Storing metho in a soft drink bottle

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Storing metho in a soft drink bottle

Postby Solohike74 » Mon 10 Dec, 2012 9:45 pm

It's less weight, but is it reliable and safe?
Solohike74
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA; Friends of: Bogong, The Prom, Cobberas, Baw Baw
Region: Australia

Re: Storing metho in a soft drink bottle

Postby Strider » Mon 10 Dec, 2012 9:54 pm

Solohike74 wrote:It's less weight, but is it reliable and safe?

Worst that could happen is that it leaks and evaporates. But then you have no fuel...
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby John Sheridan » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 4:16 am

Worse thing ??

Nahh the bottle punctures in your pack and it explodes with a spark and you burn to death covered in flames.

Don't think that would happen though :)
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 5:37 am

Worse thing that can happen, is it can be mistaken for water or cordial.
Anyone could easily grab the bottle and take a mouthful before you realize it, you've taken a mouthful.

I highly recommend you do not do this, I know someone thats died because someone placed poison in a soft drink bottle. It happened to my brothers neighbor recently.

I think this is a very stupid and highly dangerous practice.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby frenchy_84 » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 6:31 am

It's not a good idea. I know someone who ended up boiling a pot full of metho because he stored metho in water bottles and grabbed the wrong one, luckily the pot didnt ignite.
Another time, there was a OT womble inside Pelion hut who was red/green color blind who had a two proper bottles, one green one red and identical shape, who not only boiled metho but when it ignited grabbed the metho bottle and tipped more on the flames (although i think that water on a metho fire would be bad) regardless, he tried his hardest to burn the hut down, someone had to stop drop and roll and it gave me a chuckle
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Turfa » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 11:58 am

I have been using a small PET water bottle (300ml) for metho for several years & it has performed very well. Tough, light & no leaks. Any liquids I carry, including fuel, are stored outside my pack liner in case of leaks. I have labelled it extremely clearly that it is fuel. Yes, it would be stupid to store metho in exactly the same type of (unlabelled) bottle that you carry water in.... but if you exercise some common sense you could do it safely.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby forest » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 12:27 pm

If you use a regular drink bottle label the hell out of it.
Adds a good deal of weight to having a colour dye in the metho. The NZ metho is purple and I thought it a good idea. Never can get that purple stain out of my stove though...... Ah bragging rights I guess from an NZ trip. Proves I've burned purple stuff.....
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 12:34 pm

If you really want to carry method in a plastic bottle, why would you not just buy it in a plastic bottle and keep it in the plastic bottle?

How is pouring it out of the plastic bottle it comes in into a soft drink bottle going to make it any lighter?

Unless you're buying it in bulk, and wanting to divvy it out into smaller bottles, I guess.

I used to always* carry my metho in the plastic bottles it came in. No danger of it getting confused with anything else as it's clearly labelled.

*well not always - initially I carried it in metal bottles, but after one of those got a pin-hole leak and got method over EVERYTHING in a friend's pack, I decided that the plastic bottles couldn't do any worse. I've never had any problems with them leaking, but of course you need to pack with some care and don't just toss your pack about.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 12:40 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:How is pouring it out of the plastic bottle it comes in into a soft drink bottle going to make it any lighter?

It's because it's a lighter and more compact bottle. Yes, sometimes smaller. I've used PET bottles for petrol too. And wine, and whisky, and water. I can keep it straightened out, but if I were in a group I agree it would make sense to label them carefully, less someone pour the whisky into the stove!

Aside from the container it comes in, what do people carry their fuel in? Are there specially shaped or lableled metho bottles for sale?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby forest » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 1:05 pm

I just use one of these.
http://www.traildesigns.com/accessories/fuel-bottle-kit
Holds about 220ml off memory of metho. Plenty for a solo week trip.
I don't have it labelled as such but it's not really a bottle that looks like a drink bottle. I'm a bad sharer too.....

forest

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 1:07 pm

I been using Esbit Tablets as a fuel source. Works a treat on my Trail Design Cooking systems.

I possibly will be trying Metho on my next hike. Esbit tablets not all that easy to source here in Australia.

I have both a 4oz and a 8oz plastic containers for Metho, containers where supplied with my Trail Design Cooking systems.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 1:08 pm

Orion wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:How is pouring it out of the plastic bottle it comes in into a soft drink bottle going to make it any lighter?

It's because it's a lighter and more compact bottle. Yes, sometimes smaller. I've used PET bottles for petrol too. And wine, and whisky, and water. I can keep it straightened out, but if I were in a group I agree it would make sense to label them carefully, less someone pour the whisky into the stove!

Aside from the container it comes in, what do people carry their fuel in? Are there specially shaped or lableled metho bottles for sale?

Buy a smaller bottle of metho? They come in several sizes.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby forest » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 1:21 pm

Phillipsart wrote:I been using Esbit Tablets as a fuel source. Works a treat on my Trail Design Cooking systems.

I possibly will be trying Metho on my next hike. Esbit tablets not all that easy to source here in Australia.

I have both a 4oz and a 8oz plastic containers for Metho, containers where supplied with my Trail Design Cooking systems.

I'm also loving the esbit.

One this I did notice in Tassie was that the shops (Same stores as home) I looked in you could buy either 500ml or 1ltr metho bottles.
In my local stores up here like coles and woolies it's seems that they only stock the 1ltr bottles. It's mainly the camping shops that I've seen 500ml bottles.
Makes sense to re-bottle if the main option is a 1ltr quantity and a short trip. Still I wouldn't use a regular water bottle incase of accidental drinking etc.

forest

Postby Nuts » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 1:26 pm

I've used 125ml nalgenes on a few private walks. They are easy to carry, enough for 2 days each, bombproof, you can buy on eBay in bulk these days ( were once expensive little suckers). I did once make the mistake of filling a metho one with pesto, fixed that by using metho ones to store xduck tape (wrapped around). Something tells me this isn't going to be light enough.. Don't forget pack size would be my input there. I can fit 3/4 in each side pocket , otherwise unused and a good spot for fuel (in a sil bag + secure). I did find some kidney shaped nalgenes that also work well like this...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 1:37 pm

forest wrote:
Phillipsart wrote:I been using Esbit Tablets as a fuel source. Works a treat on my Trail Design Cooking systems.

I'm also loving the esbit.

One this I did notice in Tassie was that the shops (Same stores as home) I looked in you could buy either 500ml or 1ltr metho bottles.
In my local stores up here like coles and woolies it's seems that they only stock the 1ltr bottles. It's mainly the camping shops that I've seen 500ml bottles.
Makes sense to re-bottle if the main option is a 1ltr quantity and a short trip. Still I wouldn't use a regular water bottle incase of accidental drinking etc.

Yeh, I think there great as well. Luckily I purchased them in bulk a while back for a very cheap price from a store in Sydney, I think they wanted to get rid of them. I'm saving them for long hikes and will start using Metho on shorter hikes of only a few day's or less. Longer treks, I think it's more efficient to carry Esbit Tablets.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LandSailor » Wed 12 Dec, 2012 3:53 pm

For short trips I use a plastic Isocol (rubbing alchohol) bottle to hold my metho. Its very durable and easily recognisable. Holds about 350ml.
isocol.jpg
Isocol
isocol.jpg (3.63 KiB) Viewed 105487 times
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 12 Dec, 2012 4:12 pm

For small quantities of metho and olive oil I have been using these little kids yoghurt containers. The hold hold about 90 - 100 ml of fluids enough metho for a weekend or olive oil for a several days. They weight just under 7 grams. So far they appear quite robust and have not leaked on me but I do keep them in my cook set so they are not getting too squashed. Available in most supermarkets, I notice a wider range of sizes are becoming available. The McWilliams vinsac is 250ml capacity and 11 grams. The ones I mean are the 2 on the left of the image with the screw tops.

More generally, any pet bottle is fine for metho as this is what it is sold in around the country.

breakfastrange_0.png
Squishy containers
breakfastrange_0.png (110.89 KiB) Viewed 105477 times
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby corvus » Wed 12 Dec, 2012 8:41 pm

You can buy dedicated fuel bottles I have a Sigg 530ml 110gm Red and suitably marked as such, Trangia also do one.
http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.as ... pQodEAsA6Q
So you can use a dedicated fuel bottle if you want ,I personally only use gas now ,quicker cleaner and no danger of spills or contamination :)
corvus

P.S. sheesh !! I have too many stoves as I also forgot to mention the 1lt Optimus fuel bottle
which can be pressurized that came with the Explorer 11 Stove system I have.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Orion » Thu 13 Dec, 2012 3:37 am

That 500ml Trangia bottle weighs 115g. I have a similar sized Pepsi bottle and it weighs 30g. That's the reason I have used PET bottles for fuel. If it were a concern I could paste a big red sticker with skull and crossbones on it.

The bigger worry is mixing up water bottle and pee bottle in the winter. Not as dangerous maybe, but very unpleasant (so I'm told).
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Wollemi » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 2:34 pm

frenchy_84 wrote:Another time, there was a OT womble inside Pelion hut who was red/green color blind who had a two proper bottles, one green one red and identical shape...

I would just like to say that there would appear to be different levels of colour-blindness. I have failed the Ishihara test more than once. And although I have a red-green colour deficiency, perhaps there are differing levels of such Daltonism.
I see the various shades/hues/tones of green that make up the Bushwalk.com page, I see the red-pencils and pens in a cup beside me. I use one of those pens that have the four mostly used colours - and never mistake red from green; I am complimented for my bushwalking photography; I don't drive contrary to traffic lights, either.

Please just don't reject someone out of hand due to X-linked recessive inheritance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichromacy

/rant :)
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby frenchy_84 » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 3:33 pm

Wollemi wrote:Please just don't reject someone out of hand due to X-linked recessive inheritance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichromacy

/rant :)

I wasnt, i was rejecting someone who although unable to tell the difference between a green and a red bottle still chose to use those 2 bottles to store water and metho in...
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vagrom » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 7:08 pm

Phew.... Talk about a storm in a Metho bottle. :?

The little Nippys (300ml) fruit juice bottles are just fine. The smaller the screw-mouth, the safer.
And the best and lightest water bottles are the Schweppes 1.25 l Soda Water bottles, built to take a battering. Squeeze-fill them in a running stream and decanter contents into your wine-bladder.
Carry water high as it's heavy and ensure, as with any liquids, that if something punctures that things below, like your Sleeping Bag etc. are in waterproofed sacks. Using a few shopping bags as inner bagging/compartment/groupers can be helpful. They're cheap and light and act as internal barriers.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Rob A » Wed 19 Dec, 2012 3:02 pm

I'd rather pay a little more and drink something better.
Brown paper bag will shield you from the judgemental?
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby MartyGwynne » Thu 27 Dec, 2012 4:11 pm

I use 1 litre nalgene for longer harsh trips small 300m sigg for short trips (weight does not mater so much)
I have also used the 600ml soft drink bottles and also 1125 ml soft drink bottles - though we purchased a very cheap soda water bottle once which crease badly and developed a split in it after only 1 days walking yuk yuk yuk.
To avoid confusion I use some red electrical tape around the fuel bottle.

Of subject sort of I do like the 600ml soft drink PET bottle to decant a 700 ml bottle of wine (or whiskey) into (yes drink the last mouthful just prior to walking....)

So yes I've done it often just make sure the sturdier ones are used.
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 06 Jan, 2013 5:10 pm

Can't get this confused with any other food or water - comes clearly labelled.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4OZ-FLIP-TOP ... 3cb5a4c89b

Or he sells a little kit with 3 stoves, a pot stand, rollable wind screen and fuel bottle for a little over $20 (looks like he is negotiable as there is 'make an offer' option)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-ALCOHOL-ST ... 3a7d19072f
I bought a set like this a few months ago to have a play with
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby quicky » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 7:41 pm

I store my liquid fuels in Listerine bottles. They are slim, so pack nicely into my pack's front pocket, or tucked nicely up inside my Trail Designs Sidewinder cone.
Plus, they have the security closure...works a treat. And they pour well...so less spills.
The 'mini' size holds 80-90mls...so great for 2-3 days (depending on your requirements).
The bigger bottle holds 250mls....heaps of volume!

IMG_2036.jpg
Methylated Spirits in Mini Listerine bottle

Please excuse error on bottle...it should read Ethanol. It doesn't matter though...the warning is pretty clear. :D

IMG_2037.jpg
Listerine bottle tucked inside coiled Caldera Cone

All fits nicely into my Evernew pot including stove, half a pack-light towel, spoon, lighter and measuring cup.
quicky
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 8:03 pm

Phillipsart wrote:Worse thing that can happen, is it can be mistaken for water or cordial.
Anyone could easily grab the bottle and take a mouthful before you realize it, you've taken a mouthful.

I highly recommend you do not do this, I know someone thats died because someone placed poison in a soft drink bottle. It happened to my brothers neighbor recently.

I think this is a very stupid and highly dangerous practice.

Great topic.
This post sums up my thoughts.

Though, I use Shellite stoves and dedicated fuel bottles.
Is it about weight?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 09 Jan, 2013 9:50 pm

+ above post.

And Quicky, all you need is a set of electronic scales and looks like you're cooking up some crystal meth in a home drug lab!
(isn't methylated spirits mainly ethanol with a bit of methanol in it? - so your label is sort of correct?)

Good idea with the little travel sized listerine bottle. I like those travel sized products but you pay a lot for them. I found some smal bottles of hand sanitiser with a caribiner on it for $1 each in a $2 shop today, was pretty pleased by my find.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Travis22 » Thu 10 Jan, 2013 2:41 pm

Quicky, looks like a great setup you have going on there! I like it.

We've always carried our fuel in the small Trangia brand fuel container.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby quicky » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:32 am

@ Onestepmore
Yeah, you're right, it is mainly Ethanol with some Meth's in it.... I was just trying to not confuse the matter. :D

@Travis22
Cheers. I'm certainly happy with it. It works. That Listerine bottle is great for up to about 3 days max. When used with a Zelph Stoveworks Starlyte burner, I can bring one cup of water to boil on about 10-12ml of fuel.
So this bottle is on the larger size. For overnighters, when using liquid fuel, I can get away with a 30ml dropper bottle. That will give me boiled water for my home-dehydrated meal, a cuppa in the evening, and a cuppa in the morning.
quicky
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Make Your Own Gear