tuck until next use.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 8:22 pm

After a few weeks two become something you don't notice. Not a lot of use in scrubby places but even on closed in track I let them lol around behind until there comes a place to swing them forward again. I agree, it's a one for two step rythm and they rarely swing far forward on flat ground.

Well worth using as much as possible. We weren't really designed to carry much over our lean body weight, youth provides a buffer, especially in the mind.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby onward » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 8:42 pm

With the exception of narrow bushy tracks and some rock I use them 100% of time, faster on the climbs and even faster on the flats. Speed beats dorkiness. Rest of time just hold them in one hand. Besides I need them to hold my tent up! !
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 1:00 am

GPSGuided wrote:
pogo69 wrote:Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z-poles and UD AK 3.0 vest with front-located pole loops, means this is never an issue for me.

+1

Same experience when the pole/s can be folded and stored on the run, all without removing the pack. Then, it's a no-issue. Otherwise I love it for a more secure footing when going down hill or on uneven grounds. When my 2 feet can handle the surface securely and quickly, then it's a quick tuck until next use.

I missed that comment, or more accurately, I didn't understand what he was talking about when I read it.

A simple and ingenious idea, really just a set of elastics mounted on/near the top and bottom of the shoulder strap to hold a folding pole. Probably not that difficult to engineer on an existing pack.

Thanks!
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 5:01 am

Yes Orion. Asprey has such a feature on many of their packs as well as one can MYO as you suggested. Those CF Z-poles are really light and compact, well worth considering. Fixed length may kill the option for those who need them for UL tent support though.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 5:22 am

GPSGuided wrote:Yes Orion. Asprey has such a feature on many of their packs as well as one can MYO as you suggested. Those CF Z-poles are really light and compact, well worth considering. Fixed length may kill the option for those who need them for UL tent support though.

I have the aluminum version of the Z-poles, the ones with some adjustability (105-120cm), enough for using in a shelter. I strap them together to make one slightly longer center pole with ~30cm adjustability. The carbon fiber poles are definitely lighter but they're also quite a bit more expensive. And compared to my previous "lightweight" poles the aluminum Z poles are so much lighter, about half as light, and that's really noticeable when used for many hours.

The first time I used two poles on a trip I had one each of two different models of collapsible poles and one was heavier than the other. After a relatively short period of time I found myself switching the poles between hands because the slightly heavier pole was more tiring to use. It was eye-opening. It wasn't long after that I got the Z poles. So I wonder how much of a difference the CF poles would make in terms of fatigue versus Al? The adjustable CF poles aren't quite as impressive a weight difference.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 6:42 am

RonK wrote:Trekking in the Himalaya, I was amazed by the pace of European walkers. They use the poles to really drive along. After a little practice I could almost keep up with them. It's hard to consider anyone a dork when they have just blown you off the trail.

I suppose this is true if the object of the walk is to get to the end as quick as you can. I recall an episode of Malcolm in the Middle where the father had a competition with some other bloke as to who could look the most ridiculous when race walking. That was dorky. It does not seem like a very relaxing way to move on flat ground but the added effort of the arms does help with the up hills. Striking the ground with the pole may also help to keep snakes away as they will feel the vibration and hopefully move off before you get too close.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 7:52 am

Orion wrote:... So I wonder how much of a difference the CF poles would make in terms of fatigue versus Al? The adjustable CF poles aren't quite as impressive a weight difference.

My older CF model with no length adjustability weighs less 300 a pair and I note the lightest Alu models with adjustability come in at around 400 or more. So there would be a notable difference in use. With these things, lighter, thinner, smoother and stronger the better as it would allow for easier swings, thereby less hand/wrist stresses. Go and try a pair in the shop and see. Fortunately the bulk of weight on your poles is near your wrist (length adjuster), so that's a plus. The fact these Z poles don't have any bulky locking mechanisms on the poles means they are less likely to cause obstruction and tangles with plant life along the track, a very good thing.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 8:30 am

GPSGuided wrote:My older CF model with no length adjustability weighs less 300 a pair and I note the lightest Alu models with adjustability come in at around 400 or more. So there would be a notable difference in use. With these things, lighter, thinner, smoother and stronger the better as it would allow for easier swings, thereby less hand/wrist stresses. Go and try a pair in the shop and see. Fortunately the bulk of weight on your poles is near your wrist (length adjuster), so that's a plus. The fact these Z poles don't have any bulky locking mechanisms on the poles means they are less likely to cause obstruction and tangles with plant life along the track, a very good thing.

My poles weigh 445g/pair (on a scale accurate to ±1g) and the equivalent 105-120cm adjustable CF poles are specified to be 355g by BD. So I'd be looking at a 90g savings. The non-adjustable poles are 285 or 290g, depending on which one I chose (I usually set my poles to a length almost exactly halfway between the available fixed sizes). That would be a more substantial savings in weight but my poles would always be 5cm longer or shorter than I really like. And I wouldn't be able to use them to support my pyramid tent without some additional adjustable gizmo.

I could try the ones that are 90g less in a store but I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference without using them for some amount of time, perhaps a few hours.

I've seen some pretty skimpy CF poles. No tip, hardly any handle, mainly just a super skinny shaft. So fragile looking. I wonder sometimes with all of the UL stuff if all it's really doing is causing our muscles to atrophy.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 8:40 am

As for skiing, I find poles are often there for balance and for that quick dab of power, so skinny to me is good as long as they are strong. A well designed and manufactured CF pole can be exactly that.

UL won't cause atrophy if you walk, unless gravity disappears. LOL
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 10:10 am

Orion wrote:I've seen some pretty skimpy CF poles. No tip, hardly any handle, mainly just a super skinny shaft. So fragile looking. I wonder sometimes with all of the UL stuff if all it's really doing is causing our muscles to atrophy.

I had been using the same pair of Ruta Locura CF poles (120g each with mini basket) for seven years before I finally fell on one and cracked the bottom section. I taped it up and continued to use it but another accident finally made it unusable a couple of days later. I think that the fall would have at least bent any normal pole so they are pretty durable. Replaced the bottom section and they are still going strong. What I did find after changing from a pair of heavy Komperdell poles to the cf poles is that I no longer used the wrist strap whereas with the Komperdells I always used the straps.

I don't tend to do much off track these days but just carry both poles in one hand for short awkward sections or in the pack for longer ones.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby RonK » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 10:27 am

Xplora wrote:
RonK wrote:Trekking in the Himalaya, I was amazed by the pace of European walkers. They use the poles to really drive along. After a little practice I could almost keep up with them. It's hard to consider anyone a dork when they have just blown you off the trail.

I suppose this is true if the object of the walk is to get to the end as quick as you can.

On the contrary - the object may be to trek further.
RonK

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion