How's it effected you?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

How's it effected you?

Postby drakkar » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 11:14 pm

After a recent conversation with a mate I thought this might make a good topic.

How has bushwalking/hiking/tramping/etc impacted on the rest of your lifestyle?

For me I'm living more and more simply or minimalist. Knowing I can survive out of a pack for a week, made me realise how superficial the rest of my world is.

I now also struggle to buy an item that doesn't have multiple uses, and make an effort to keep fitter to enjoy my next adventure more.

Is there anything unexpected it changed in your lives for better or worse?
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: How's it effected you?

Postby andrewa » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 11:32 pm

Depends whether you live by yourself, or with wife and 4 daughters! I'm with you. Not sure the rest of family get it, except perhaps daughter 3
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 9:15 am

drakkar wrote:Knowing I can survive out of a pack for a week, made me realise how superficial the rest of my world is.

Although I sympathise with this sentiment, in reality, the rest of the world is of immense value and far from superficial. The simplest example in the context of this discussion would be that you need much of that "rest of the world" in order to fill that pack (and to manufacture that pack). That's far from superficial! :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 10:04 am

Kind of a pun to use the word effected, as if to imply (no doubt without intending) that bushwalking has essentially made you who you are.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby drakkar » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 10:21 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
drakkar wrote:Knowing I can survive out of a pack for a week, made me realise how superficial the rest of my world is.

Although I sympathise with this sentiment, in reality, the rest of the world is of immense value and far from superficial. The simplest example in the context of this discussion would be that you need much of that "rest of the world" in order to fill that pack (and to manufacture that pack). That's far from superficial! :-)

Superficial may not have been the correct word. I'm not articulate enough to go beyond that though.
And don't disagree with what your saying, I did mean my little bubble in this world. Not the whole world.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 2:25 pm

*affected

In other words, it certainly hasn't made me any less of an obsessive, nit-picking pedant.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby jdeks » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 9:30 pm

I have truly perfected the absolute minimum amount of toilet paper required for a 'clean exit'.

hey, you asked!
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 1:54 am

A: More aware of the environment around me and what's under my feet.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 6:03 am

jdeks wrote:I have truly perfected the absolute minimum amount of toilet paper required for a 'clean exit'.

The best I have ever done is 3 squares of 2 ply which I had to borrow. Only take 3 ply now.

You started it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 7:54 am

drakkar wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:

Superficial may not have been the correct word. I'm not articulate enough to go beyond that though.
And don't disagree with what your saying, I did mean my little bubble in this world. Not the whole world.

Naaaah, 'superficial' is right. Mainstream western society is more about 'things' than about experiences and realities. It's day to day, shallow, getting through.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Singe » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 8:31 am

I'm more concerned about the term "borrow" than the quantity, tbh...

Xplora wrote:
jdeks wrote:I have truly perfected the absolute minimum amount of toilet paper required for a 'clean exit'.

The best I have ever done is 3 squares of 2 ply which I had to borrow. Only take 3 ply now.

You started it.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 8:35 am

Nah, growing up dirt poor taught me that.
Suppose it could have been worse. We did have proper dunny paper rather than having to use old newspaper or whatever, even if it was the cheap scratchy kind.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:44 am

I really can't think of anything significant that I learned just from bushwalking/hiking/backpacking/tramping/trekking/walking/etc.

Before I started walking around in the wilderness with a pack I already had an environmental awareness. I understood the value of living a life that is relatively simple and frugal (for years I didn't have a phone). I already believed that the many things in our world are superficial.

The only thing I can think of, really, is that I figured out that (a) I do really want to use toothpaste, and (b) I only need a tiny amount of it on my brush to be happy, just a fraction of a gram. That was something I probably never would have come to realize otherwise, as there is no scenario I can think of in which I would intentionally deprive myself of toothpaste.

When I come home from a trip I sleep in a bed, not the dirt. I have electric lights and other appliances; I don't use my headlamp or build a fire. There is piped water, no stream or lake. Hot water even. Beer is available in quantities.

