Desktop version
Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Forum rules

The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Post a reply

Re: Long walks without re-supply

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 9:44 am

Yep Just got told about it
I've been skiing mostly the whole season and out of touch

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 9:45 am

There's a 34 page discussion that's been going on for the past 3 months the on this forum following his progress daily.

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 9:55 am

Yep the skiing started 3 months ago, I don't get out much or post much when skiing and I totally missed it

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:30 pm

My longest trip section without resupply is 14 days, but I didn't carry 14 days of food the whole way. I reckon good route planning is key.

I enjoyed a full traverse of the Western Arthurs, then walked to Melaleuca along the Port Davey track. Later, after resupply at Melaleuca, I walked the South West Cape Circuit.

I carried everything just 8klms, then stashed 4 days of food at Junction Creek for the Port Davey Track section, so I only carried 10 days of food up Moraine A.

I wasn't sure how I go, particularly those first few kays from the trailhead, but it all worked out fine!

I've currently got a trip spreadsheet going for a 19 day section without resupply in the Arthur Ranges, but every time I look at it I fell rather scared! :lol:

Check out this photo from 48 years ago when things were done a little differently ..... :wink:

ImageRetrieving Airdrops on Goon Moor, Eastern Arthurs, Federation Peak, SW Tasmania, 7th January, 1970. by Dennis, on Flickr

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:17 pm

Haha intially I thought that was a huge sack full of goon 'cheap cask wine'.

Was awarding bonus points as the goon sack is twice as big as the others

The good old days..where you'd drink a couple of litres of wine at camp and wake up feeling fine and ready for that 20km carrying a canvas pack weighing 25kg. Wait...that never happened..I never woke up feeling fine..
Post a reply