Camino type walks in Australia

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Camino type walks in Australia

Postby crollsurf » Fri 12 Apr, 2024 9:29 pm

Are there any multi-day walks in Australia, where you can find a meal, shower and bed at the end of each day?

+1 is retiring next year and wants to walk the Camino. But she is worried about her ankles standing up to multiple days of walking. She is also "demanding" I create a walk, similar to the Camino for a shakedown.

I'm thinking an easy 10-15klm/day x 3+. Anyone got any ideas?
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Camino type walks in Australia

Postby vagrom » Sat 13 Apr, 2024 12:44 am

The Heysen Trail, between Crystal Brook and Inman Valley, has those sort of things, places to stay overnight and also get a meal or shop. Read the recent account in Bushwalk online magazine of August '23 ( pp 7-8 ) on a Tasmanian's happy trek along the 1,200km Trail.
Attachments
Screenshot_2024-04-12-23-28-36.png
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sat 13 Apr, 2024 8:29 am

Lavender Federation Trail? 325 km from Murray Bridge to Clare. There's also the Camino Salvado from Subiaco to New Norcia in WA; around 180km from memory.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sat 13 Apr, 2024 9:53 am

If willing to pay there's the guided hut options for things like 3 capes, overland, routeburn/Milford etc accross the ditch that do showers, meals, beds etc. Otherwise you could do a bit if a choose your own adventure and link up a bunch of towns in the Blue Mountains, or even a lodge-to-lodge walk through the snowies (eg guthega > charlottes > thredbo > crackenback > jindy using the new guthega-charlottes and thredbo Valley tracks... all of the above have summer lodging/dining etc?)

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Sat 13 Apr, 2024 5:29 pm

I did some of the Lavender Federation Trail last year, from Clare to Eudunda. There was accommodation if you wanted it at some but not all towns. I only had one night’s bush camping, with a few nights camping at recreation grounds etc. and access to shower and toilet.
It was pretty tedious, you need an appreciation of the South Australian landscape. Plenty of road walking but traffic was rare.

Distances on the Heysen between towns/trailheads are a bit random.

Great Southern Rail Trail might fit the bill. I did this with an older friend a couple of years ago and while it’s not awfully exciting, it’s pleasant and we were able to stay in motels/pubs each night. It has been extended now and you could do 7 days with the kind of distances you’re looking for.
Edit: you can catch the V-Line bus back to your starting point.

I was also looking into the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail a couple of years back, from memory the distances and facilities were good for a “soft” walk.
Last edited by Eremophila on Sat 13 Apr, 2024 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Sat 13 Apr, 2024 5:46 pm

Blue Mountains: Wentworth Falls - Leura - Katoomba - Medlow Bath - Blackheath - Mt Victoria. The accommodation will cost more than on the Camino though.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Bron » Sat 20 Apr, 2024 10:12 am

Yurygair Coast Walk fits the bill, with or without the Solitary Islands Coastal Walk tacked on the end.
4 days for each walk and and up to 8 days total. It is possible to stay in a town every night.
When i did Yurygair I parked in Grafton and caught a bus to/from each end, When I did SICW i left the car in Coffs and caught a train back at the end from Urunga.
Realistically its possible to walk alot of the coast whilst staying in roofed accommodation on the way. However the 2 walks mentioned are signposted and there are companies that will arrange car shuffles and accommodation for you.
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Bushwalking Discussion