And I can use as much toothpaste and toilet paper as I want.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby johnw » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:25 am

north-north-west wrote:*affected

In other words, it certainly hasn't made me any less of an obsessive, nit-picking pedant.

Yes, and still we love you for it anyway :wink:
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 9:57 pm

Bushwalking? Maaate. My dad did *&%$#! all with me.
I discovered bushwalking when my first boy was very young, after having car camping down pat with my wife.
Our 2 boys grew up with camping and bushwalking. We have, as a family, tackled some awesome bushwalking adventures together.
Our bushwalking adventures are a common denominator. I have now upped the giggle factor. I have declared to my wife and boys that I am going to do a long , long walk in the Park(s). Starting Jan 1/1/18
Currently, Bushwalking defines me. My boys think I am a bit crazy, but have overheard them telling friends in positive terms. My wife tearily told me tonight that whilst she thinks I am a bit doolally tap, she is supportive.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby puredingo » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 5:45 pm

It's put a significant dent in my already struggling surfing career...my two main interest in life are the two most incompatible activities ever...and it's been a constant battle.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 6:34 pm

geoskid wrote:Bushwalking? Maaate. My dad did *&%$#! all with me

Oh boy, can I relate to that, having grown up in a family with absolute zero interest in the outdoors, or anything vaguely adventurous that wasn't organised team sport. In fact I think it's probably fair to say that my late father was terrified of the bush and thought no one should go there. Years ago my youngest son, in his early teens I think, pleaded with me to take him bushwalking. Neither of us has ever looked back. Many years later we still sometimes walk together but mostly has his own agenda of canyoning, abseiling et al. I mostly walk solo nowadays and it suits me to do that much of the time. I do struggle to divide my time between bushwalking, cycling (road and MTB), distance running and other fitness activities, and travel, while still working full time. But I can finally see retirement on the horizon and hopefully remain fit enough to enjoy my passions more fully :).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 7:11 pm

I don't understand this question. Isn't bashing around in the bush just a normal part of life.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Re: How's it affected you?

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 8:18 am

RonK wrote:I don't understand this question. Isn't bashing around in the bush just a normal part of life.

True. BW has taught me to be patient, to focus on short-term goals now with the long-term goals always in mind. There's no running up big mountains for most people, who have to plod, one step at a time. Happiness in the bush is potable water, a flat sheltered campsite, and a view. Downhill after breakfast is nice, one good reason to camp on summits. In the bush all my gear is on my back, so at home my needs are simple. Why should I want for flash new items when the ones I have work perfectly? I'm a non-consumer.

The bush has taught me about friendship, about looking after each other. A few years ago a family came into Narcissus on the OLT in summer after dark, cannot recall the time. The weather was bad and they were borderline hypothermia-exhaustion. I helped them off with their gear and made some hot drinks for them. Seven months ago I swam from Mount Wills to Cleve Cole Hut, and was quite wrecked - cold, lots of rain, a vague track and old age do that. Someone made me a cup of tea. You never know when you will need help.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 10:10 am

north-north-west wrote:
drakkar wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:Although I sympathise with this sentiment, in reality, the rest of the world is of immense value and far from superficial. The simplest example in the context of this discussion would be that you need much of that "rest of the world" in order to fill that pack (and to manufacture that pack). That's far from superficial! :-)

Naaaah, 'superficial' is right. Mainstream western society is more about 'things' than about experiences and realities. It's day to day, shallow, getting through.

Although my initial comment (above) was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, there is an element of truth to it. I certainly did not mean to imply that everything in "the rest of the world" is far from superficial. Clearly that would be a crazy statement. What I meant was that "the rest of the world" is not entirely superficial, and does contain some far-from-sperficial elements.

In particular, outside of bushwalking, the majority of my time is spent at work and with my family.

Work earns me money, which facilitates buying bushwalking gear and enables my bushwalking. So it is not superficial. :-)

Family is more important to me than bushwalking, so that ain't superficial either.

I'm probably the most anti-social person I know. However, I've come to the belief that relationships in general are a critically important part of life. Therefore, against all my own natural instincts, I do sometimes make some effort to spend time with people (mostly when my wife makes me do it), and as much as I don't naturally choose it, I do think that this in not superficial.

I guess what I was getting at is that although bushwalking is a big deal to me, it does not define me, and my life has more dimensions.

In fact, bushwalking is probably one of the most selfish aspects of my life. I've learned over the last 8 years or so, that when I go bushwalking, other people suffer (I can't figure out why they like having me around!). And I need to balance that very carefully. I can tell you that's been a serious mental trial for me in recent years.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:54 pm

After making a big effort to cut down my pack weight this year from the 17-20kg packings of old..

Ive noticed this philosophy has now taken hold for work trips... I now take a 20L day pack on any trip under three nights.. fits the laptop, set of casual clothes/shoes, deodorant/toothbrush etc and a couple rolled business shirts. My goal being to never visit the baggage claim again ! :mrgreen:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 9:16 pm

Bushwalking is win win for me. Wife has bad ankles but happy to go for an easy day walk. Kids have their own social life and hate going on family holidays. So living a city lifestyle, I look forward to escaping the city lights, having an excuse to avoid those boring dinner parties and being alone.

The big win for me is weight lose, general health and the feeling of being in the moment (sounds corny I know). Maybe the only downside is the chores around the house get ignored and the walks to work to keep fit for walking are boring.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkerchris77 » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 8:07 am

Beats watching the new australian hells kitchen thats for sure...
walkerchris77

Postby Nuts » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 12:33 pm

As a kid it would have been the Desiderata, now there's an Minimal Impact code on the toilet wall.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 4:51 pm

"Go placidly among the scrub and the mud, and respect what wildlife there may be with silence..."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GregR » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 5:31 pm

north-north-west wrote:"Go placidly among the scrub and the mud, and respect what wildlife there may be with silence..."

Gold. Keeps both camps happy.
GregR

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 9:55 am

How's it affected you?

It makes me think more about the big picture.

As a shift worker who is on call and at the whim of my employer calling, it resets my body and emotional clocks.

Lastly, it has encouraged me to get others involved.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 11:25 am

This was in the magazine a while ago.

Distintegrata

Go placidly amid the snow and mist and remember what peace there may be in a white out. Consider also sudden deceleration like pride usually goes before a fall. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all beginners. Avoid intimate relationships with inanimate objects for they too will bring pain. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to other instructors, even the dull and ignorant; for they too have their skills. Avoid loud and aggressive gurus who recommend tight lycra pants and Salomon bindings for they are vexatious to the spirit. Do not compare yourself with others lest you give up in disgust; you may become vain and bitter, for always there are greater and lesser skiers than yourself. Enjoy your snowplough turns as well as your Telemarks for each has its place. Keep interested in cornices and cliffs, however humble; for they are a real danger and verily they can be great let downs. Exercise caution in shops for they can be full of gadgets. Be yourself. Especially do not feign great experience. Neither be cynical about yourself or your gifts. Take not kindly the council of the years; age not gracefully; surrendering not the things of youth for all these can be enjoyed in old age. Nurture strength of spirit as well as your tent to shelter you. But do not distress yourself with imaginings, your worst fears will come true by themselves. Your are a child of the slopes, no less than the trees, and be it clear to you or not, no doubt a blizzard is brewing. Whatever your labours and aspirations in the muddled confusion of trip organisation keep peace in your soul. With all its bruises and broken bones it is still a natural high. Be cheerful, strive to be happy and remember, not to stab your skis in the snow, for they may delaminate.

Barry and Glenys Earle, with apologies to Max Erhamann
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 10:39 pm

Well, it's a big part of my job now, since the career"pivot". Sure I've moved to a mostly support/logistics role, but just being able to share the outdoors keeps me occupied and mostly out of trouble.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Bushwalking Discussion