How to do one way trips with one car

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

How to do one way trips with one car

Postby Lith » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:13 am

When your car is left at the trail head and you're a 6-7 hour walk away, what do you do? Try to hitch a ride back to civilisation and then another one to your car? Do the day walk as an overnighter and walk back the next day? What are your methods when going out with only one car?
Lith
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: How to do one way trips with one car

Postby Aardvark » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:36 am

We sometimes use the mountain bikes to return to our car. Placed at the end of the walk in advance. We have the advantage of a ute though.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:54 am

Like the bike idea! Or drop the pack, run back in less than 1/2 the time. Getting a ride is typically not plannable, so always have a backup plan.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:16 am

I have a very helpful wife who doesn't want to do 6-7 hr walks, but likes to explore each end of the track I am using. This works best if I finish at the more interesting end, since the arrival time there can be a bit vague, so it has to be somewhere she doesn't mind wandering around for an indeterminate time. It helps that we both have InReach beacons and can communicate even if there is no phone cover.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:19 am

Bikes at the beginning to the start of the walk, (hide them) while your legs are fresh-car at the end-when your'e stuffed. If there are roads nearby. Came across two blokes who felt their 40k ride to the start of the walk was fine. I have not done it, but I have both hitched (obvious cautions here) and got lifts and walked back more or less the way I came many (most) times. I hear many people say they can't walk back the way the came, I have very little problem with it. As a lone walker if I let this overule my walking I might not ever get out. The terrain can take on different hues, things become visible in the distance that you missed before because you were looking at your feet trying not to slip. The number of times I look around and think "I don't really remember this". There are all sorts of things you can do-find a loopish type situation, even if it is for only part of the walk. That said, on the bike front what about those really compact things-or better yet an electricy assisted thingy!!
I also just noticed you said car is 6-7 hours away perfect-stay overnight! The overnighter is a sweet time away.You only need to be carrying 6-8 kgs so, you could fly along.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:54 am

Lamont wrote:I hear many people say they can't walk back the way the came, I have very little problem with it.

I too notice different things going in the opposite direction.

Lamont wrote: That said, on the bike front what about those really compact things-or better yet an electricy assisted thingy!!

$$$ + reliability + theft risks ... I'll stick with the older bike thanks.
The bike will carry more.. so that might provide an over night opportunity leaving the walking return with less weight.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tkeeble » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 10:38 am

I never used to like returning by the same path, but it doesn't bother me any more. There's that much amazing walking out there to choose from that, if it was one-way I would happily walk again, so a return walk just saves that second visit!
Tkeeble
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 11:51 am

Hmm, I might have to give the bike option a go.
There’s a local charity that cleans up old bikes - I might go and buy a clunker just for this purposes.
I particularly like the idea of parking at the finish and riding to the start point. That way, if the bike goes missing you’re still in your car.
Plus if the bike has a problem (it will be a clunker after all) then you can just walk back to your car as planned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Postby Aardvark » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 12:58 pm

We do the bike thing before some walks and at the end of others. It depends on the walk. Another scenario is to ride in, stash the bike, do the climb, ride out.
On the subject of walking back the way we came. One of the skills needed as a good, efficient bushwalker is to be able to recognise where you have been. Looking back occasionally as you proceed can help you make the right decisions on where to go on the return. This is so often overlooked or under-rated as a skill.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby michael_p » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:14 pm

Aardvark wrote:...is to be able to recognise where you have been. Looking back occasionally as you proceed can help you make the right decisions on where to go on the return. This is so often overlooked or under-rated as a skill.

100% on this. Amazes me how many people never stop and look back, particularly at track intersections. I do this all the time.

Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:17 pm

We often do a bike shuttle especially with packrafting- we always try to do the bike bit first so the car is at the end when you are stuffed/cold/damaged!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:52 pm

What's the biggest bike ride you've done to connect a one way trip?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:25 pm

Iv'e used a stashed motorbike on a shuttles :)
Just needs careful stashing.
Electric-assisted bike? even 30-40klm's is no big deal.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:37 pm

Or just plan a 12-14 hrs day walk, preferably during the months with longer daylight hours.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 12:35 pm

Try to plan a circuit, whether it's a daywalk, overnighter, or multi-day. Helps if you're into off-track walking.
Very long days on out-and-backs or walking the connecting road between trackheads.
Sometimes hitching.
Bike once or twice, but I'm not a keen cyclist (the knees don't like it).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 2:21 pm

north-north-west wrote:Bike once or twice, but I'm not a keen cyclist (the knees don't like it).

Spin, don't 'walk' on the bicycle.
I try to keep my bicycling pace at about 1 rev per second. More of a running pace.
If you don't have gears low enough to do that .. get lower ones ... my smallest front cog has 20 teeth .. the back one has over 30.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 3:39 pm

The neck and shoulders don't like it either. The position is highly uncomfortable. A recumbent bike might work better, but who has the $$$?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 3:51 pm

north-north-west wrote:The neck and shoulders don't like it either. The position is highly uncomfortable. A recumbent bike might work better, but who has the $$$?

Sounds like a 'road bike' ... a more vertical 'sit up and beg' position should help (MTB/hibird). You'll want a good saddle to go with that though.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 8:38 pm

If leaving a bike at either end it is a good idea to:
- make a laminated sign you can leave on the bike that states it is not dumped and that you will be returning for it.
- have a good bike lock that is long enough to go through the wheels so they don't get stolen.
- hide it well away from any road/gate and if you have a gps take a waypoint for the hide location.

Michael.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidf » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 1:22 pm

As above make circuits, even with adding side trips to make an in out walk more like a circuit. I have good luck hitching but never have a tight time frame when doing so. Bikes work well. Even if you have to get off and push up steep bits. Start at night and go through night. Return in light, get home early next day.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lith » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 10:31 am

The bike and circuit suggestions have worked excellently! Its really spiced up my walks

New issue though is doing longer one ways with only one car. I've been wanting to do Katoomba to kanangra for a while now but it's a bit tricky with one car. Any ideas? I thought about maybe doing Katoomba to Mittagong going through kanangra but that seems a bit ridiculous. Any better options? No one I know has a license except me and I'm not really into begging strangers for rides.
Lith
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Warin » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 11:40 am

Lith wrote: I've been wanting to do Katoomba to kanangra for a while now but it's a bit tricky with one car. Any ideas?

There is a bus to/from Jenolan .. might be a possibility.
https://www.cdcbus.com.au/cdc-tours/
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lith » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 1:54 pm

Not a bad idea, google maps says its 37km along the road from kanangra car park to jenolan. Adding a day of walking wouldn't be too bad, road walking ain't fun but that's alright. Never driven down there before, anyone know of water sources from the car park to jenolan?
Lith
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby davidf » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 2:08 pm

There is a description of a direct route from jenolan to K walls that is a bit off track and fire roads on here. For the Kanangra area you can also go in/Out narrow neck or with ONE car go to Carlons and head in and return in a circuit.

Don't be afraid to ask for lifts. Some people want company or $ for a drive. Hitching also can be interesting.

There are so many circuits you can do just by public transport 1 car already gives you greater scope.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby michael_p » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 3:04 pm

Lith wrote:anyone know of water sources from the car park to jenolan?

There is a rain water tank at the Boyd River camping area. Driving towards Kanangra Walls it is on the right just after you cross Boyd River. It would be a good spot to camp overnight and split the 37km road bash up. Just Google: boyd river campground.
davidf wrote:There is a description of a direct route from jenolan to K walls that is a bit off track and fire roads on here.

Here is a thread discussing a route from J to K Walls avoiding a lot of the road: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20051
Here is an alternative route used by trail runners to get from J to K Walls: http://coolrunning.com.au/fatass/hq/ima ... s_16_m.jpg .This route makes use of Kanangra Walls Road and would allow for an overnight stop at Boyd River.

Michael.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 4:06 pm

michael_p wrote:
Lith wrote:
davidf wrote:There is a description of a direct route from jenolan to K walls that is a bit off track and fire roads on here.

Here is a thread discussing a route from J to K Walls avoiding a lot of the road: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20051
Here is an alternative route used by trail runners to get from J to K Walls: http://coolrunning.com.au/fatass/hq/ima ... s_16_m.jpg .This route makes use of Kanangra Walls Road and would allow for an overnight stop at Boyd River..

I think the route that ties together the whalania/queen pin/thurat etc. trails is affectionately known as "bouncing off the walls". I've done parts of it (in heavy snow at one point) and while not as scenic as parts east, it's pleasant enough and much better than the road bash. Should easily get to KW from jenolan in 2 days.

But... if you're not time-constrained you could make it a whole lot nicer by going via the moorara boss trail that leads off southwards from black range, accessed either by taking the 6 ft track from katoomba (would add 2 days, making a 7 day circuit ex-katoomba and no need for a bus) or backtracking from Jenolan on the 6 ft track (would add 1 day, making a 6 day Jenolan to katoomba 'J-ish' route). There is a brilliant campsite where the moorara boss trail crosses Jenolan river with views into hellgate gorge coming both into and out of the valley, and the walking along the moorara range is really nice. Just a thought.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 6:03 pm

Lith wrote:I've been wanting to do Katoomba to kanangra for a while now but it's a bit tricky with one car.

You can do this with just one car, if you can line up someone else with a licence.

You drive to Kanangra Walls and walk to Katoomba. They walk from Katoomba to Kanangra and drive your car back.

I'd be keen to do this, except I won't be back in Sydney until December.

Or, find a non-walker friend who would enjoy a drive in the mountains. Both of you go to Kanangra. You walk to Katoomba while your friend drives your car back to an agreed place in Katoomba and catches the train back to Sydney (or waits around for you).
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion