Study showing how many people participate in bushwalking

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Study showing how many people participate in bushwalking

Postby davidmorr » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:00 am

A couple of years ago, someone posted the results of a study showing what types of activities people participated in. This included sports and other outdoor activities like bushwalking. I need that information to use in a submission on commercial activities in national parks. If someone could provide a link or other source, I would be grateful.

Needless to say, this is urgent....

I have tried searching here but have no idea what to look for. :-(
Last edited by davidmorr on Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Study showing how many people participate in bushwalking

Postby davidmorr » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:07 am

Never mind, I found it. Google is much better at this sort of thing.
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/ABS@.nsf ... enDocument

Also this document:
https://www.destinationnsw.com.au/news- ... estination

Hopefully this will help others in future.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 2:52 pm

Does make you wonder why the NSW Government has been ripping money out of the NPWS over the past 5 or so years, instead of investing in fixing up tracks and other dilapidated infrastructure in our National Parks.

Bushwalking tourism must be worth tens of millions of $.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:39 pm

Bushwalking needs a advocate with the ear of politicians.

Not talking about advocates of eco tourism/cabin operations, not that there is anything wrong with that.. just not in national parks.

Until we get an advocate/powerful lobby group in the bushwalking corner we wont get results. Sadly thats how the world works these days. Its not about stats/figures except maybe for health/education.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:50 pm

66% of bushwalkers go more than once a week! I wonder how people find the time to do that. If a 4 day walk counts as 4 walks, I guess I would get close to 52+ walks a year, otherwise I feel like I'm really missing out.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 8:05 pm

crollsurf wrote:66% of bushwalkers go more than once a week!

:shock: I usually go once a day... Oh, you meant bushwalking...

Well some could call 'bushwalking' going for a walk in the local park ..or anywhere to keep some form of fitness?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:13 pm

crollsurf wrote:66% of bushwalkers go more than once a week! I wonder how people find the time to do that. If a 4 day walk counts as 4 walks, I guess I would get close to 52+ walks a year, otherwise I feel like I'm really missing out.

This might explain it. I dont think the ABS posed the question very well. Apparently the options were.

Occasional participation - participated less than 12 times and participated from one to twelve months.
Infrequent - part year participation - participated from 13-52 times and participated from one to eleven months.
Infrequent - full year participation - participated from 13-52 times and participated in each month.
Frequent - part year participation - participated 53 times or more and participated from one to eleven months.
Once or twice a week participation - participated from 53-104 times and participated in each month.
More than twice a week participation - participated from 105 times or more and participated in each month.

So many would have jumped straight to frequent..and ticked without reading the explantion of what frequent ment. especially as this was part of large survey.. dinners on who has time to read it all..
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 6:38 am

wildwanderer wrote:
This might explain it. I dont think the ABS posed the question very well. Apparently the options were.

Occasional participation - participated less than 12 times and participated from one to twelve months.
Infrequent - part year participation - participated from 13-52 times and participated from one to eleven months.
Infrequent - full year participation - participated from 13-52 times and participated in each month.
Frequent - part year participation - participated 53 times or more and participated from one to eleven months.
Once or twice a week participation - participated from 53-104 times and participated in each month.
More than twice a week participation - participated from 105 times or more and participated in each month.

Written by someone who thinks bushwalking is the same as going to the gym when it comes to physical activity. Perhaps see if the same questions were asked for that. If the government see a lot of people participating in then it may just want to make more money out of parks.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 8:13 am

crollsurf wrote:66% of bushwalkers go more than once a week! .

Poor data. No basis for action.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ricrunner » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 6:41 pm

I don't go enough times maybe bushwalk twice a year, but I cycletour/camp fortnightly.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 9:46 am

I joined a club to meet people of a like mind and maybe find companions to explore new areas. That was a long time ago. I only participated for 5 yrs or so.
A leader in the club, who seemed entrenched in that type of walking (ie. groups), suggested to me that 85% of bushwalkers were participating in organised activities.
At the time i, from a background of solo walking or walking with friends was convinced most people out there were just part of private groups.
I'm still not convinced that clubs and companies are dominant in bushwalking.
I don't believe it likely any data collected would be an accurate guideline. The method of asking a select group how often they go bushwalking......... c'mon ?
Most people i know would not be honest with themselves let alone with a survey.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Bushwalking Discussion