Austria to introduce a hikers code of conduct

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Austria to introduce a hikers code of conduct

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 11:03 am

As I understand it, a hiker was walking on private property with a dog.
They were charged (and killed) by a cow who was protecting their calf from the dog.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ling-death

The interesting part for me is:
“We expect that if people stick to this code of conduct, there will be no incidents. If someone does not stick to the code of conduct, then they will lose the chance to claim damages.”

Not sure if this will be a return to expecting people to display common sense, or open up a can of worms (aka a lawyer's picnic).
For example, if the code of conduct says "you should carry a PLB" and you don't, would you have to pay for any rescue efforts?
ChrisJHC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Austria to introduce a hikers code of conduct

Postby Lindsay » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 3:40 pm

I see a can of worms here. However is a 'code of conduct' a legally enforcible set of laws, or as the name suggests, simply a recognised set of guidelines that a responsible walker should follow? I see in the article that the Austrian government considers it to be law, but in Australia I would not think so. I once had an experience with highland cattle in Scotland. The track went between stone walls and the cattle were in the middle not moving. Had I walked among them they decided to move there would have been nowhere for me to go. Took a long way round instead.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Austria to introduce a hikers code of conduct

Postby Mark F » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 5:25 pm

There are a few people killed or seriously injured every year when walking their fur-babies among cattle in the UK. Many more dogs are killed in the same incidents with many owners suffering death and injury when they try to protect their pooch. They don't learn, they just blame the farmer for having cattle in the field where they want to walk.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Bushwalking Discussion