Austria to introduce a hikers code of conduct

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Austria to introduce a hikers code of conduct

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 11:03 am

As I understand it, a hiker was walking on private property with a dog.
They were charged (and killed) by a cow who was protecting their calf from the dog.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ling-death

The interesting part for me is:
“We expect that if people stick to this code of conduct, there will be no incidents. If someone does not stick to the code of conduct, then they will lose the chance to claim damages.”

Not sure if this will be a return to expecting people to display common sense, or open up a can of worms (aka a lawyer's picnic).
For example, if the code of conduct says "you should carry a PLB" and you don't, would you have to pay for any rescue efforts?
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Austria to introduce a hikers code of conduct

Postby Lindsay » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 3:40 pm

I see a can of worms here. However is a 'code of conduct' a legally enforcible set of laws, or as the name suggests, simply a recognised set of guidelines that a responsible walker should follow? I see in the article that the Austrian government considers it to be law, but in Australia I would not think so. I once had an experience with highland cattle in Scotland. The track went between stone walls and the cattle were in the middle not moving. Had I walked among them they decided to move there would have been nowhere for me to go. Took a long way round instead.
Lindsay

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 5:25 pm

There are a few people killed or seriously injured every year when walking their fur-babies among cattle in the UK. Many more dogs are killed in the same incidents with many owners suffering death and injury when they try to protect their pooch. They don't learn, they just blame the farmer for having cattle in the field where they want to walk.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ThehannaTree » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 10:12 pm

Codes of conduct eh. There is an unrecognised and growing problem of shooters firing their guns within and outside the bounds of their own properties, or in places like state forest. They are creating a safety issue for walkers who unwittingly walk into the firing line. I live well within the bounds of 350 acres of Nature Refuge ( we are three adjoining, cooperative properties). There are two neighbours who regularly fire their guns on my boundaries. One is hunting roos indiscriminately because he doesnt like them and the other is shooting a target on his rented rural res. property within meters of neighbours who have lived there peacefully for decades. They are both disturbing the peace and creating a serious and deadly risk for those of us who like to walk on our properties. I can no longer walk safely in the adjoining thousands of hectares of State forest or on my own property without first considering the risk of doing so. Recently, I had to stay put behind some boulders while the roo murderer shot off about six rounds. I considered yelling but have done that before with the consequence of making him stroppy. I have called the police to ask them what can be done and unless the shooter is caught in the act of killing a native animal, it's my word against his. I have reported animal kills to the Nature Refuge authority but it's the same problem - laws that aren't enforced or enforceable. The irony of the situation is that I cant walk safely on my own property and if I was hit by a bullet or richochet it would only be considered an accident.
ThehannaTree
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Lindsay » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 10:04 pm

ThehannaTree wrote:Codes of conduct eh. There is an unrecognised and growing problem of shooters firing their guns within and outside the bounds of their own properties, or in places like state forest. They are creating a safety issue for walkers who unwittingly walk into the firing line. I live well within the bounds of 350 acres of Nature Refuge ( we are three adjoining, cooperative properties). There are two neighbours who regularly fire their guns on my boundaries. One is hunting roos indiscriminately because he doesnt like them and the other is shooting a target on his rented rural res. property within meters of neighbours who have lived there peacefully for decades. They are both disturbing the peace and creating a serious and deadly risk for those of us who like to walk on our properties. I can no longer walk safely in the adjoining thousands of hectares of State forest or on my own property without first considering the risk of doing so. Recently, I had to stay put behind some boulders while the roo murderer shot off about six rounds. I considered yelling but have done that before with the consequence of making him stroppy. I have called the police to ask them what can be done and unless the shooter is caught in the act of killing a native animal, it's my word against his. I have reported animal kills to the Nature Refuge authority but it's the same problem - laws that aren't enforced or enforceable. The irony of the situation is that I cant walk safely on my own property and if I was hit by a bullet or richochet it would only be considered an accident.

Shooting on private property is permitted as long as the shooter does not endanger anyone else. If there are stray rounds making it unsafe for you to walk on your property then this is a matter for the police. Danger to persons and property rather than allegations of illegal hunting will get their attention.
Lindsay

Region: New South Wales

Postby headwerkn » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 1:03 pm

ThehannaTree wrote:Codes of conduct eh. There is an unrecognised and growing problem of shooters firing their guns within and outside the bounds of their own properties..... The irony of the situation is that I cant walk safely on my own property and if I was hit by a bullet or richochet it would only be considered an accident.

Firearm use on private property is subject to numerous restrictions eg. setbacks from roads, neighbours' properties etc. and the shooter has responsibility to ensure their rounds are fired into a suitable backstop eg. hill should they miss their target. Even a lowly .22LR round as an effective travel range of 1.5km so any rounds straying off their property is a definite no-no. Landowners have a right to shoot on their properties for legit purposes the Police should definitely be involved if it's not being done responsibly.
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby ThehannaTree » Fri 14 Jun, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks for the info. I once contacted police after a round of shots late at night that ultimately killed a wallaby on my property about 100 m from the house, Their response was that they couldnt do anything unless they caught the perpetrator in action. I would agree that in such wild country it's difficult to catch someone shooting without exposing yourself to the risk of being injured, but surely a dead wallaby with two bullet wounds near a habitation is cause enough for some investigation. I will enquire with the police again.
ThehannaTree
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby trekker76 » Sun 28 Jul, 2019 6:46 pm

Some farmers and hunters station hidden game cameras ( usually motion activated with night vision) to track game and this can also be used to track illegal hunters. Might be an option for you. I'd put this problem down to the irresponsible culture of today. Once upon a time hunters had a lot more access, they could shoot on crown or state land before it became park. I used to shoot on just 10 acres on the outskirts of a suburb as a kid.( the minimum now is 40 acres). The idea was you did it carefully, didnt shoot anything you werent supposed to, and didn't shoot too long or at unreasonable hours. It was viewed as more of a tolerable noise nuisance than a health hazard, like kids on ATV's. I remember the big kids at school bringing their 22's to show and tell, the headmaster even took them down the back to squeeze off a couple of shots. This was the 1980's btw, not that long ago.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion