Queue for your photos ...

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Queue for your photos ...

Postby Warin » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 11:58 am

Oh dear ...
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-46342915

If you had a queue to get to some view point .. what would you do?

Think I'd photo the queue and move on. Find another spot and take my photo there.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Queue for your photos ...

Postby tastrax » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 7:08 pm

How ironic - queuing to take a photo that falsely makes it look like you are the only person there, just so you get the likes on Facebook/Instagram!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby wobbly » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 7:56 pm

To queue or not to queue
Attachments
C117.jpg
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orion » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 2:59 am

I encountered a queue about 25 kilometers from the nearest road in California a few years ago. There's a large boulder close to a very popular trail that people adorn with numerous smaller stones in order to make it look like a kind of monster. Then they take their picture. This is the boulder:

I usually knock all the rocks off of it to return it, although probably only briefly, to it's natural state. But one day when I walked past and there were about twenty-five people lined up, waiting for their turn to take a selfie with the monster. It was quite a scene.

To most of us weaned before the the birth of the World Wide Web this phenomenon seems perverse. It's become so common now to see people, often dressed up for the purpose, striking very specific poses for the camera -- which of course is almost always a phone or tablet (frequently on a stick). Then the image presumably goes on some social media website so that it can be voted on by cyber friends and acquaintances. I guess it doesn't do any harm, other than concentrate people, but it seems eerily weird to me -- like invasion of the body snatchers weird.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby tastrax » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 7:46 am

Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby wander » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 8:16 am

Wait till the Asian Tourist invasion really takes off, then you will see massive queuing and crowding at the oddest things for a selfie then off to the next spot.

Looking at tourist numbers and forecasts and what is being spent in Japan to cater for cashed up Asian (not just Chinese) tourists Tassie is grossly under-prepared and is in for a big shock in the next ten years.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby Warin » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:36 am

wander wrote:the Asian Tourist invasion

Most of those are on buses. They don't walk far. And they don't stay long, one photo each and that is about it.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:30 pm

Easy solution: put up a sign saying “Warning - snakes may be in this area” then you’ll have the place to yourself!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:41 pm

The places people do these stylized poses tend to already be very popular.

That spot on Roy peak I didn't recognize though. It's not the summit. Is it just some spot on the trail on the way up or a side trail?

Hmmm.... I'll bet I could find the GPS coordinates for it if I googled!
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby slparker » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:59 pm

Warin wrote:
wander wrote:the Asian Tourist invasion

Most of those are on buses. They don't walk far. And they don't stay long, one photo each and that is about it.

i was in Taiwan a few years ago, an island the size of Tasmania with a population the size of Australia. Taiwan has similarities to Tassy, a high degree of natural beauty, mountains, beaches etc.

It gets 4 million mainland Chinese visitors per year. 4 million.

Now taiwan is very close to mainland china but it is quite feasible that some of the increasingly mobile and cashed up middle class Chinese tourists will decide Tasmania is the new destination de jour.
When i say 'some' have a think about what 'some' means in a country of 1400 000 000 people. This could well be facilitated by the occasional travel bans placed on Taiwan by mainland China in an effort to harm Taiwan's economy.

When I was in Taiwan some of the hiking trails were congested with mainland Chinese tourists. Bus after bus after bus depositing people to the trail heads.

Some of these tourists will venture further afield and I envisage freycinet and cradle mountain will see tourist-shock in the next few years.

Not trying to be alarmist, nor do I dislike the Chinese, but it would be naive, in my opinion, to think that Tasmania is safe from excess tourism.

There are 1 340 000 millionaires (that is not a typo) in China and a burgeoning middle class. How many helicopters is this flying into the Walls of Jerusalem?
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 01 Dec, 2018 5:38 am

wander wrote:Wait till the Asian Tourist invasion really takes off, then you will see massive queuing and crowding at the oddest things for a selfie then off to the next spot.

Looking at tourist numbers and forecasts and what is being spent in Japan to cater for cashed up Asian (not just Chinese) tourists Tassie is grossly under-prepared and is in for a big shock in the next ten years.

I took the gondola from Queenstown and had a 'Remarkable' view. Took my photos and turned around to see a group of Asian's standing against the wall of the building and another taking a picture of them. The view did not seem to matter.

I don't do Instagram or Facebook and don't care what other people want to do to fake a photo. I also don't like places which are full of tourists and tend to avoid them but I understand why people do not want other people in their scenic shots. I would also think a place like Roys Peak is safer if people queue up for a photo when there are lots of people around. Social media is ruining all the best places.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wollemi » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 2:44 pm

wander wrote:you will see massive queuing and crowding at the oddest things... Tassie is grossly under-prepared and is in for a big shock in the next ten years.

This may already be happening, of a sort. When I kayaked across Bass Strait in 2012, I shared the camping area at Winter Cove on Deal Island with my group of 4 from NSW, a group of 5 from Queensland, a group of 5 in 3 kayaks from Western Australia, and another group of three. Four groups, paddling at different times from the 'Prom towards mainland Tasmania.

To avoid crowds, I chose to drive across Iceland in January, with sea-level snow everywhere. There were still queues on occasion, but I did have two large motel complexes entirely to myself over a few nights.

I have just googled climbing Roy's Peak in winter, and saved that for future reference. I have been winter mountaineering in the region before - and met others at high huts...
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lindsay » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 5:25 pm

I would avoid the place and move on. I remember the disconnect when coming back from Mt Solitary. After being virtually alone for two days, as I approached the scenic railway the peace was suddenly shattered by the squawking of dozens of Chinese tourists. The abrupt transition from peaceful contemplation of the surroundings to noisy, mindless crowds was bizarre.
Lindsay

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 5:33 pm

Lindsay wrote:I would avoid the place and move on. I remember the disconnect when coming back from Mt Solitary. After being virtually alone for two days, as I approached the scenic railway the peace was suddenly shattered by the squawking of dozens of Chinese tourists. The abrupt transition from peaceful contemplation of the surroundings to noisy, mindless crowds was bizarre.

:D you should try being dropped off at peak hour near Central station after 4 days in the wilderness.. jarring is an under statement.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:50 am

wildwanderer wrote::D you should try being dropped off at peak hour near Central station after 4 days in the wilderness.. jarring is an under statement.

But after 4 days in the bush, I bet you got a seat to yourself on the train.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion