Fagus

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Fagus

Postby bluewombat » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 7:44 pm

Has anyone noted the fagus turning yet, if so where? Thought it might be nice to have a ' the fagus is good here' heads-up considering it is autumn
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Fagus

Postby Hingrock » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 7:30 am

Was at Mt Field on weekend and nothing much is happening there for a week or three.
Hingrock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 9:54 am

I'm also interested in this, never having visited Tasmania in autumn. Will be there first 2 weeks in May and hoping to see fagus in colour at some point. There is a distributon map on the PWS web site but it lacks detail.

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/veg/fagus/distribution.html

I'm aware that Cradle Mtn is a "hotspot", but having been there recently wasn't planning to return this trip. Likely will go to Mt Field though (best bet?). Are there other places? I'd rather walk somewhere to see it, not just jump out of a vehicle at a lookout.

Kind regards,
John W
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby frank_in_oz » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 2:51 pm

Starting to turns early last week up in the Cradle area. My wife was told Anzac day is the best time?
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 2:54 pm

yeah, late April is ideal. Crater Lake and the South side of Cradle Mtn/Little Horn saddle are two good spots that are easily accessible in the Cradle Mtn area.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby PeterJ » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 2:56 pm

frank_in_oz wrote:Starting to turns early last week up in the Cradle area. My wife was told Anzac day is the best time?

She was well informed, but depends a bit on the prior coldness. Nevertheless it is always good at that time.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 3:51 pm

johnw wrote:I'm also interested in this, never having visited Tasmania in autumn. Will be there first 2 weeks in May and hoping to see fagus in colour at some point. There is a distributon map on the PWS web site but it lacks detail.

I'm aware that Cradle Mtn is a "hotspot", but having been there recently wasn't planning to return this trip. Likely will go to Mt Field though (best bet?). Are there other places? I'd rather walk somewhere to see it, not just jump out of a vehicle at a lookout.

Kind regards,
John W

You'll just catch some colour at Cradle. Last year I walked on 25-04 and 13-05. The colour was very good on the first walk and completely finished on the second. I heard that the Tarn shelf is just as nice as Cradle, so head into to Mt. Field and do that walk as soon as you get here. I'll be up on Cradle on the 25th, so we can compare notes.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 5:23 pm

walkinTas wrote:...so we can compare notes.

...and pictures hopefully. Maybe a gallery topic with everyone's Gunii photos for the year? :)
I'll be walking on the 25th-27th, so might be able to contribute if I see any near Mt Olympus.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 6:06 pm

Anzac day is the traditional best time. However - a day of strong wind can mean that the leaves fall off very quickly. So sometimes you need to be lucky.

Pine Valley is a good place - nice fagus on the Acropolis Plateau and all around the Labyrinth (Probably at its best near Pool of Memories) - and ifs gone from there (as i would expect in early May) - then the upper part of the valley should still be good - the old track to Geryon Camp still exists and can be followed without too much trouble.

It is also nice on the Traveller Range and around Pelion Gap - eg on the side of Mt Doris.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkinTas » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 6:32 pm

We will definitely compare photos. And yes, a new gallery - Fagus 2008.

Just to whet the appetite a little, this one is Crater Lake 25-04-07.
Last edited by walkinTas on Tue 22 Apr, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wello » Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:53 pm

DaveNobel is spot on about the pool of Memories in the labyrinth. I was there around Anzac day 2003 in perfect weather, and the combination of masses of fagus, pencil pines and Mt Geryon as a back drop is just spectacular. elsewhere in the Labyrinth is good also, as are the slopes of Geryon on both the pine valley and windy ridge sides. You can also get a distant view of a huge amount of fagus on the southern slopes of Ossa from the northern end of the du cane range.

Crater lake is great too (but everyone has a photo of that!). Around cradle, also try Hounslow Heath (behind Waldheim) and the Twisted Lakes out near Hanson's Peak.

Good luck - can't wait for the photo gallery.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Tue 22 Apr, 2008 12:14 am

wello wrote:Around cradle, also try Hounslow Heath (behind Waldheim).

Yes, if anyone has only a short time and wants some good pics, either the Hounslow Heath track of the Maryland track from the Ronny Creek car park. These tracks meet at a nice Nothofagus forest where the track comes down off Hounslow Heath (below Brewery Knob).
Last edited by walkinTas on Tue 22 Apr, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 22 Apr, 2008 7:40 am

All reports are that the Fagus is looking pretty good at the moment.
The weather looks set to crack up on Friday with a significant low, and an associated cold front to cross.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDE00902.loop.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDG00074.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDT13100.html

Sorry to be the burden of bad news to all looking to get amongst it this weekend. :(
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby walkinTas » Tue 22 Apr, 2008 7:10 pm

Not good news for Fagus hunters. Rain, wind and highland snow before Sunday. :( Tomorrow morning will be good! :wink:
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Tue 22 Apr, 2008 8:40 pm

johnw wrote:There is a distributon map on the PWS web site but it lacks detail.

John, This might help. I dropped the PWS Distribution map over the Tasmap Index map. 4038 Cradle, 4037 Wills and 4235 Du Cane (The Labyrinth) are the hot spots as you would expect. Mt. King William II and Cheyne Range down to Mt. Gell and Mount Bobs also feature on the distribution map. Amazingly, I can't see a single red dot on 4027 Dobson (Mt. Field).

Bring your thermals, the nights are getting cold now.

Fagus2.jpg
Fagus2.jpg (138.99 KiB) Viewed 14696 times

big
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 23 Apr, 2008 12:55 am

walkinTas wrote: John, This might help. I dropped the PWS Distribution map over the Tasmap Index map. 4038 Cradle, 4037 Wills and 4235 Du Cane are the hot spots. Mt. King William II and Cheyne Range down to Mt. Gell and Mount Bobs also feature on the distribution map. Amazingly, I can't see a single red dot on 4027 Dobson (Mt. Field).

Thanks for that. I think Mt Field remains my best option as we're heading straight to New Norfolk for a couple of days on arrival later next week. Hopefully the Fagus is still OK then.

walkinTas wrote: Bring your thermals, the nights are getting cold now.

Brr! Thks, already packed them, although it will only be day trips this visit. Looks like I'll have to plan a future repeat of the Overland Track at this time of year to see some of those hot spots. :)

Kind regards,
John W
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 7:25 am

The photos of Fagus from this year (and one from last year) have been moved to the gallery forum here: Fagus 2008
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wello » Thu 15 May, 2008 8:56 pm

Some might find this hard to believe, but I was at Cradle Mtn from the 11th May to the 14th May and the Fagus is still quite reasonable in a lot of places. The better spots were Crater Lake, Lake Dove (mainly on Marion's Lookout), Lake Wilkes, Waterfall Valley and Innes Falls (these falls really are worth a look!) Areas that are now gone are Lake Rodway area, Twisted Lakes, and Mt Campbell. Being this late, the colours aren't at their best, but it was still well worth the trip.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 19 May, 2008 8:56 am

There was still some very bright yellow Gunnii bushes around Lake Meston yesterday (18th May). Most of the bushes were well past it, but some had a few leaves, and occasionally you'd see a bush that was still mostly covered. The leaves that were still on the bushes were such a very bright yellow that they almost looked fluorescent in the dull overcast light.

I'll add a photo or two to the gallery topic a bit later today.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 19 May, 2008 10:54 am

wello wrote:Some might find this hard to believe, but I was at Cradle Mtn from the 11th May to the 14th May and the Fagus is still quite reasonable in a lot of places. The better spots were Crater Lake, Lake Dove (mainly on Marion's Lookout), Lake Wilkes, Waterfall Valley and Innes Falls (these falls really are worth a look!) Areas that are now gone are Lake Rodway area, Twisted Lakes, and Mt Campbell. Being this late, the colours aren't at their best, but it was still well worth the trip.

Wello

I believe it because I also saw most of it. Only got back to Sydney from my recent Tasmanian trip on Friday night (via NSW south coast for several days). Made a spur of the moment decision to go up to Cradle Mtn the day before we left Tassie (Sat 10th May). Were staying at East Devonport at the time. Anyway I also thought that the fagus still seemed reasonable in a number of places. Our walk plans didn't quite go to schedule though. Attempted Hounslow Heath track as it's one of a handful up there we had never done. We found it really hard going in the first section and were wasting too much time (only had a short day available due to other commitments), but did see some fagus there. So we bailed out and headed for Dove Lake thinking we could climb Mt Campbell (also not done before). The track closed sign on the Hansons Peak saddle clobbered that idea as well, but there were more Fagus photo opps there. Finally thought we'd walk all the way back to the visitors centre via the board walk (also never done). But running so late by now that we took the shuttle bus from Snake Hill (had parked at the information centre). Time up, so bought a book at the visitors centre and went back to Devonport.

I haven't caught up with all the new posts yet but seems like some fagus is still around, though in decreasing amounts and quality. We also went to Tarn Shelf at Mt Field NP earlier in the trip and saw some reasonable fagus there, but past its peak I think. When I finish going through the 700 odd photos I took :roll: I'll post a couple.

Kind regards,
John W
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion