Tracking App for iPhone

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Tracking App for iPhone

Postby Peterac » Sat 23 Sep, 2023 3:27 pm

Hi
Thought I’d try this forum. Can anyone suggest an app where I can (in real time) look at my position on a property which shows the boundaries of that property.
Many years ago I saw this done with Sixmaps but it doesn’t have that feature now.
Thanks
Peterac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Tracking App for iPhone

Postby Warin » Sat 23 Sep, 2023 4:58 pm

Think you will find that is still possible.

However the accuracy of the GPS system will not be in cm but in metres.... If your looking for accuracy of your boundaries you better off looking at fixed objects with an image overlay all on sixmaps ... just use your home computer before going outside.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 25 Sep, 2023 9:57 am

I use Bit Map. But then, I'm also the developer, so rather biased. Bit Map can load up and view Six Maps (and many other online and offline maps).

See: https://nixanz.com/bitmap/

The URLs for adding Six Maps to Bit Map are listed at: https://nixanz.com/bitmap/resources/map-services/
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby headwerkn » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 9:55 am

Having spent (read: wasted) way too much time once upon a when, trying to confirm suspect property boundaries and questionable behaviour by neighbours...

I'd reiterate Warin's comment not only about the limitations of GPS accuracy, but also any electronic property title overlays and digitised aerial footage resources you might be referencing off. If you only need to know if you're within cooee, no dramas, but being certain of anything within 5-10m is unfortunately in the realms of 'call a surveyor and pay money'.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Peterac » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 10:33 am

Sorry I’ve not replied, my phone died and I’ve just got back online. Haven’t read replies yet. Will do now.
Peterac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Peterac » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 10:38 am

I’ve posted this question elsewhere and people keep referring to using an overlay or importing an overlay? I’m not familiar with doing this. How is it done?
Peterac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Warin » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 12:12 pm

Peterac wrote:I’ve posted this question elsewhere and people keep referring to using an overlay or importing an overlay? I’m not familiar with doing this. How is it done?

The method will change with the software involved.

The principle is;
image 1: The base. Say the photograph of the property. This is opaque, not translucent.

image 2: The overlay. Say the legal boundaries. This is translucent, you can look through it to the base layer. Usually the overlay will have large blank areas to assist with seeing the base layer.

I would think that the webpage for sixmaps would have this implemented. I have found the imagery layer well aligned with the legal layer at least where I have looked.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bushwalking Discussion