Gear - take on probability of need or consequences?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Gear - take on probability of need or consequences?

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:06 pm

There are a number of reasons that we take gear, most being about survival at an acceptable level. It would be hard to do an extended walk with no shelter, sleeping mat or sleeping bag.

Some gear may be considered optional, either to take or to what degree. For example, most people carry a first aid kit. If a first aid kit is carried, how big does it have to be? Are the contents based on the probability of an event, or the consequences of not having, say, pain killers? On extended walks I have a small sewing kit, mainly due to consequences. On one trip the car dropped me off and I walked for a few minutes to the campsite. As I put the pack down a shoulder strap ripped out, which I then repaired. The consequence of no shoulder strap is serious, and this trip was 10 days. I have a sleeping mat repair kit, never used in maybe 20 years. If the mat gets a puncture it's uncomfortable to sleep on, so I have the means to fix it.

I'm interested in what might broadly be called optional items. Do you take these items due to the probability of needing them or the consequences of what would happen if you did not have the items and they are needed?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Gear - take on probability of need or consequences?

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:12 pm

I find a can of worms is optional but once you open it then its with you for a long time..

Serious responce: :mrgreen: Apart from my base kit what i take is dependant on the type of walk, duration, weather, terrain etc etc. Ive paired down what I take over the years and now take only must have items for the conditions. Sometimes working out what I need for the conditions is a gut call eg the probability of needing them (im usually weighing up the amount of clothes/food). I have been wrong on occasion and wish I brought more or less stuff.

I generally avoid taking repair kits apart from elastoplast tape which is fairly good for temporary repairing multiple things and first aid. (but for a 10 day trip in a alpine enviroment Id probably bring the mat repair kit, pole repair etc etc)

The only optional things would be snacks that I share with walking companions etc. but then again your also weighing up the probability your companions wil think you a stingy old *&%$#! if you just eat everyone elses snacks and dont bring your own to share. :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:34 pm

This is more or less what I do - tailor the gear for each trip. For example, if walking on mainly ridges that may involve camping away from water I take extra water capacity. In Tassie, most places have potable water, so less capacity is needed. I object to the word "old" when applied to me. I still have at least another six years of bushwalking left. Worms are not in my diet.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:49 pm

In regards to probability of consequences. I just added to my base kit a PLB.
Ive never needed one before (so would that make the probability of needing it low??) but I feel the potential consequences of not having it are very high, especially solo walking out of mobile reception.

On the other side of the coin.. does taking more things for contingencies increase the probability of injury/accident as a heavier pack can mean more fatigue? (not including the PLB in that counter argument.. referring to bringing extra clothes, repair kits, extra batteries, more water just in case, spare torch, rain paints, big and heavy first aid kit etc etc)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 8:26 pm

Cut back on some stuff over time but tent pole repair sleeve, gaffer, basic sewing kit, Alfoill have been useful at some point. Also a repair kit for mat and a shoe lace which I've never used. Bugger all in my first aid kit...snake bit and basic bandages/medication/tweezers.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:01 am

It seems to me that people often pack the things they wish they had brought on their previous bushwalk.

Then they keep bringing those things for years, never using them, until the things break or get lost. Then they stop bringing them. Then sometime soon they wish they had brought them, and the whole cycle starts again.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Rileyr » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 6:26 am

Im all about going light weight, but I dont like to skimp on some (what I beleive to be) essential things. These things stay in my pack no matter what.

I take a snake bite kit which is mounted ontop of my pack in a clearly labeled 'first aid kit' pouch. This is simply 3 broad bandages and an oropharyngeal. The bandages are enough for snake bites, demobilising broken or dislocated limbs or treating hemorrhaging. The oropharyngeal is only there for if my partner has something serious happen (would prefer a naso so I could use on myself in a dire situation). The pouch is instantly visible and accessible to anyone, so if im alone and have an accident and am unable to treat myself hopefully some one else can. It does weigh 250g.

Then I have what I call a 'personal first aid kit' which is for all the non serious injuries. It has some bandaids, Ibuprofen, disinfectant and thats about it. This is only 55g.

I also carry a repairs kit. Its a simple sewing kit with a big needle and strong thread, some duct tape and gaffer tape wrapped around a small peice of rubber tube, some zip ties and a spare fastex clip. This should be enough to temporarily mend most gear failures. This is 115g including tupperware box.

Then there is the survival kit which has a mirror for signaling, flint, cotton balls, razor blade, small glow sticks, small compass, some fishing line and a few hooks, some string etc. This is 250g (which may need to be slimmed down!).

I also carry a PLB at 150g. Such a huge positve to know that if something goes wrong that I could sit down and press a button. Or if I come across someone who needs help - where the option is to either render assistance OR go for help. With the PLB I can press a button AND render assistance.

These are always in my pack no matter what, all other peices of gear might swap and change a bit for different hikes.

This was ment to be a short post haha

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 6:43 pm

There is taking gear which is genuinely essential, and there is 'packing your fears'.
As you get older, the latter becomes a real burden.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 8:41 am

Gear? :?
This will depend on knowledge, which is the most valuable thing to take.
First aid knowledge can be had by going on a first aid course. Most first aid courses are for people who will obtain assistance (ambo etc) within 30 minutes. A remote area may mean a PLB activation - and that may mean a 3 hour response time, and that response may not have the assistance required/desired. If that concerns you seek a first aid course that provides information for patient care of over 30 minutes, these typically go for at least 3 days. Once you have completed your first aid course you should be able to specify your first aid kit realising that things like shirts can be used as bandages.
A PLB with GPS is part of my kit. Do realise your kit is for you, if someone else needs assistance use their equipment as they are the ones that may be transported out, leaving you to complete the rest of your trip with what you have.
What some term 'first aid' is really comfort aid, it is not life saving.

What other gear to take is very weather dependant. Most of Australia has a reasonably reliable weather forecast service. Good weather climate data too that give you the extremes that can be reasonably expected. The longer the duration to larger the extremes become. Escape paths for longer duration trips should be planned for those weather extremes and other problems.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion