MYOG Hammock

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Re: MYOG Hammock

Postby simonm » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 5:32 am

Bluegum Mic wrote:Looks great simon. You should sell some of the organisers on the website.
Once I get a moment to myself (perhaps in 2017 ;-) I'm going to make one of these
http://www.blackgoatgear.com/2011/04/my ... n.html?m=1
I'll be interested to see what the taffeta fabric your getting in is like.

Thanks Mic. I am considering putting these up on the site and I have just had a request for a roll up organiser.

2017 is a reasonable time frame when you have young one's :P .

The taffeta should be ok as I know a well known hammock maker offers it as one of their fabrics, and it is super cheap.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby simonm » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 5:33 am

ofuros wrote:Nice goodies & nice workmanship, simon.

Thanks mate.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 5:48 pm

On my latest hammock I did the ends slightly different. I started off doing the end in the Warbonnet style but ended up finishing off by whipping it, this was good as it means my poor knot tying ability is not exposed :P . The continuous loop attaches to the Dutch cinch buckle then is attached below the whipping via a larks head. I think this will offer a stronger connection rather than through the channel only although I am not sure I have heard of any failures of the channel method. I like the way it looks and the ball at the end gives a nice connection point for the under quilt.

Hammock whipping top.jpg
End channel with whipping top

Hammock whipping.jpg
End channel with whipping
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 7:11 am

Alright have obtained a sewing machine now time to source some fabric. Didnt have any luck in spotlight yesterday which surprised me, maybe lincraft? Anyway ill be making a few hammocks for my brothers as gifts and maybe one more for me too :)
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby simonm » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 8:06 am

perfectlydark wrote:Alright have obtained a sewing machine now time to source some fabric. Didnt have any luck in spotlight yesterday which surprised me, maybe lincraft? Anyway ill be making a few hammocks for my brothers as gifts and maybe one more for me too :)

That's great mate.

PM sent :wink:
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:19 pm

Well all my goods are here so tonight with a spare few hours I decided to make a 'proof of concept' (ie test hammock with cheap material), as it is actually my first time sewing (except a tie die bag in highschool maybe 20 years ago). All seemed to be pretty good! My stitchs are nowhere near as neat as Simons (about 90% straightness) but i used the basic method Simon used in the first hammock there, and is actually not that difficult, but I was lazy and didnt bother measuring or pinning, something I will rectify on the 'real run' tomorrow.
Thanks again Simon for the advice and inspiration, I'd recommend anyone else give this a go, you have nothing to lose!
On a side note I got some ripstop nylon from spotlight today but Im not sure if I would again..looks incredibly light (much lighter than my actual hammock), obviously not coated but im still unsure of the load bearing capacity..so I will be test hanging this one low lol! Will make sure to get some proper materials in future, was just in a rush due to xmas coming up unfortunately
perfectlydark

Postby simonm » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 1:18 am

Hey mate,

Obviously depends on your weight but that fabric should be fine - it should be good for over 100kg I reckon, people use much lighter ripstop nylon than that for hammocks. I have probably loaded ours up to about 105-110kg with 1 adult and 2 young kids.

Oh and don't worry about the stitches you should see my latest on my daughters top quilt :shock: . Measuring and pinning always helps.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby perfectlydark » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 6:19 am

Hehe nice! Yeah well if this holds I gotta say im amazed with current fabric technology! Its bright yellow so it wont hide anywhere
perfectlydark

Postby simonm » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 11:22 am

The other thing to note about the Spotlight fabric is that it is narrower than the fabrics I stock. I find a wider hammock is slightly more comfortable by allowing you to get on a bit more of a diagonal.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby perfectlydark » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:27 pm

yes I believe this was 150cm which seemed a little narrorer than what ive seen elsewhere. Finished the job will test it out soon
perfectlydark

Postby Major Icehole » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm pretty much a lurker around this forum and have been for quite a while but I've been eyeballing a sewing machine myself with the goal of putting together a hammock/tarp set up. So this thread has pulled me out of the woodwork.

Congrats @perfectlydark. You should post some pics so we can see your crooked stitches!

@Simonm, thanks for your diligence, I've seen you around here and other forums touting your wares. I'm hoping to put in an order with you soon. (p.s. ever considered picking up a roll of reflectix to sell by length?)

anyway, carry-on
Major Icehole
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby simonm » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 3:25 pm

Major Icehole wrote:@Simonm, thanks for your diligence, I've seen you around here and other forums touting your wares. I'm hoping to put in an order with you soon. (p.s. ever considered picking up a roll of reflectix to sell by length?)
anyway, carry-on

I really only started the business to get my wife off my back about spending too much times on the various forums - now I can say " but darling i am actually working" :wink:

The reflectix idea has been floated before, I will look into it again and see what I can do.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby perfectlydark » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 5:43 pm

I had intended to get some photos during my field test today, however due to some bizarre circumstances I got out of dodge as soon I confirmed it worked fine and held my weight. (I tested in a local reserve, first some car was driving past really slowly, then a few minutes later came back and parked RIGHT NEXT TO ME in an empty picnic area and just sat there watching. Then drove off. Then another car proceeded to do the same a few minutes later but parked about 20M away FACING me and just sat there, watching. So i hung, sat in, tested it felt OK (hammock was fine but my rigging was crap as I was getting a little spooked tbh) so I didnt bother with photos just packed up and drove off.
I have no idea what the story was with the 2 cars but I have 2 theories and neither are PG13 (drugs or..other..stuff)
perfectlydark

Postby Picaro » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 6:05 pm

Maybe they just wanted to check out the homeless guy sleeping in the park with the awesome hammock.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby simonm » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 6:42 pm

Nah that's just normal when you sleep in a hammock - everyone wants to check it out.

Perhaps you should have gone for a more neutral colour :P .
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby perfectlydark » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 6:53 pm

lol!
funny thing though... first guy came BEFORE i had the hammock out. I was in my car sending a text!
perfectlydark

Postby simonm » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 7:04 pm

Who knows. Reminds me of a t-shirt my wife bought me; "I think paranoid people are following me"

So what rigging did you use for the hammock?
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby perfectlydark » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 8:28 pm

I just grabbed my ropes off the tenth wonder hammock and some tree huggers. Havnt sorted any specific rigging for this one yet
perfectlydark

Postby Nikad19 » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi guys, I've sewn an 11' hexon Hammock and I'm trying to decide which way I want to lay before I add the asymmetrical bug net, they both feel comfortable. I usually sleep on my right side in a normal bed. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nikad19
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby simonm » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 6:04 am

Nikad19 wrote:Hi guys, I've sewn an 11' hexon Hammock and I'm trying to decide which way I want to lay before I add the asymmetrical bug net, they both feel comfortable. I usually sleep on my right side in a normal bed. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say if they are both comfortable then just choose one.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Make Your Own Gear