A goods nights sleep

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: A goods nights sleep

Postby Warin » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 10:40 am

Orion wrote:I used to listen to hard rock music and would sleep with that going on, but perhaps not that soundly. More recently I downloaded hours and hours of natural sound recordings. My favorites are rainstorm recordings.

One time in a hut I wore my big over the ear studio type headphones all night long, listening to a thunderstorm recording. In the morning everybody was excitedly talking about the great thunderstorm that had come rolling through during the night. I had heard none of the real thunderstorm.

Ear plug user here - I find the hexagonal ones fairly comfortable, some prefer the bullet shaped ones.

Never played any music to go to sleep with but for thunderstorms while I'm awake I like to play Holst, The Planets, Mars the God of War. Sometimes the thunderstorm syncs with the music.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 10:42 am

I’ve also used an app called white noise ambience. The key is to have it very quiet, almost barely audible.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 10:14 pm

As much as I love tunes, I can not do music when out in the bush. It's natural to have a heightened level of alertness and vigilance outdoors, bit of an evolutionary throwback. I've learned to expect and enjoy that my daily rhythms differ once out of 'normal' daily life. This may mean you snooze in the sun during the afternoon or when conditions are favourable. I'm comfortable with a very early start, 5am, break camp and walk for a few hours before brekky. Snack through the day, early camp means arvo nap for a few hrs. Late dinner and full belly means a good rest til 5am. A change of scenery is a change of rhythm, I work with, and enjoy the different cycles hiking in the bush brings. Keep doing the same *&%$#! and expect the same result.
Luke
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion