Rays to Macpac transition

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Rays to Macpac transition

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 3:10 pm

I just got an email telling me about all the "exciting new changes"
Anybody else got one?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Rays to Macpac transition

Postby johnw » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 3:43 pm

Yes I got one. So what happens if you are a member of both Rays Rewards and the Macpac Wilderness Club?
I haven't had any correspondence from Macpac as yet.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 1:30 pm

I'd say we now have the answer - Just received an update email from Rays, which also points to this page:

FREQUENTLY ASKED MACPAC QUESTIONS - FAQS

"In early 2019, we will be transforming all of our Rays stores to Macpac. We’re combining the best bits of each brand to bring you even more choice for all your adventure needs, under one roof. With the changes you can expect to experience the complete Macpac range of clothing and gear, plus we will continue to range the best camping and hiking gear, all of your paddling needs and also travel solutions from world class brands.

With the transformation of all Rays stores to Macpac in the coming period, we will also be transforming the Rays Rewards Membership program into the MACPAC CLUB."
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 25 Feb, 2019 7:44 am

In the last few days I have been hammered with emails telling me about the transition and how there are all these exciting new stores. But I as yet see no reason to make a trip to see what the local store has in stock, especially when the people who answer my email inquiries about technical details on the gear simply refer me to the Macpac website which has very little pertinent detail and lots of salespeak
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 25 Feb, 2019 8:48 am

I suspect they will close down the remaining Rays store in Sydney at Camperdown. It is outside the CBD and a pain to get to. There is already an existing Macpac store in the CBD next to all the other outdoor shops. That leaves me wondering what market they plan to be in - Macpac traditionally has never catered to car camping, 4WD, boating etc like Rays.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nezumi » Mon 25 Feb, 2019 6:21 pm

johnw wrote:I suspect they will close down the remaining Rays store in Sydney at Camperdown. It is outside the CBD and a pain to get to. There is already an existing Macpac store in the CBD next to all the other outdoor shops. That leaves me wondering what market they plan to be in - Macpac traditionally has never catered to car camping, 4WD, boating etc like Rays.

They are essentially taking the Macpac branding and splitting their stores into two - pure Macpac stores, which carry only (or predominantly) Macpac gear, and "Macpac Adventure Hubs", which are the rebranded Rays stores - these will carry the full range of car camping/fishing/SUP/etc stuff.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 Mar, 2019 7:52 am

I just received my first "Macpac" sales pitch from the "new" store.
Same old stuff
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vagrom » Sat 02 Mar, 2019 5:20 pm

Adelaide's only shop, on Main North, began today as the dual set-up - tho' the old Macpac continues on Rundle St, a long, thin store.
The larger shop has tents pitched upstairs and a lot of shoe choice. Got Keens for $103. Lots on sale. But every item has a Macpac Store ticket e.g tents, when not all are Macpac.
Young manager is excellent and knows stuff. Otherwise, left-over Rays staff? Pretty unfriendly.
Last edited by vagrom on Sat 02 Mar, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 02 Mar, 2019 7:58 pm

Work just got a new batch of uniforms, macpac brand. Hopefully they sort their QC soon because sizing is all over the shop. Some of it is downright weird. I'd suggest not buying unless you can try it on, a lot of the ladies at work were really shocked by how some of the sizing actually came out, and the fit has been odd. The guys stuff is just normal weird.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Bushwalking Discussion