Snakes in standing water

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Snakes in standing water

Postby Zzoe » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi All

We're off on a month long stint of the Bibbulmun Track next week (Collie to Walpole). My husband and I have walked various tracts of that section before, including the walk between Northcliffe and Walpole, on the Pingerup Plain. Even on Boxing Day in a hot summer there was water underfoot, and we've been told that this winter we can expect kilometerrs of walking in up to knee-or deeper- water.

As that area is notorious for tiger snakes I got to wondering if anyone has encountered a snake in standing water. Where would they all go when it's inundated like this? I've once seen a tiger snake crossing a river, and have encountered lots of snakes on dry ground while walking, without fuss... But am feeling a bit leery of encountering one whilst I'm in the water with it.

Would love to hear about anyone's experience, if any.

Thanks in advance.
Zzoe
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Re: Snakes in standing water

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 11:01 pm

I walked at the start of spring for a day and a 1/2. Mostly wading knee deep through a very slow moving river as the banks were very scrubby.

Saw numerous red bellie black snakes that were warming themselves on rocks move as quick as lighting into the water to hide from us. So yes they were in the river swimming (or more likely hiding under a undewater rock) but my feeling was when the snakes were in the water they were active and hyper aware of us and would avoid being near

It felt safer in the water than when we were walking along the bank, as the risk then was stepping over a log and on to a half asleep snake.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 12:19 am

Many years ago I came across a couple of red-bellied black snakes swimming/playing in a large pool of water. Watched them for about 5 minutes before they slithered into the bush.

I was on high ground well above them so had a perfect viewing point (and there was no way they could get to me).
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewa » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:20 am

Watched one last year swimming down a rapid I was fishing. Called out to my mate downstream that he might consider getting out of the water until it passed!

I occasionally see them swimming across a river, but rarely just in the river for the sake of a fun time.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby neilmny » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:01 am

I read somewhere that Red Belly Black Snakes will actually feed under water.

neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby oldpiscator » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:43 am

Very common to see tiger snakes swimming in some of the 19lagoons of Tassie turning over rocks to get frogs.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 1:32 pm

I have seen a black snake catch a small trout...

All this is no doubt making the OP very excited about walking in rivers!!
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby neilmny » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 1:36 pm

andrewa wrote:I have seen a black snake catch a small trout...

Hmmm .... is ingnorance really bliss?????? :shock: :roll: :? I think I'd like to know the possibilities when it comes to snakes. :wink:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 1:50 pm

andrewa wrote:I have seen a black snake catch a small trout...

:lol: :lol: I know! Not sure how reassuring this all is. My best advise is to try to avoid the first week of spring (or surounding weeks if there is a sudden change from cold to hot..) thats when the snakes will be out in abundance. But really the risk of being bitten is small, dont step on them and they will avoid you. Plenty of other things more likely to be a greater danger like simply tripping over etc
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zzoe » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi Folks and many thanks for all the replies (can't say they've been a delightful read :) )

We don't have red bellied black snakes but I gather that our tiger snakes are just as good at swimming. I also emailed a couple of friends who are zoologists, niether of whom offered much relief. However, they did give some good advice based on experience.

Apparently our tiger snakes will most likely be found resting in emergent vegetation (stretched out on reeds like a stocking on a clothes line). Apparently in the water they'll be quite swift but won't want to give up a prime spot of dry in order to swiftly move away, so the big danger is more in brushing into them in the vegetation surrounding the track, where they'll most likely stand thier ground. Think I'll be wearing my gaiters on my lower arms!

I'm so glad that Father Christmas gave the family a PLB for Christmas last year....
Zzoe
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby ribuck » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:14 am

I stepped into a pool once on the Wollangambe, without noticing that a redbellied black snake was swimming around the pool. It kept its cool and swam away from me and slithered up a rock that was sloping into the water.

Another time was near the north end of Redbank Gorge. A girl from our party had paddled across a pool on her lilo. On her way back, she noticed a big snake thrashing around in the same pool. The only direction that a snake could get out was the end that she was at. No-one else was within earshot.

Her greatest concern was that the snake would climb aboard the lilo. She found a big cow bone nearby and boarded her lilo. With one hand she paddled gingerly. With the other hand she held the cow bone, ready to push the snake off her lilo if it boarded. The snake continued to thrash around, but fortunately ignored her as she paddled over it, and she breathed a sigh of relief as she reached the other end of the pool. (Hello Annette if you're on this forum :) )
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 2:45 pm

My mate : why are we walking in the water ?
Me : because it is close to 40c , snakes are out but they don't go in the water.
my mate : what about those two there ?
(a couple of meters away from me...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 7:19 am

Franco wrote:My mate : why are we walking in the water ?
Me : because it is close to 40c , snakes are out but they don't go in the water.
my mate : what about those two there ?
(a couple of meters away from me...)

:shock: So you would have quickly changed you viewpoint Franco :lol: :lol:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 8:28 am

Well , I learned something that day.
Who knew ?
Funny thing was that I had done that walk several times before and water crossings at least need to be done when the river is runninng
(Lerderderg Gorge)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 9:31 am

I was in the Scouts camping at Marysville Vic years ago. We had a busy time learning how to build a 'tent' and sleeping in a row of hessian bags between saplings. Worked well until one of the scouts was found with a black snake on his tummy and he was asleep! Luckily one of the masters was able to remove the snake without killing the scout!

A couple of days we were sent for a walk trip in the Taggerty river, it was hot in summer. We were walking IN the river going up the river and after a few minutes we started seeing snakes swimming past us in the river. Thankfully, none of us were bitten by snakes, because there was no chance of living if we were bitten!
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dagsands » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 9:50 am

Hi Zzoe, have you checked with the Bibb foundation to see if they have members with experience of this potential problem?
Cheers
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate

Postby neilmny » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 10:19 am

photohiker wrote:........ Thankfully, none of us were bitten by snakes, because there was no chance of living if we were bitten!

PLB's and much better knowledge of treatment would make the situation a little less life threatening today.
Some rivers are really snake havens. I've seen a few on the Taggerty, Little and Rubicon, but the worst I've seen by far is the Howqua with 4 Copperheads in a day.
The upside was that the Copperhead is a fairly relaxed (not agressive) and a beautifully coloured critter.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Arapiles » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 12:25 pm

Well ... when I was a teenager and swimming in the Wimmera River (near the Horsham weir for anyone who knows the area) I felt something wrap around my leg under water. The water was flowing, not standing. There's a lot of stuff in that river and I was wondering what it was when a snake stuck his head out of the water near me - snake and I went in opposite directions, I think it was as shocked as I was.
Arapiles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Trundlers » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 8:13 pm

We have observed a juvenile red belly playing possum under water while it was hunting fat tadpoles at Main Range NP. Water was only ankle deep and clear so was very easy to observe. Have also seen plenty of other snakes over the years in, swimming through or hunting on creek banks.
Trundlers
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby trekker76 » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 4:50 pm

I'd class a snake in the water as less an issue than on ground. I also always thought to myself for every snake I see I probably missed a couple of others anyway.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Bushwalking Discussion