Socks

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Socks

Postby A Jay » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 1:34 am

I'm heading to Barrington Tops on Tuesday for a multi-day hike. Got me compass and got three maps, stroud road, craven and gloucester. I wanted Chichester and gloucester tops as well, but the shop didn't have them, so I'll have to order those for another trip.

I'm wearing joggers, and now have to decide on socks. I can't afford new socks right now, I've heard woolen socks are the best for hiking.

But for this trip I have to decide from what is in my draw.

I have three choices. One is those cheap white low-cut synthetic sports socks. Two is your standard white cotton socks, which go up to the mid-calf. And the third option, I'm not sure exactly what the fabric is, but they are those really long, thin-ish, wide-spaced old-fashioned socks that school teachers used to wear, they come up above the knee, then the top folds down to just below the knee.

I'm not sure if they're also cotton, or something else. If they are cotton, then they're made differently from the other white cotton socks, as these ones have a lot of space between the stitches when you stretch it. Whereas those white cotton socks, are tightly sewn.

What's best for hiking?
A Jay
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Socks

Postby wayno » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 2:14 am

whatever is most comfortable and doesnt give you blisters... itdepends on the fit of the shoe, you cant wear thick socks in tight fitting shoes... thin socks arent good in loose fitting shoes. thin smooth liner socks with a main sock over the top is best to minimise blisters
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby A Jay » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 2:22 am

wayno wrote:whatever is most comfortable and doesnt give you blisters... itdepends on the fit of the shoe, you cant wear thick socks in tight fitting shoes... thin socks arent good in loose fitting shoes. thin smooth liner socks with a main sock over the top is best to minimise blisters

I haven't heard that about wearing two pairs of socks to minimize blisters before. Very interesting!
A Jay
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:10 am

It's an old school trick. I haven't done that myself in about twenty years as there are better socks available now.

What's next? Hats?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wayno » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 8:08 am

there are socks that are sold widespread in outdoor shops called "liner socks" for specific use for this purpose to reduce blisters. they are more important if you wear warm socks with a pile in them as a main sock and the pile is more likely to cause blisters because of the uneven surface and the bulk of them can create more pressure in the shoe
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby davidf » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 9:13 am

Check out Aldi work socks. About $5 for 3 pair. think they would be better than what you have
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby michael_p » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 9:53 am

I've been using ankle stockings (4 for $3 at Coles (or is it 3 for $4)) as a inner sock under thick outer socks for some years now. I've never had a blister since moving to a two sock system.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:04 am

wayno wrote:there are socks that are sold widespread in outdoor shops called "liner socks" for specific use for this purpose to reduce blisters. they are more important if you wear warm socks with a pile in them as a main sock and the pile is more likely to cause blisters because of the uneven surface and the bulk of them can create more pressure in the shoe

Absolutely true. But it's my perception that they are used a lot less often nowadays. I think it's partly because fewer people are walking around in big, heavy, stiff boots and partly because there are a greater variety of types of thicker socks. I used to wear leather boots and wool socks and, yep, liners. Now -- when I wear my leather boots -- I wear a much better (and much more expensive) sock that is still primarily wool, but a higher quality wool combined with synthetic materials. I just don't need a liner anymore.

The rest of the time I'm either in runners or low cut hiking shoes of some sort and can pretty much wear any sock I like, the difference mainly being durability.

One thing is for sure. I spend about ten times as much on socks as I used to.

Now ask me about my underpants.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:14 am

There are lots of different views on socks. I believe I am a bit left of centre in that I like a well fitting thin sock and wear my shoes very loose unless in very rocky terrain. It is important that the sock fits firmly because for blister avoidance you want any friction to be between the outer surface of the sock and the shoe/boot. The two sock system advocated by some is trying to achieve this by providing an extra interface for any friction to occur away from the skin and it can be effective but the first thing to ensure is that the foot to sock interface should be rub free thus a firm fit and a sock made with materials that will not slacken up and crease with warmth and moisture. To avoid your feet getting too hot and sweaty you need to match the thickness of the sock(s) to the conditions.

Unless you are walking in cold conditions I would avoid wool unless in a blend. Like many here I really like Darn Tough range you can get from https://www.socksaddict.com/brand/darn-tough. Don't confuse these with the work socks from locals like KMart, Target etc.

Finally the thickness of your socks provides a fine fitting mechanism to get your shoes/boots just right. Ultimately they are your feet and you need to find the system that works for you from the many possible options.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:19 am

The theory with two pairs of socks is that the thin (inner) socks move with your feet whereas the thicker (outer) socks move with your boots.
Any movement between the two results in the socks rubbing against each other rather than only having one sock that rubs against your skin leading to blisters.

Not so relevant with lighter shoes and there are now much better options around, however this may help with AJay's question.

I'm personally a big fan of the Injinji toe socks and have a mate who swears by their liner socks.

