Aspire Adventure Equipment - Launceston

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Aspire Adventure Equipment - Launceston

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 12:48 pm

I've been into this (relatively) new shop a few times, but haven't had the need to buy any equipment since it opened. As far as I can tell, this is a one-off independent store - is that correct? Or is it part of a small or larger chain? Their website only mentions Launceston and refers to "the store" as though it was the only one and talks about serving the Tasmanian outdoor community.

https://www.aspireadventureequipment.com.au/

Has anyone had any experiences with buying from this shop that are worth reporting here?

Are any members of this forum also staff at Aspire?

I'm surprised I haven't seen any discussion here about this store, but it's possible that it happened while I wasn't looking and my search skills are simply lacking.

My only gripe with this shop is that they don't seem to stock One Planet, which is a preferred brand of mine for packs, sleeping bags, tents, gaiters, polar fleece, downies and rain jackets. But they appear to have a decent range of gear from a few other brands.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Aspire Adventure Equipment - Launceston

Postby Warin » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 2:38 pm

I have seen it mentioned as a source for gas if coming off the ferry for the OLT on some thread here.
Also on the youtube video from that American firm -Zpacks- doing the OLT.
It is also present in the OSM data base for mapping.

{edit} I am confusing this with "Allgoods" ! Both start with A .. but one is in Launceston the other in Devonport!
Aspire is also in the OSM database for mapping {/edit}

Perhaps a talk to them about One Planet might see them stock it? I would prefer to support it as an independent store.
Last edited by Warin on Tue 20 Feb, 2018 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 3:27 pm

Have only been there once for food and gas but the staff were friendly and helpful. Seemed to be reasonably well stocked from a quick stalk around (saw plenty of montane and mont stuff).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rai » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 6:52 pm

I bought an Aarn effortless rhythm pack from them a couple of months ago. Very friendly and helpful staff. They were very patient with me (late middle-age guy relatively new to overnight hikes in Tassie). Hope they do well, especially considering that just 20m across the road MD store appeared to be closing.
Btw, the aarn pack is amazing. I am aware that there is another thread for packs, so will just confine my comment to say that I would have not bought the pack had I not been able to try it in store with helpful staff.
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 8:02 am

Warin wrote:I am confusing this with "Allgoods" ! Both start with A .. but one is in Launceston the other in Devonport!
Perhaps a talk to them about One Planet might see them stock it? I would prefer to support it as an independent store.

I agree about supporting independent stores (so long as they also support us with good service and products, of course).

Allgoods and Aspire are both in Launceston. :-) Although I think Allgoods do have a store or two elsewhere around the state. :-) Yes, I will send them a message about One Planet.

Rai wrote:Hope they do well, especially considering that just 20m across the road MD store appeared to be closing.

It is sad that Mtn Designs have closed down. I walked past it yesterday, and it was empty with a "For Lease" sign in the window. Apparently all of their stores have now closed down and they're trying to sell off what's left of their online store. For more info, see this topic.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 12:10 pm

That's interesting. The 'new store' was mentioned in passing on the Spirit of Tasmania, but I thought it was Devonport, not LTN.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 11:11 am

They've replied to my query about stocking One Planet. They said they'd like to stock their gear, but another shop in Launceston has an exclusive agreement with One Planet. So it's not possible for now. :-(

*&^%$#@! Anti-competitive exclusivity agreements!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:59 pm

I supplied an image for that store. So far as I understand they are independently owned and operated.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 4:06 am

Warin wrote:I have seen it mentioned as a source for gas if coming off the ferry for the OLT on some thread here.
Also on the youtube video from that American firm -Zpacks- doing the OLT.
It is also present in the OSM data base for mapping.

{edit} I am confusing this with "Allgoods" ! Both start with A .. but one is in Launceston the other in Devonport!
Aspire is also in the OSM database for mapping {/edit}

Allgoods are in Devonport as well as Launceston.

Just to add that 'Blue Peaks', an independent store, also stock a good range of One Planet gear (in Devonport).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 6:33 pm

We were in there a few months ago and they mentioned they were doing something with the upstairs area with a view to holding information evenings - both practical technique related and also product try out evenings. I do hope they do well.

Seem to be a few ex-Tasmanian Expeditions guides on the staff (my husband recognised them from his guiding days)
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 2:49 pm

I was passing by Aspire again today and went in to have another look around.

THEY NOW HAVE ONE PLANET GEAR!!!

Sorry, I’m a bit of a One Planet tragic.

On display, I found One Planet packs, fleeces and rainwear. I asked about OP sleeping bags and they said they have them, just not on display yet.

The lady behind the counter said that she can now be open about using a McMillan for the past few years.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 4:26 pm

I have a friend who has bought a few things from Aspire. She's an experienced bushwalker, and speaks very highly of their knowledge and service.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 10:45 am

Tortoise wrote:I have a friend who has bought a few things from Aspire. She's an experienced bushwalker, and speaks very highly of their knowledge and service.

Agreed. When you talk to them about where you're planning to walk, or why you make your gear choices, their eyes don't glaze over as though you're speaking another language. They are genuinely interested and able to make sensible conversation.

It's as though the staff there actually go bushwalking!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joel » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 7:24 am

Hey SoB,

Do you know if Aspire is still affiliated with RiverFly/Hackett? I know they had a affiliation and Hackett used to sell his gear and have his clients meet on the top floor of the shop.
Last edited by Joel on Fri 05 Jul, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Paul » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 10:55 am

I have had very good experiences dealing with Aspire - great customer service.

I certainly hope that there is no affiliation with Hackett - it would end my dealing with them.

Paul.
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 11:49 am

Joel wrote:Hey SoB,

Do you know if Aspire is still affiliated with RiverFly/Hackett? I know they had a partnership and Hackett used to sell his gear and have his clients meet on the top floor of the shop.

I hadn't heard anything of this but after bit of googling found this:

RiverFly Blog wrote:The RiverFly 1864 team are moving! We are excited to be opening a new base and departure lounge on the second floor of Aspire Adventure Equipment at 136 York Street, Launceston.

https://riverfly.com.au/back-to-guiding ... um-30-off/

It's unclear if there is any actual business association, or if it is a simple matter of renting the space.

Would anybody like to ask them and find out?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion