Thylacine controversy

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Thylacine controversy

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 8:43 pm

The feral cats discussion has been split off to a new topic.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Liamy77 » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 4:54 pm

I think to be more certain it would be nice to get hold of the original file with it's attached info and more (hopefully) resolution or ideally it was taken on film.. also info on exact orientation and location would help - can't be sure either way otherwise unless you were there i think... Basically i hope they are there still but as to the photo it isnt definative as is.
tasadam said:
"Follow its outline forward, and you notice a whitish outline as though to try and highlight the outline of the animal.
Why does this outline not continue?"
not sayin the pic is valid by any means but that effect could be made by rear lighting (ie the Sun) with shadows (therefore not continuing the effect along the full length) you can see the flash shadow near the belly for the fill-flash.... Besides if i faked it i would change it pixel by pixel and not be so lazy as to leave the lasoo margin are fadeed layers etc... what makes me wonder is that there is no motion blur for a running animal and the close distance shown by the angle??

maybe a boot-polished dog? possibly real, but i sure wouldn't put money on someone i dont know!

Oh and Geoskid - if i knew what Dad did with the slide it wouldn't be lost would it??! I would have gotten it checked out then... not sure if i would say excactly where it was though....
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Steve » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 3:24 pm

I like to think that Thylacines are still out there, however if I was to ever spot one I wouldn't speak a word.
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 5:12 pm

Steve wrote:I like to think that Thylacines are still out there, however if I was to ever spot one I wouldn't speak a word.

I can relate to this. I don't know if they still exist or not, but I have often thought that if I did see one maybe it would be better to say nothing.

Not because of any ridicule I might get but if they've managed to survive this long undetected with no help from us, then maybe they'd be better off doing it alone.

If they were rediscovered, would human help hinder or improve their chances of survival? I don't know.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 5:36 pm

you wouldn't have to say exactly where..... or still have proof etc.. :lol:
.... I have more faith in the tigers than in humans i think (sadly)
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!

Postby Greenie » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 7:29 pm

Listening to a static radio last night in the bush, a caller rang in on a talkback show. The caller spoke about a dinosaur he saw a number of years ago on the dirt track south of Huonville. The next day he spoke to locals at the nearby pub. They all believed him..
He call was soon cut off

Wonder if any remaining Thylacine's can survive while the dinosaurs are about?
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 7:50 pm

thats just silly - everyone knows the bunyips wiped out the last dinosaurs 743 years ago?!
:lol:
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby geoskid » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 9:08 pm

Liamy77 wrote:
Oh and Geoskid - if i knew what Dad did with the slide it wouldn't be lost would it??! I would have gotten it checked out then... not sure if i would say excactly where it was though....

Haha, Only checked this today. Yeah, and if I had a slide that important ,it would'nt be lost - either :P
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby geoskid » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 9:22 pm

Fair Dinkum - Do we need a closure ceremony or something?
Denial will only lead to a sore head and mental retardation. Move on - nothing to see here, perhaps something to learn though. :wink:
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby Ent » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 11:23 am

geoskid wrote:Fair Dinkum - Do we need a closure ceremony or something?
Denial will only lead to a sore head and mental retardation. Move on - nothing to see here, perhaps something to learn though. :wink:

Is not Denial a river in Egypt :wink:
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Selig97 » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 6:51 pm

The Tasmanian Tiger may be alive and well hiding in cahoots with the Tasmanian Fox. :D

Anyone know whether a tas tiger scat is the same as a fox scat :wink:
Recent walks: Mt Fortescue, Mt Arthur, Aluminium Cliffs

Peak bagging points: 4
Selig97
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Drifting » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 7:48 pm

Selig97 wrote:The Tasmanian Tiger may be alive and well hiding in cahoots with the Tasmanian Fox. :D

Anyone know whether a tas tiger scat is the same as a fox scat :wink:

He he he he- you need to come around here more often! LOL
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:39 pm

:wink: tastes a bit different i think....
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby sirius Tas » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:28 am

There's no doubt in my mind what so ever that the Thylacine was alive and well back in 1982-1986. This verified sighting was by Hans Naarding(a PWS officer). I say verified as I have an extract from the Guiness Book of Records which has it listed as such...

Animal Kingdom.....Rarest( A member of species known only from a single specimen or holotype)...
Single Tasmanian Wolf or Thylacine(Thylacine cynocephalus) positively identified after a 21 year void, Tasmania July 1982 by a wildlife ranger. Last captured specimen d. 7 Sept. 1936.

Also only 4 years later and only 10km from this sighting, bushman Turk Porteus sighted a female Tiger for 30 sec. before moving off. Closer inspection of the area revealed the footprints of two of her cubs.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sirius Tas » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:47 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Ok so I heard something really interesting from someone today and just thought id share it with my friends of BWT..(actually that should now just be BW)
Im not saying I believe this, I just found it interesing....

A guy I know said he heard from someone he knows (no names given) from the lands department back in the late 80's or early 90's, once had some kind of proof of the existance of the tigers. It seems that the goverment and forestry tas (or gunns) worked together to shut him up ( not sure if it was a payout for the evidence or some kind of permanent silencing ) as they felt if this information became public it would mean an end to all forestry practices immediately. Obviously at the time the goverment in charge was shocked at the thought of what would happen to Tasmania's income if we didnt have a forestry industry :roll:

As I said I dont really believe this, it's just a cool story, and I love a bit of controversy.... SO let the opinions start.........

In relation to the above...I would suggest that this is pretty close to the truth. As a retired FT Surveyor...I know for a fact that there was a large chunk of State Forest which had been couped up for logging with substantial timber that has sat idle for the past 25 years....untouched as it was the same area that the PWS sighting occurred.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the one » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 6:34 pm

i found the thylacine about 10 years ago i told certain nat park groups they baited heavily with 1080, when i asked why they told me i should not b looking 4 these animals and to keep out of thier parks. so now i run trail cams and when i have my proof i will shame them. i have two track lines about 40 prints all up. i have put a few on flickr, if u put in thylacine pad u should get to c them. im very good with animals after awhile animals get used to me and come up closed. as for the thy u have on this site im petty sure i saw that in a musuem in one of our states , on the rear leg u can c where its been treated to preserved the hide i may b wrong but i dont think so. i saw thys a few times the last was 5 years ago . im sorry i wish to keep this placed for my own research. when i have proof then the world will know . i have many trial cam pics more then a million but not the one i want.
the one
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby ben.h » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 8:46 pm

the one wrote:i found the thylacine about 10 years ago i told certain nat park groups they baited heavily with 1080, when i asked why they told me i should not b looking 4 these animals and to keep out of thier parks. so now i run trail cams and when i have my proof i will shame them. i have two track lines about 40 prints all up. i have put a few on flickr, if u put in thylacine pad u should get to c them. im very good with animals after awhile animals get used to me and come up closed. as for the thy u have on this site im petty sure i saw that in a musuem in one of our states , on the rear leg u can c where its been treated to preserved the hide i may b wrong but i dont think so. i saw thys a few times the last was 5 years ago . im sorry i wish to keep this placed for my own research. when i have proof then the world will know . i have many trial cam pics more then a million but not the one i want.

I had a look at your photos. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a large cat, dog or fox print. I'd be interested to know how you know these are thylacine prints.

What features (photos below) distinguish these prints as distinctly thylacine?

For reference:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50630057@N ... otostream/

Also: It would be much easier to read and much less frustrating to decipher what you are trying to say if you used proper grammar in your forum posts. Cheers.
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 8:58 pm

Top pad of the thylacine image when downloaded at highest resolution then crop to just the footprint, gives an image no larger than 107 pixels.
Proves nothing.

Long pad image at highest res then cropped just to the footprint gives an image no larger than 200 pixels, also proves nothing.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby corvus » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 9:33 pm

With respect methinks some one takius the pisiuis :roll:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby tasadam » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 9:47 pm

Yeah... More than a million trail cam pics. That's more than 11 an hour, every hour of every day for more than 10 years.
Me smells male cow dung.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby the one » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 10:12 am

i have 8 cams my latest cam gets 10,000 to 15000 pics a week on its own , times that by( 52 10,000 = 520, 000 not so un beliveable) these cams take muliple shots a second. appox 2 a second. i saw a few thylacines over a peroid of 10 years . now im back with the best gear and my experience with australian animals and the bush shouldnt be that hard .also i have these photos on sd cards and cds plus 4 hard drives full 250 gigabyte each. also sorry if my spelling and english is rough you just have to take me the way i am, i heard them words some where before. many of the pics of trail cams are repedative out of 10,000 pics half can be crows. i got 200 pics of a razor back in a hour not that long ago. what takes time is viewing them , i have picasa i view 3 a second, i do miss things its a big job runing these cams and it cost a arm and a leg. a 8 gig card $30 a 2gig card $10.it cost over $200 a week to run my cams. im off to collect my sd cards so when i have time i will put up how to tell the different between thy and dog prints.might even put some more photos on flickr
the one
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 5:49 pm

G'day the one,
Sorry that I am sceptical, I don't care about your spelling or punctuation and I hope you do prove the existence of this wondrous creature :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby the one » Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:49 pm

i put up some reference material for thylacine prints and a few more pics on flickr, stripes are not always black they varied with different areas. also some museums touch up there animals so they look better on display. at the turn of the centuary they thought there was two types bulldog and the greyhound type but the so call experts decided there is only one breed in existance at that time. but they have had many species of thylacines down the timeline. the last time i saw one was 5 years ago if if we are lucky they are sill there , and they maybe in other areas as well.
the one
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 7:44 am

Cropped, the animal is 178 x 218 pixels at largest size.
Why do you set up a camera with so much junk laying around in the foreground, surely you'd have better luck with a camera set up in a better area. Also, all your photos are going to have one fifth obscured by the big tree on the left.
What is that tree on the left? Doesn't look like Tassie bush.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby the one » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 2:54 pm

i always set cams after people leave there rubbish around, animals are inquisitive. i thank god for dirty picnickers they bring out all the animals . and that tree is a lucky tree. animals mark trees with thier scent. and a colony of gilders live there.nect q please.
the one
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Liamy77 » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 3:05 pm

looks a lot like a kelpie ...more dog-like in the hind quarters.... hmmm dunno not convinced yet... hope u find one beyond doubt though
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ollster » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 3:23 pm

Liamy77 wrote:hope u find one beyond doubt though

If I find one, I'm going to eat it.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Macca81 » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 3:52 pm

ollster wrote:
Liamy77 wrote:hope u find one beyond doubt though

If I find one, I'm going to eat it.

ill go you halves! i imagine they would be a bit tough tho, needs slow cooking...
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby Macca81 » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 4:28 pm

just looked through some of the photos, and came across this one
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50630057@N04/4998716096/
now, ill be buggered if i can work out what animal that would belong to, the base of the tail seems FAR too thick to be a dog, yet it clearly has a dog-like stance, ruling out a kangaroo... i initially thought a fox, but its clearly a thick stocky base, not just a big bunch of fur like a fox's tail.
the only thing is it doesnt have stripes and the knee? seems to be too high up the rest of the leg, like a dogs...

its odd...
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby Liamy77 » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 4:36 pm

yup that pics interesting for sure...
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion