jocks, boxers or commando....?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: jocks, boxers or commando....?

Postby corvus » Mon 29 Mar, 2010 7:33 pm

sthughes wrote:Tried all types over the last few months, reckon briefs are worst even though that's pretty much all I have worn my whole life. Everything else ('tight' boxers, satin boxers, commando) all work well for me. After getting a bit chaffed on day 2 to Frenchmans I wore satin boxers on day 3 and commando on the last day, both were ok but I reckon satin might be a bit low stretch for lots of steep uphill. :wink:

Hey sthughes,
Why did you not sing out as I could have lent you my Papaw cream :lol: remember this" old fart "carries a good first aid kit :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Turfa » Mon 29 Mar, 2010 7:36 pm

My vote is for swim shorts with the sewn-in netting. Not quite jocks, not quite commando, but a good compromise.
I'm not really prone to chafing but these worked for me for a 4 month walk.

Cheers,

Chris
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby north-north-west » Mon 29 Mar, 2010 7:48 pm

I went commando on Sunday, mainly because I couldn't be bothered digging out the clean knickers. It's surprisingly comfy - no seams to rub anywhere. And it's quicker if you get caught short . . . not that I did, mind you, but I was thinking about the implications.
I'm thinking of trying lycra shorts for walking instead of my usual zip-offs. Need something that will fit without a belt or all those seams and loops around the waist.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 30 Mar, 2010 9:58 am

north-north-west wrote:I'm thinking of trying lycra shorts for walking instead of my usual zip-offs. Need something that will fit without a belt or all those seams and loops around the waist.

I've just been converted to a pair of board shorts found in an op shop for that reason - very comfortable under a pack hip belt. No pockets though. So many bushwalking shorts do have seams and loops and scratchy labels on them.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Macca81 » Tue 30 Mar, 2010 2:37 pm

north-north-west wrote:I'm thinking of trying lycra shorts for walking instead of my usual zip-offs. Need something that will fit without a belt or all those seams and loops around the waist.

padded-arsed bike shorts, minus the padded-arse.

having done a lot of riding and a few multisports a few years ago, i can attest to the fact that bike shorts make for good running shorts ;) if you could get them without the padding, i think they would be ideal for just about any physicaly activity... almost...
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby north-north-west » Tue 30 Mar, 2010 7:42 pm

Yeah, that's the idea. They're warm in cool weather and when it's warmer they keep you cool once they get damp from the sweat. If they had pockets they'd be perfect. Have to see what I can rig up out of my old training gear. If I can find it . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tas@Heart » Tue 30 Mar, 2010 9:32 pm

Very thin Lycra shorts ( no padding ) are definitely worth a try. They are very stretchy with no rubbing seams, firm fitting with everything held in place and very warm. They dry faster than anything else and as a result can be rinsed and recycled readily . Even though they are warm/tight they don't seem to sweat much. I bought some last year at Target for about $25 and they weigh 110g .
They are a little weird for they first few wears until you get used to the hold they take on you. Some may like that of course. They are too rude for swimming in public .......
The baby nappy rash ointment, Bepanthin (antiseptic version) is very good for chaffing . Overnight miracle cure.
Smooth walking
Wish I was in Tassie
Tas@Heart
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Boxers Commando

Postby davidmorr » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 9:14 pm

Lynda Moir wrote:
corvus wrote:In addition if you experience chafing,sore bum, or any other ailment in that area or elsewhere I can recomend Lucas Papaw Ointment it works on every orifice check it out :D

Vaseline does the job too.
Just noticed in Coles today a small tube of "Lanacane Chafing Gel". According to the packet, it seems to form a skin over the chafed area that lasts for up to 7 days. $14.25 for the tube.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby pierrelepom » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 6:36 pm

as a former infantry conscript (Vietnam etc.) I can tell you that over there you quickly ditched your underdaks, as on operations it help ease the pain of tinea around your nether regions. As a bushwalker, (god knows why i am, as I swore I would NEVER go anywhere with a pack on my back, or EVER sleep on the ground again!) I've tried most methods.
I've walked the Overland Track with no underdaks! wearing Columbia shorts inbuilt with a gusset similar to board-shorts, and in the evening thermal leggings sans undies,( 9 days the last time 1pr. of shorts).
I also like the Kiwi look thermal leggings under shorts, again with the thermals who needs undies?
The synthetic undies available through Paddy Pallin etc. served me well on a 6 month world trip in 2007. Wash in the sink or shower, (or stream) roll in a towel, dry in 3-4 hours! seriously, ditch the cotton undies, they get soaked and take forever to dry, it's the only way, take it from an old fart like me!!
pierrelepom
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ent » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:13 am

Favourite underwear is Icebreaker boxer shorts but have noticed the newer ones (mine were five year old) appear a lot shorter in the leg. Only thing is they do not dry if wet but once warmed up are ok.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Boxers Commando

Postby enduro » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 9:38 pm

Lynda Moir wrote:
corvus wrote:My everday undershorts are satin boxers which suit me ,my walking companion Son wears knit cotton boxers but when Bushwalking we both wear polyprop boxers . Over the past 15 years we experinced various levels of chafing and decided to retify this with the polyprop boxers and for the past five years or so we now walk in comfort .
In addition if you experience chafing,sore bum, or any other ailment in that area or elsewhere I can recomend Lucas Papaw Ointment it works on every orifice check it out :D

Vaseline does the job too.
Lynda

With a name like Lynda, I'm sure you don't have the tools of mens trade "at hand". :lol:

I hear Vaseline can be good for many things, but wouldn't want to use it on my body at all ... given it is a petrochemical.

Also, very hard to wash off if you no longer want it on there or have a reaction etc.
enduro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby enduro » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 9:49 pm

Having "delicate" skin, I do suffer from chaffing between the thighs. Mostly when I have been on a long walk of several days.

I'm a briefs guy and prefer cotton except when I am walking which is when I really need a lycra/poly cotton mix. I'd be willing to assess some wool undies if they were available as they would be much less likely to stink to hich heaven as synthetics would by morning tea time.

For now I use a Jockey Coolmax
Code: Select all
http://www.jockeyaustralia.com.au/catalogue.asp?gender=m&categoryid=212&productid=411
which works great, however do eventually ride up the thighs a bit.
enduro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby flyfisher » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 9:57 pm

I have a couple of favourite pairs of shorts which I keep just for walking. They are Columbia GRT and PFG (performance fishing gear) and they have a mesh liner which does away with the need for underpants and has totally eliminated chafing for me, and things run cooler which is great in hot weather. :wink:

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Genesis » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:21 pm

My 2 cents...

Commando all the way, Less weight, no rubbing in IMPORTANT areas and I find it far more comfortable IMO.

Muzz
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Liamy77 » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 11:40 pm

i vary it depending on the weather.... here in WA (hot..... 33 celcius here at 9pm yesterday) i walk in shorts bather things with a netting brief built in....best of both worlds - air con with control! otherwise i wear the fitted stretchy cotton boxer as i sweat less than in lycra. i have a couple of pairs of walking zip offs with a net jock built in that arre good too....

isn't it amazing the info you can find here - not just the shirt off ya back but........ :lol:
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby weetbix456 » Wed 23 Feb, 2011 7:00 pm

I've recently discovered the joy of running shorts with those inbuilt mesh pants!! a whole month without undies across indo and now i just can't look back :wink: oh boy!!
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby Steven » Sun 03 Apr, 2011 7:29 am

I have used Lycra bike shorts for sometime now with a lot of success.

They are comfortable, don't slip or fall down, have a chamois crotch to prevent chaffing, and the pair I have has a gel backside that make sitting a little more comfortable.

They tend not to stink like cotton jocks or boxers.

Highly recommended!
Steven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tas-man » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 3:59 pm

tas-man wrote:on Fri 08 Feb, 2008
I have found the found that on walks longer than 2-3 days, chaffing in the groin region can seriously impact upon the joy of extended walking trips. My most "chafing experiences" were several week long walks in the tropics of PNG in the 1970's, and commando style was the only solution then with lots of antibiotic/antifungal powder applied regularly. On a five day Tassie summer trip in 1992, the "jock rot" reared its ugly head and I had to resort to more than just a "no undie Monday" with cortisone anti inflamitory ointment and a jury rigged jock strap made from a spare sock to prevent further chaffing! Necessity IS the mother of invention! I reckon that there would be a big market for bloke's jocks that if comfortable for a week in the bush, would be brilliant for everyday wear. I have sometimes wondered that with all the design effort that goes into women's support equipment, why bloke's gear couldn't get similar attention for more practical and comfortable underwear.

Giving this old topic a nudge with a recent find that has answered my question posed a decade ago! I recently came across a the website for an OZ mens underwear manufacturer producing a range of underwear that provides the sort of support and anti chaffing measures that I had imagined might be feasible. Ordered one to try out and tested on a recent hot Tassie summer's day walk - BRILLIANT! . . . so have ordered some more. Here's a link to their website and the ones I tried out. https://obviously.com.au/primeman-boxer ... anium.html
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ErichFromm » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 6:26 pm

When doing the oxfam 100km walk the advise was always bike shorts (2xu etc) and anti chafe like butt butter, or body glide. As a big chafer - gotta say it works a charm. Some of the products are really good for helping when you've already chafed too.
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion