polyester/nylon vs wool/cotton

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

polyester/nylon vs wool/cotton

Postby Matt » Sun 27 May, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi guys
just wondering what your thoughts were as im doing the overland track in june ive been told to avoid cotton/wool as it takes to long to dry
But if it is under a raincoat does it matter??
Matt
Matt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 27 May, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi Matt,

It depends on which layer you are thinking of. In general, natural fabrics are better at wicking sweat away from the body than most synthetics. This avoids the sweat evaporating directly from the body, but wicks it away from the body so that it doesn't cool the body so quickly. I prefer wool thermals for their wicking, and they are more comfortable than synthetic and remain warm even when wet. I find that synthetic thermals end up smelling a lot worse a lot quicker too.
Edit: Note that although wool works well for this cotton does not, and can make you very cold very quickly.

For the thicker outer layers I prefer polar fleece, as it is lighter and dries much quicker (wool takes forever to dry!). Even with a good raincoat, you'll end up getting at least a bit wet, either from sweat or from rain running down your face, etc.

I hope your trip goes well. Don't forget to write in afterwards to tell us about it.
Last edited by Brass Monkey on Tue 29 May, 2007 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby kantonysen » Mon 28 May, 2007 7:03 am

Hi Matt
Conditions in the Park could be quite severe and so it is important to have clothes that are quick drying. Wool when damp holds warmth but this is not the case with cotton. Synthetics do a good job and it is debatable as to whether they are as good as wool.
I'm going on the walk first week of the school holidays and plan on taking 5 top layers just in case ( two thermal t shirts one being wool, a thermal light jacket and wind stopper jacket).
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Mon 28 May, 2007 8:01 pm

Greetings!
I would stay well away from cotton.
All it will do is give you more weight to carry when it's wet.
I prefer synthetic to wool, and lots of layers. Layers is the key so I'm told... Always worked for me.
Keep dry - a good japara is the key. You will end up wet to some extent due to sweat, but you don't want rain getting in if you can help it.

Moisture wicking away from the body through whatever fabric will only get so far in Tassie due to the temp / humidity in the air, the effect of materials like gore-tex will struggle to allow the moisture to pass out as it would in a warmer / drier climate. Well that's my interpretation of how I had it explained to me by those that know....

With luck it will snow instead of rain :shock:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby kantonysen » Mon 28 May, 2007 9:17 pm

Tasadam is sure right about cotton, years ago we nearly lost a member of our party due to hyothermia. He was wearing cotton clothes, synthetic thermals were not yet available. My recollection is that he had a leaky parka also.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 29 May, 2007 9:20 am

Wicking moisture away from the body is still useful in colder climates like Tassie, as recommended by most cold-climate/alpine walking guides (eg, I just found this one). It sure doesn't evaporate as quickly as in warmer climates, but it is important that when it does evaporate, it is away from the skin as much as possible. That way it doesn't extract warmth directly from the body as it evaporates.

So even though it may not evaporate quickly under a gortex jacket, at least it is removed away from the body to some degree.

In warmer climates, wicking moisture away from the body is not a problem as you actually want the sweat to evaporate directly from your skin, to cool it down as it was designed to do.

There are some newer synthetic fabrics that do a reasonable job at this, but wool is the best (cotton wicks OK, but as already mentioned by others, it does not keep you warm when it is wet).

As Tasadam says... pray for snow... it's more fun than rain, and of course you don't get as wet!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 29 May, 2007 12:59 pm

This article might be of use to you: How to Dress for Winter Weather.

It is particularly aimed at very cold winters including sports activity clothing for winter.

As with most such recommendations, it stresses layers: Wicking, Insulating, Protection (ie, wind/water proofing, often referred to as the "Shell" layer).

They also recommend wicking-capable synthetics for the thermal underware. I find wool thermals to be more comfortable - it looks and feels like cotton T-shirt fabric, but a little softer.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Matt » Tue 29 May, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks guys for your help and advice :D :D :D
Matt
Matt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mowser » Tue 29 May, 2007 9:31 pm

Having spent many trips guiding on the overland track and other areas, if there is one thing i can recommend it is that there is nothing more essential than a good gore-tex jacket. If you don't have access to one they are available at most bushwalking stores (paddy pallin, mountain designs in launceston) and also a bloke by the name of Mr. Snare on Penquite road in launceston.
They are expensive to buy, but if you look after them they will last for years. I've had my paddy pallin goretex for 10 years and it's still going strong. The same goes for a good warm polar fleece/polartec jumper/jacket. Definately no cotton (t-shirt for wear in the hut/tent's ok), or denim jeans etc. I've had to deal with a couple of people with mild hypothermia on the overland (in summer!) and both times it was due to poor equipment and unpreparedness.
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Joe » Tue 29 May, 2007 10:41 pm

last year i replaced my synthetic thermal top with a woolen one. still use synthetic troos...but its only due to lack of funds...I will upgrade to woll when i get a chance. the wool is warmer, more comfortable...and as others have said stays warm even when wet. cant be beaten.

The other thing i love is my merino possum socks. If you have a friend/reli/yourself going to NewZealand anytime soon grab as many pairs as you can afford...best...socks...eva!
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby tasadam » Tue 29 May, 2007 11:55 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:The other thing i love is my merino possum socks. If you have a friend/reli/yourself going to NewZealand anytime soon grab as many pairs as you can afford...best...socks...eva!

Hey Joe

Are they anything like these?
http://www.mongrelsocks.com.au/shop/ago ... inc=possum
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Joe » Wed 30 May, 2007 12:06 am

yup...not same brand but anything with merino wool blend is AWESOME. I got a few pairs of thin ones...and a couple of nice thick ones for walking. Its been a family tradition that those that go to NZ buy a bajilion pairs to share around.

also have a merino/possum beanie which is keeping my head warm as i type this...i cop a lot of flack for it...its the nepalese style with the earwarmer flaps...I love it!
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby tasadam » Wed 30 May, 2007 12:15 am

Forecast for Wednesday
Showers falling as snow around 800 metres in the south during the day

Thursday
Highland snow developing

Friday
Showers and light highland snow about the west, south and east

Here's hoping the snow continues!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 30 May, 2007 10:02 am

Mowser wrote:Having spent many trips guiding on the overland track and other areas, if there is one thing i can recommend it is that there is nothing more essential than a good gore-tex jacket.
(snip)
They are expensive to buy, but if you look after them they will last for years. I've had my paddy pallin goretex for 10 years and it's still going strong.

... And the lifetime warranty is real, and worth using! My gortex jacket started seeping water through in several areas after about 15 years. I took it in for a warranty replacement, and they sent it off to Sydney for checking (and lent me a loaner in the meantime).

The lab from Sydney phoned me a few days later, and had clearly been doing lots of tests and wanted to ask me a few questions. They were curious about the many microscopic holes on the sleeves (one of the areas that had lost it waterproofness) and I explained that my best guess was that they were due to walking through thick scoparia many times. Then they asked me about how I washed and dried it and how often.

They were not satisfied that I had been washing and caring for it well enough, but in the end were willing to pay for half the cost of a new replacement jacket. I was quite happy with that, because I then re-read the care instructions, and they were right, I hadn't been caring for it correctly.

But I still ended up getting a new one for half price.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Wed 30 May, 2007 10:20 am

My shellwear -
http://www.mont.com.au/index/catalog/product/002
Not Gore-tex but Hydronaute Pro.
Works well and not quite as expensive as Gore-tex.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Return to Bushwalking Discussion