EDIT - just saw Mark F's post so it appears we're in heated agreement!
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:39 am

In the past I'd sometimes get blisters even though I was wearing liners. In fact I think sometimes the liners caused the blisters. If you get a little wrinkle in the thin material it's a point of irritation and a potential blister source. At some point I found I was better off without them.

Ironically, in my stiffest, winter plastic tele boots I wear socks that are thinner than what I sometimes wear in my hiking shoes in the summer. Like Mark, I like my shoes super sloppy loose 95% of the time (I put them on and take them off without touching the laces), and I prefer a somewhat cushy sock. But my ski boots fit tight like a glove, and the foam liner is so warm, that a thick sock is counterproductive for more than one reason. Typically I wear a thin wool blend in my ski boots but on occasion I just wear liners by themselves. That's actually what they had me wear when they were thermally fit to my feet.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 4:52 pm

A Jay wrote:What's best for hiking?

Based on the alternatives you presented, none of them sound much good!

Cotton is usually rubbish. The synthetic sports socks might be the best. But if you can afford 3 maps, surely you can afford a better pair of socks?

Generally a wool/synthetic blend is best. It might take trying a few different pairs to find one that works best for you. I like quite thick socks since my feet are odd shaped, and the thick socks help with padding.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 6:19 pm

The Gold Standard (imho) are thick Darn Tough Vermont Boot Socks, available through Amazon these days. Wool blend. The technical knitting in them is way ahead of anything else. They make them that way deliberately. Family run company.
Second in place are thick Thorlo socks. The knitting is not as good.
I wear Gobi Wigwam liner socks under the DTVs, but my wife skips the liners.

Just a thought: buy cheap, get cheap.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:57 pm

Just a hint if you take sports socks - they’re often include synthetic materials so don’t try to dry them out over a fire! Or, if you do, make sure you have a spare pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:58 pm

And for a future trip, Massdrop often has good hiking socks for a cheap price.

ChrisJHC

Postby Neo » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 8:09 pm

I like thin socks.

My favourite now are the Injinji liner sock.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 3:46 pm

There's a similar thread that may be of use
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24864&hilit=Socks
There are also patches that can be applied to the boots or footwear, allowing the sock to slip against the patch, and not the sock abrade the foot.
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/shop/
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 5:08 pm

I've got bad,blister prone, skin. Did the oxfam 100km walk earlier this year and looked up everything i could about blister prevention. As already said: two pair socks a great idea so rubbing occurs between them and not on your skin (injinji are great). Getting your skin wet is a big cause so some hydrophobic/hydrophilic socks help a lot (drymax). Also taking your boots and socks to dry off as often as possible. I stay clear of goretex for same reason: no breathing....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taswegian » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 7:43 pm

I grew up with 2 pairs socks. Inner thin, outer wool blend. Stuck with me to this day.

I found lanolin (wool fat) excellent for preventing blisters.
Liberally coated over suspect areas on skin before venturing out.
taswegian

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnk1 » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:39 pm

I agree about Lanolin. Fantastic for preventing blisters
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 6:03 am

There's a lot of other products for that too: butt butter, body glide - all the stuff cyclists use.
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:04 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Just a hint if you take sports socks - they’re often include synthetic materials so don’t try to dry them out over a fire! Or, if you do, make sure you have a spare pair.

True dat!!!

On the last night of a river walk i had my socks drying by the fire, hanging on sticks. Seeing as i needed to lighten my load for the early morning get away any remaining beverages where consumed with much gusto. I slept deep and soundly but forgot about the socks....In the morning I pulled the socks on and half stayed on the toes and half got pulled up my leg!! Luckily I did have a spair pair because the thought of humping it out of there sockless would be my worst nightmare.

Here's what ya do to aquire yourself some decent socks: Go to BigW get a pair of jeans, drape these jeans OVER the socks you want before entering the change room...get a 3 pack. Put the 3 pairs of socks on under your existing socks to be safe, return jeans to rack. Put on casual appearence and leave store at least an inch taller but hopefully unsuspected. Bingo!!! enjoy your socks.

PS Don't do this, it's a terrible idea but I've been sitting here for a month with 8 stitches in the arch of my foot from a surfing related stabbing and I'm about to go postal!!!!!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:59 am

puredingo wrote:... 8 stitches in the arch of my foot from a surfing related stabbing and I'm about to go postal!!!!!

Never drop in on someone else's wave.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby puredingo » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:40 am

This injury is by no means the worst I've had but it's definitely the most annoying, inconvenient and frustrating. The stitches wouldn't knit which in turn led to a staph infection which led to 5 courses of antibiotics...arghhhh!!! But more importantly it made me miss the last 6 weeks of good walking weather where I cram walks in to see me through summer.

And I never drop in, my surfing etiquette is far to refined....most of the time....
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion