Bush walking after hip replacement

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Bush walking after hip replacement

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 1:18 pm

Might be time to do a new list, as I have bought some new gear; although this winter I will be base camping and skiing most of the season. Gear money is almost exhausted except for a new headlamp tho. The Nunatak quilt took most of it
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Arapiles » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 7:46 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Arapiles the queue for a THR is about 2 years for urgent cases, mine was urgent, but for none-urgent cases it can take up to 5 years or more to actually get up on the slab, until then believe me you really do need the drugs, lots of drugs and often.

I was once in the public system for an ACL so I understand the waits - but it's presumably not impossible to get checked out by an orthopaedic surgeon and get their opinion.

Re the drugs, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in 2006 and I finally had the Adept operation this year, 12 years later. In the interim I usually only needed panadol, and then only on the one or two days every couple of months that the osteocytes were depositing on the joint. I don't think that I have a high pain threshold, but instead the fact that I was fit, kept my weight down and was active in mostly non-weight bearing exercise kept it under control. My experiences with people who rely on drugs for medical conditions is that there's a cascade effect that causes other problems.

By the way, what do you count as XXL? I'm 90kg in my socks, so I'm not exactly a lightweight.
Arapiles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 10:10 pm

117 chest 184 tall 110 kilos
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Arapiles » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 6:03 pm

Update

Today is a week short of 5 months since my operation. Saw my surgeon today and he cleared me to go bushwalking. Or riding, or whatever. He said to go running if I wanted to. He thinks the prosthetic has settled really well and will work for me for the rest of my life. So, all good news. Next check-up in 2020.

I had heaps of physio and hydrotherapy from the second month, and massage, but have otherwise been very conservative. I will now work back to cycle commuting and un-loaded walks.

From next January I'll start thinking about getting back into bushwalking. See you outside.
Arapiles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 8:50 pm

While I haven't strapped boards to my feet yet I did do 22 kilometres of sled hauling last week with no problems apart from a general lack of fitness and flexibility. Skis I try form Monday or Tuesday
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion