Hiking with a fear of heights

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Hiking with a fear of heights

Postby speed_pit » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I am considering going on this hike: https://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Bushwa ... 257150663/

(I am not sure whether you have to be registered on meetup.com or be a member of the particular meetup, so please let me know if you can't see the description or pictures when you follow the above link, in which case I will post them here.)

The trouble is I have a fear of heights, so I need to know if there are any cliff edge sections. I don't mind being high up in the mountains per se, it's just when there are unavoidable sections where you're a few steps away from plunging to death that would be a deal-breaker for me. I haven't been able to get through to the organisers, so I would appreciate if someone who has done this trail would let me know if this is the case.

I hope that this thread will become a place where people such as myself can ask questions whether a particular trail is compatible with the fear of heights.

Many thanks!
speed_pit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking with a fear of heights

Postby Hallu » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 10:26 pm

I've done it a while ago (the short version from the car park) and can't remember any cliff edge, it's a hill you're climbing. Of course at the end if you climb the rock like the people on the picture do, then it's another story,but you don't have to do that to get nice views.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Hiking with a fear of heights

Postby north-north-west » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 6:45 am

Far as Ii recall it's as exposed as you want it to be. The main tracks stay low around the base of the rocks, but there are plenty of opportunities to scramble onto things if you want to.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Bushwalking Discussion