Cleaning shoes after a walk to prevent fungi spread

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Cleaning shoes after a walk to prevent fungi spread

Postby Violet_Femme » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 6:01 pm

Do you or don't you?

I was just reading this and started thinking I should.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/dozen ... zyrko.html
Violet_Femme
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cleaning shoes after a walk to prevent fungi spread

Postby taswegian » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 6:37 pm

I'd like to think walkers would treat not just that but weeds and other nasties as something to be aware of.

Phytophthora is another highly dangerous problem that can make inroads across landscapes and trouble agricultural, industrial and wilderness alike.

Here we are working with Parks and Wildlife tackling some major infestations of Kunzea Ericoides as well as Spanish Heath on the approaches to the Mt Roland track at Gowrie Park.
Kunzea Ericoides is an aggressive weed, much like local Kunzea, difficult to eradicate and with a lovely white flower and aroma when crushed has an attraction to the uninitiated.

It's not just boots but general awareness of the need to not transport seeds etc unwittingly into our great outdoors.

Those weeds at Gowrie Park for egs could easily be carted to Cradle then The Walls, Freycinet, South West.

I'd encourage all walkers to take these matters seriously and like V_F give it serious thought translating to action.

Thanks V_F for your taking the time to consider the consequences.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Wollemi » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 7:06 pm

Dear Sydney Morning Herald,

I am concerned about the choice of headline on SMH webpage today; 'How one bushwalker could be to blame for latest biosecurity crisis'.

We bushwalkers get a fair amount of criticism for being 'risk-takers' and 'unprepared' when things go wrong, such as being overdue - and it does not help promotion of the otherwise healthy, quiet and thought-inducing activity to have these words put out there to rest on the casual readers thoughts.

The initial outbreak of Myrtle Rust occurred in the vicinity of a short loop walk alongside the Wisemans Ferry Road, alongside the Hawkesbury River. Any person can walk the Mill Creek Walking Track in any type of footwear, although to complete the loop is of over 10km.

And vehicle parking of any type is adjacent to the start of the walk. Which leads to the rest of the article; bushwalking on Cape York (for Bamaga is mentioned) is not anywhere near as common as nearer to Sydney. To get to Bamaga, 1000km north of Cairns is normally undertaken by a 4WD vehicle, not a bushwalker on foot (although that has been done by others). '...hats, tents and other gear' is used by 4WDs, motorcyclists, photographers, fishermen, and shooters, too. Dispersal by wind cannot be disregarded, either.

And so we see, any walker - and/or driver could have spread Myrtle Rust. I only ask that more considerate phrasing be utilised for notable headlines. Bushwalking may have lead to the introduction of Puccinia psidii. A bushwalk along the Mill Creek circuit would have also found the initial site of concern. Four years ago when running trails nearby also in Dharug National Park, I encountered crates of methylated spirits to use by spraying the soles and other surfaces of my shoes to counter the effects of this fungal disease.

With thanks,

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/thi ... nd-parking

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/dozen ... zyrko.html
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 9:27 pm

I wash my cloths after every walk but not typically my shoes/boots unless it has been a multi-day or dirty/muddy walk.
At least the article gave some practical advice. I was also able to find this https://invasives.org.au/project/keep-gear-clean-wild/ which mentions F10

But it looks like the F10 disinfectant has an expiry date of 2 years (in the USA at least) so not really practical. I think I'll start using a mix of metho and bleach. Anyone else got any ideas on how to properly disinfect footwear?
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 11:40 am

Boots/shoes and gaiters get warm water and a mild solution of Dettol. Soak and scrub . Ditto tent pegs and other things known to have into contact with phytophthora infested ground.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby bernieq » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 9:21 pm

Yes, VF, I do. I'm mindful of both myrtle rust and Phytophthora and clean all my gear after each walk. Boots, gaiters, tent, pack and walking pole attract special attention, with removal (into council waste stream) of any dirt/clods. Boots are sprayed with metho if warranted.

I have an interest in Australian native plants so have been aware of these invasives for many years. I need to be even more careful with the mountain bike, now that Phytophthora has been confirmed in my local State Forest.

Both myrtle rust and Phytophthora are certainly a real worry (as are fire ants, cane toads, ...). Sadly, the spread is not just via human intervention. Wind, water in soil, animals - even bees can spread them.

BTW, taswegian, a plant's family name is capitalised but the species name is not - Kunzea ericoides. I didn't realise it was weedy in Tassie.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Region: Victoria

Postby taswegian » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 9:35 pm

thanks bernieq.
There's been a discussion somewhere on the format of plant names - guilty as shown
Actually I'd capitalise the whole beastly name, such its insidious nature :D
Yes its invaded our territory and is a real takeover pest.
Thankfully Parks view it very seriously and we have made serious inroads into containment. Working on the eradication bit. Not easy.
taswegian

Return to Bushwalking Discussion