Keplar, Routeburn or Milford?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Keplar, Routeburn or Milford?

Postby Ellobuddha » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 6:00 pm

Heading to NZ in November. Mainly for mountain biking but we are really keen to do a walk as well as we have three weeks in total.

Which of the 3 would you suggest as the best? We might try to squeeze two in. I know its a broad question but this is the best place to get some experienced opinions.

If there is anywhere else we should be looking at on the South Island please advise. Happy to take a tent. Dont really like staying in huts.

Thanks in advance.

EB
Ellobuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Keplar, Routeburn or Milford?

Postby PedroArvy » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 7:23 pm

Don't do any of those - too crowded. Do the Five Passes - it's more spectacular without the crowds.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Suz » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:44 pm

It is easy to connect the Milford and Routeburn and do it as one hike...takes approx 1 week
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:11 pm

Nelson Lakes is nice., higher, treeless, wilder, less people.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ribuck » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:53 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Nelson Lakes is nice., higher, treeless, wilder, less people.

Less-bad weather, too.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby L_Cham_67 » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 12:06 am

If you're not a fan of huts, then I'd stay clear of the Milford. Camping is not permitted anywhere on the Milford, while the other two do have camping alternatives.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby PedroArvy » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 11:21 am

Camping on Milford Sound is possible if you are 500m from the track
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 1:12 pm

Only hut accommodation is available (and mandatory) on the Milford Tk. If you love teeming, seething masses of slow-moving humanity, the Milford delivers. That is to say you won't feel alone anywhere along it. It is very busy all year round (assuming you made your booking quite a while ago in advance), never mind about the middle of Spring when numbers dramatically increase. Pity the environment, too... :?
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lindsay » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 1:54 pm

While the Milford is very popular and the restrictions can be annoying DOC seems to be doing the best they can to manage the numbers. Even with the restrictions it's an iconic walk and worth the hassle. I found if I was up and away early I saw very few other walkers during the day. The downside was twiddling my thumbs in a hut all afternoon because I was not permitted to progress further, although I took the opportunity to head up Mackinnon pass from Mintaro Hut, take some photos then back again. If you combine the Routeburn, Greenstone and Caples tracks you can have a very nice walk with less people and camping is permitted.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wayno » Wed 16 Aug, 2017 4:34 am

milford track booked out for summer when bookings opened months ago, routeburn pretty much booked out, kepler will book out if it hasnt already. you cant rocks up to them and just get on the tracks. its mainly foreigners who are booking the tracks out. then surrounding tracks are worse because they are overloaded with the people who couldnt get onto the great walks and theres no limits on numbers
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Orion » Wed 16 Aug, 2017 6:20 am

We booked the "booked up" Kepler on the fly while there last December. Spots do open up, including on the Milford.

I thought the Routeburn and Kepler were of similar quality but different in character and length.
We didn't do the Milford because of the regimented itinerary and the huts-only requirement.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby roysta » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 8:22 pm

Ellobuddha wrote:Heading to NZ in November. Mainly for mountain biking but we are really keen to do a walk as well as we have three weeks in total.

Which of the 3 would you suggest as the best? We might try to squeeze two in. I know its a broad question but this is the best place to get some experienced opinions.

If there is anywhere else we should be looking at on the South Island please advise. Happy to take a tent. Dont really like staying in huts.

Thanks in advance.

EB
I've done Routeburn 4 times and the Kepler 3 times and I've been roped into doing Milford next year.
But, I agree that there are other better tracks.
Look at Five Passes or the Rees Dart, even the Greenstone/Caples or the Wilkin and Young Valleys.
Try to get hold of a book called Moirs Guide North, it'll give you some ideas. NZ Alpine Club has it.
The crowds on the Great Walks are getting pretty awful.
Good fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Postby RonK » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 11:18 pm

Ellobuddha wrote:Heading to NZ in November. Mainly for mountain biking but we are really keen to do a walk as well as we have three weeks in total.

Mountainbiking or bikepacking? Whatever, it may be possible to combine a walk with a very interesting ride.

My suggestion - contact the Around The Mountains Cycle Trail operator and ask if they can transport your backpacks on the Sherpa Shuttle and leave them at North Mavora Lake, then collect them again at a prearranged date. I was there earlier this year and they couldn't have been more accommodating.

Take the TS Ernshaw across Lake Wakatipu to Walter Peak Station, the Sherpa Shuttle leaves from here carrying riders on a half-day ride to North Mavora Lake. Cycle to North Mavora Lake, hide your bikes in the bush, or there may be a ranger in residence at the Mavora Campground who is willing to keep an eye on them.

Follow the Mavora Walkway to the Greenstone Track and walk a Greenstone/Caples circuit, or possibly a Greenstone/Routeburn circuit and return via the Mavora Walkway.

Then you could cycle the return route to Walter Peak Station, or continue on the Around the Mountains route.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 3:47 am

DON'T DO THE FIVE PASSES UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCED IN DIFFICULT TRAMPS IN NZ, A LOT OF PEOPLE NEED RESCUING AND GET LOST OR SHOOT THEIR BOLTS ON THE FIVE PASSES.....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby bobcrusader » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 11:42 am

1. Milford - if you can get a booking. Every tramp will have pros and cons - we had a great time meeting new people and sharing our experience with like minded hikers. Singing Elvis songs with a couple of Wollongong boys and playing Cheat with Israelis just out of the army - good times! The huts, mattresses, toilets and cooking facilities mean you can take more photography gear. Beware the sandflies - they are not stopped by any kind of insect repellent and the bites can last for months.
2. Routeburn - still on our bucket list
3. Keplar - not that it's a bad option, just that the other 2 are among the best in the world.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ellobuddha » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks for all the opinions everyone.

We have decided to do the Routeburn then a day kicking back in Te Anau then onto the Kepler. Seemed like a way to do a good loop from Queenstown and back.

Will be keen to suss out some of the "quieter/remote" trails next trip over.

Thanks again
EB
Ellobuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion