Lord Howe Island

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Lord Howe Island

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 7:03 am

There's an article in today's Age about a new Great Walk on Lord Howe Island that covers 7 (or 8 ) peaks on the island over 4 days.

Basically stay in a 5-star resort each night then do mostly half-day walks with a guide. One full day walk for the largest peak.

Not really my idea of a "Great Walk" when you compare it to the others! More of a "Nice Walk".

It does raise the question of what makes a walk "Great".

http://www.traveller.com.au/lord-howe-i ... alk-gy63or

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by ChrisJHC on Fri 15 Sep, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Lord Howe Island

Postby Biggles » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 10:24 am

Yes, it's bringing up a bit of discussion. The Lord Howe Island Great Walk has disincentivised itself almost immediately by the very steep cost of close to $3,000 (once you add air fares there and back). I was shocked. Don't get me wrong, Lord Howe is a gem, a truly beautiful place to wander around without fear of getting lost or bitten or poisoned, and swimming anywhere is one of the greatest joys one can experience. But something costing this much brings into question the sort of people it is trying to attract: the nuveau riche with cash to splash for a walk led by a leader who carries a bowie knife and secateurs as opposed to the inveterate DIY walker who packs only what he needs and sets off independently without being told where and when to go? For that amount I'd rather hire a nice beachfront bungalow, a bike to pedal around on, a banana lounge and 2 long weeks doing absolutely nothing — except photography in the morning, swimming during the day and more photography in the evening. Same marvellous, hedonistic experience, but with enough cash left over to continue a lazy sabatical at another stop in paradise.
Last edited by Biggles on Thu 14 Sep, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 11:20 am

hehe glamping is very popular ! :lol:

Though for the cost Id be questioning the enjoyment factor of having 13+ people I see accompanying the walk leader in one photo. Its a walk not a tour bus..
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kicyclist » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 11:34 am

Lord Howe has always been an expensive place to reach. The Island was never found by polynesians so remained untouched by humans until discovered by the english as they started the colony of New South Wales. At 600k from the Australian mainland there is no ferry and flying is the only viable option. 100 years ago the earliest tourists traveled to the island by steamer which took 3.5 days one way.
Once on the island you can do any of the walking tracks on your own except Mt Gower, swim& snorkel at any beach and stay at moderately priced units.
There is no need to pay for this great walk with an armed guide. As Biggles said the place is a gem and you wont get lost, the Island is only 2.8k at its widest and 11k long. My wife& I had no problem doing a different walk every day for a week in may this year. There are places to stay there for $1000 per night. There are also some choices for less than $150 pn. There is no camping allowed and also no Cruise ships visiting.
Lord Howe has the world's southernmost coral reef, warm water year round so the swimming is fantastic. At Ned's beach you can swim with 1m kingfish plentiful even in the shallows.
kicyclist
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 11:49 am

Most of the $3000 is for accom at Pinetrees, which is one of the more expensive accom options on the island.

As kicyclist says, you can do the walk - with the exception of Mt Gower - by yourself. I suppose the advantage of a local guide is that you might see some things that you might not otherwise know were there.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 5:50 pm

I haven't been to Lord Howe, but I do hope to go there some time. I would actually pay extra to be able to do Mt Gower without a guide.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Wollemi » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 11:49 am

Hello ribuck, I walked up Mt Gower alone without being challenged in 2005. I also met crew from other yachts that also competed in the now-defunct Gosford-LHI yacht race. Everybody travelled up very lightweight - no backpacks.
I was not secretive about it, either - I parked my cheaply-hired bicycle in the rack by itself at the parking area on a day not-nominated by authorities to be a climbing day.

Like climbing Flinders Island's Mt Strezlecki, do commence the walk up before 11am, or you will risk being in fog. The summit is flat, very broad, and very dark due to the tree coverage, and muddy. Glimpses of Balls Pyramid are seen through the trees. Yet the journey up is remarkable.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 4:13 pm

LHI actually sounds like a nice place to spend a relaxing week
Details of those $150- a nite places would be appreciated because no way am I spending $3k-
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 5:20 pm

Thank you, Wollemi, it's good to know that it can be done solo. Though I think I would find it too stressful to do what you did (long enough ago that the Statute of Limitations has elapsed).
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wollemi » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 6:58 pm

When doing 'illegal' stuff, just have a script ready. 'Hi there! Yep - saw the signs, but wished to come up very early before the famous humidity came in. I do have two bottles of water, and a compass, too.' Show compass, make lots of eye friendly eye contact, and talk about this years weeding program.
Yes, I have employed this stuff elsewhere in NSW, yet am nervous as when visiting Cooma Cottage (Hamilton Hume's home) out of hours, on my MTB in water catchment, or kayaking Sydney Harbour at midnight - and yes, authoritiy has challenged me on the last three things in recent years - yet end up having a yarn.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kicyclist » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Moondog,
Mary Challis Cottages& Waimarie Apartments were under $150pn. Ebbtide is where I stayed this year for $158pn for 2. Waimarie is near the airport, not sure where Mary Challis is. Ebbtide (02)6563 2023 is located 5minutes walk from Ned's beach facing NE. The hosts supply snorkel& masks and in season fruits& vegetables.
The Qantaslink airfare is expensive, sometimes there maybe a package deal in winter.
Google will show you that Oxley Travel are agents for many packages to LHI. There are some pictures of the island and nearby Balls Pyramid on their website.
The Walks there are outstanding and the swimming is warm.
kicyclist
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby tastrax » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 3:10 pm

Just remember food is relatively expensive and not a lot of choice for those that want to cook themselves on Lord Howe. Luggage limits are also tiny. Some places are inclusive of meals and can be good value if you hunt through the options.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 3:33 pm

kicyclist wrote:Mary Challis Cottages& Waimarie Apartments were under $150pn.

I took a look at Waimarie just now.

http://www.waimarielordhoweisland.com.au/rates/

Their winter rates (June-Aug) are listed at $300 per night. And they're totally booked for 2018. Shoulder season has availability at $400 per night.

Ebbtide appears to have a winter rate of $180. I think that's per night, not per person.

http://www.ebbtide-lhi.com.au/apartments.php
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion