Why are our trig points dissapearing

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Why are our trig points dissapearing

Postby Steve » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 12:53 am

From what I heard, trig point were being removed from mountaintops to help return the mountains to their natural beauty. That I can agree with to some degree, however dismantling cairns I do not agree with in the least. Especially when there once such as James Sprents constructed over 100 years ago. Shame on the people, and so I've heard apparently park rangers too, for this destruction. :evil:
Last edited by Steve on Sun 06 Sep, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 5:20 pm

Yeh I heard that too, but then why are they just tossing the remains over the edge of the mountains? Just doesnt fit.

And I totally agree with the Cairns thing! Alot of them have been there so long now they become a part of our history!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 7:02 pm

Just to clarify, to the best of my parks knowledge, there has never been any Parks program to remove either the metal trigs or the old rock cairns from mountain tops. I suspect some Parks folks support the removal of the metal ones but part of their job is to protect the heritage assets (which the rocks cairns would be).

I personally heard of (non pws) folks who were hell bent on getting rid of the metal ones and would go to quite some lengths to get rid of them, however that was back in the mid 90's. I have not heard of any recent incidents and certainly don't support chucking the remnants off the mountain tops.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby corvus » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 7:29 pm

Curiouser and curiouser who are these" Trig Terrorists " and who knows what ??
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 7:43 pm

I will keep an eye out for guys on mountain tops carrying sledgehammers or other heavy duty tools!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 10:52 pm

With this thread somewhat fresh in my mind, I just about misted up on walking over a last ridge to the summit, and spotting one heroically rusting trig marking my point of destination & exultation: - the top! (This is on the weekend.)

Offering neither shade nor protection, and of no practical use whatsoever anymore in the modern world, I realised with fond recognition, that this trig (and it's many brethren) were like quite a few people I know.

People that I've daydreamed about being moved from their positions, by means of helicopter or alternative heavy machinery.
And whom I probably wouldn't miss, once the exhaust fumes had drifted away on the breeze.

At which point I was suddenly overcome with a twisted kind of affection for the old things (the people, the trigs, everything! - as I say I was getting emotional, and was probably somewhat dehydrated).

Leave 'em be, let 'em stay, they're great, I'm sure that lunch wouldn't have tasted as good under a "truly open" sky as under a trig point. And the rusty old foot bracket made a beaut cutting board for my rusty old tomatoes that I'd brought up.

So - I've decided to change my tune from ambivalence to affection on trigs - for no rational reason.
Sign me up for the Trig Appreciation Society (A&NZ Division).
As I have no real passion (as such), but just a vague affection, I'd better not seek office of any importance at the Society
Maybe I could set up the chairs in the hall for the meetings...
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ashlee » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 11:52 am

Son of a Beach wrote:I don't have a problem with trig points being removed, but if they are merely being thrown over the edge of the mountain, surely that's worse than leaving them in their original position!

I actually like getting to the top of a mountain and NOT finding a great concrete and steel structure there. I understand that they were there for a reason, and that they are part of our history, and I don't have a problem with that. But I also have no problem with them being removed, and having the mountain tops looking more like mountain tops again. So long as they are not left as rubbish lying below the summit (and that the concrete pads are also removed - which they generally are not, because that would be too much like hard work).

I agree with SOAB. I won't miss the rusty old trig points - they're not exactly attractive, and I much prefer a natural mountain top. I think it's a good idea to get rid of them. I go bushwalking to feel like I'm away from it all, like I'm in the wilderness I guess. It's hard to feel like that when there's in ugly structure sharing the summit with you. But yes the cairns are another thing. As I see it, walkers that make it to the summits of some mountains contribute to these cairns by placing another rock. It's different.
ashlee
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crockle » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 12:23 pm

I take it you don't wish to join the Society ashlee.
Fair enough - you make your points well.
That's one less chair I have to put out too.. :)
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Steve » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:31 am

ashlee wrote:I won't miss the rusty old trig points - they're not exactly attractive, and I much prefer a natural mountain top. I think it's a good idea to get rid of them. I go bushwalking to feel like I'm away from it all, like I'm in the wilderness I guess. It's hard to feel like that when there's in ugly structure sharing the summit with you.
I agree with you 90% of the time there, on some mountains they're quite useful as you know your at the top when the top isn't very prominent. Rusty old trig point can actually be attractive if in the right place and right conditions. I confess I usually get a shot of the trig point in.

I thought the old trig point on Mt Cameron West looked pretty good with the sun getting pretty low. The combination of being blasted by the salty ocean air and being right in line with the Roaring 40s will eventually cut it down.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jose » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 4:36 pm

I went up Mt Pearse this week and the 'Trig Terrorists' haven't left that peak looking like nature intended. If they think this looks better than a standing trig then I'm ready to join the Society. There was no safety threat from corrosion on the trig as the metal is still in good solid condition but now there is a safety hazard with the four sharp metal stumps sticking out at knee height. The cut-off trig is only a couple of metres from its base. It looks like vandalism to me.
Attachments
Trig stump.jpg
Trig stump.jpg (142.52 KiB) Viewed 13144 times
Pearse Trig discarded.jpg
Pearse Trig discarded.jpg (129.04 KiB) Viewed 13144 times
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crockle » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 4:49 pm

That *does* look tragic .
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 6:38 pm

Still no answer as to who is doing this, I now suspect non approved removal .
We do have a parks staffer on this forum perhaps they could do some digging and get back to us.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm sure parks would no condone this. I hope they (or somebody) catches these people and gets them to personally clean up all the mess they've made on our mountains.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 7:45 pm

Do we have a dark green vandal in our midst :?
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Taurë-rana » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 8:19 pm

It's a bit like what was happening in the 80's with people removing tape from taped routes thereby potentially endangering other people's lives. I would join the trig appreciation society, they are so much a part of my bushwalking heritage and a symbol of reaching the summit. I have never found them intrusive.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corvus » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 8:42 pm

My bet is that the lilly livered perpetrators of this vandalisim will nevever own up :evil:
and I still see a very dark green in my minds eye.
If I am wrong please accept my apology.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby flyfisher » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 8:53 pm

I think you are right Corvus, but people like that think they have a devine right to "fix"what they think is wrong.

Trig points were put there for a legitament purpose and many people do like to arrive at one after they have done the hard yards. If they have a real beef with them because they see it as spoiling the wilderness, then they are not true to their own beliefs, or they would take the whole thing out of the area altogether.

ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby corvus » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 9:01 pm

Eco vandals tends to make me not listen to any other protest they may be staging :(
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 9:04 pm

Indolent bar stewards that they are why not carry it out :evil:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby jose » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 10:21 pm

Well..it is a good quality metal and would be worth recycling but unfortunately too heavy for me to carry out. I could grow some good beans on it for many many years if I could transplant it to my garden! I guess the vandals were also wimps.
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Steve » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 4:05 pm

tastrax wrote:Just to clarify, to the best of my parks knowledge, there has never been any Parks program to remove either the metal trigs or the old rock cairns from mountain tops.

Also to clarify on my note about rangers, I believe the info I got was slightly wrong. It was not the summit cairns but the trail cairns they were referring too. :oops:
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 4:07 pm

Removing trail cairns is much much worse in my opinion as it could seriously lead to someone becoming lost!
Thats very irresponsible behaviour in my mind and if rangers are doing this then they are worse than the trig vandals!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Steve » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 6:10 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Removing trail cairns is much much worse in my opinion as it could seriously lead to someone becoming lost!
Thats very irresponsible behaviour in my mind and if rangers are doing this then they are worse than the trig vandals!

I would agree but don't shoot the rangers just yet. That just what I've heard; nothing other than hearsay to back it up.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 9:52 pm

When I first started walking in Tasmania - in the mid 70's, it seemed that a lot of the local walkers (or at least the ones that I met in the bush or talked to in Hobart between trips) - would make a habit of removing summit cairns (I never saw any remove trig points though). And there was also a move to remove a lot of cairns marking routes. Eg - when I first traversed the Franklin Range in 1979 - we found almost no cairns. I imagine the range would have had routes marked by cairns, like the Arthurs does, when it was more accessible before Lake Peddar was destroyed. Some parts of the Du Cane Range have been marked by cairns at various times and at other times the cairns have been removed. Eg going into Big Gun Pass from the south - had cairns in the 70's, none in the 80's and 90's but now has some sparse ones. Similar to a route off Falling Mtn to Du Cane Gap - I did spot cairns on one early trip - but not on most other trips.

I think the feeling was in the 70's that walkers should be prepared to visit these places without resorting to route markers. I was quite sympathetic to such a view - and we followed this advice in more remote parts of our local walking country - the Blue Mts near Sydney. This is now called standard minimal impact bushwalking.

On my first trip to the Western Arthurs, I can remember being on top of Mt Hesperus - which I think had a trig at the time. Looking down below the peak - I remember seeing several old trigs - many metres below. I assumed they had been hit and destroyed by lightning. At least it looked like they had. (But lightning does not saw off metal legs!) Now Hesperus currently does not have a trig. Was the one we saw removed as part of an official policy? It was certainly not of historic value. Or did walkers remove it? or was it too destroyed by lightning? or was it pushed off the top by walkers who didn't like its presence?

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Singe » Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:35 am

corvus wrote:My bet is that the lilly livered perpetrators of this vandalisim will nevever own up :evil:
and I still see a very dark green in my minds eye.
If I am wrong please accept my apology.
corvus

Could be anyone, couldn't it - tho surely if it were some sort of 'statement' by shadowy enviro-terrorists they would be more than eager to let the world know who they were and what they were up to?
corvus wrote:Eco vandals tends to make me not listen to any other protest they may be staging :(
corvus

Couldn't agree with you more, there.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 7:08 pm

jose wrote:I went up Mt Pearse this week and the 'Trig Terrorists' haven't left that peak looking like nature intended. If they think this looks better than a standing trig then I'm ready to join the Society. There was no safety threat from corrosion on the trig as the metal is still in good solid condition but now there is a safety hazard with the four sharp metal stumps sticking out at knee height. The cut-off trig is only a couple of metres from its base. It looks like vandalism to me.

Pretty determined vandals to carry in a hacksaw and then spend however long cutting through the four legs.
If they had to do that, WTH couldn't they have cut closer to the base?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby corvus » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 7:55 pm

Because it is easier to cut up high. :x
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Pedro » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 5:59 pm

So, back to the topic.

This was Cradle in 2000:
Cradle Trig.jpg
Cradle Trig Point

Now there is nothing but the concrete pads.

This is the site of the trig on Mt Eliza:
Mt Eliza Trig.JPG
Mt Eliza Summit

Nothing but a couple of pads.

Still a good traditional trig on Black Bluff:
Black Bluff Trig.JPG
Black Bluff Summit

So who is doing this?
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Steve » Fri 16 Oct, 2009 4:29 pm

They'd be too scared to post after reading this thread. :lol:
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MJD » Sat 17 Oct, 2009 2:38 pm

I certainly don't like to see the summit cairns being removed. Not so fussed about trig points if it's done properly. This is dispite my mishap the other month when I stood up on the summit of Mt Llyod after bending over to pick up my camera bag. Unfortunately for me I stood up under the cross bracing of the trig point and all I can say is that the trig point won. It took almost a week before I could walk without pain and getting from the summit back to the car was very very slow and painful as ILUVSWTAS can attest.

Here's an old photo of the cairn that once adorned the summit of Mt Field East. (I was holding the camera in case you were wondering.)
Attachments
M1974C002.jpg
Mt Field East (1974)
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion