Canyoning raincoat

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Canyoning raincoat

Postby toughfeet » Fri 14 Nov, 2014 11:49 pm

The Canyon season is upon us again!
I did my first canyon of the season and I had my goretex raincoat on to block the wind we were getting and also for some more protection going down the wet abseils.
I got to thinking how I didn't really need a breathable waterproof layer because hey, I'm already wet. I just need something to stop the waterfall running down my neck and block the wind.

Was thinking of making a vest out of PU Cordura. I'm very new to this so wanted to check my maths before I order. I'm guessing that my torso and had would be 3 ft and I'm about 1.5 ft wide. If I order 6ft by 2ft of 8oz Cordura will I have enough? And are my maths right when I say that piece of fabric will weigh about 450g?

Anybody made anything like this before that can offer some advice?
toughfeet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Canyoning raincoat

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Nov, 2014 6:50 am

Better to get more fabric than run out but why such heavy cloth?
If stopping the water running down your neck is a priority perhaps a hood is needed?
It is a long long time since I did any canyoning ( although we called it Liloing then) but most of the people were wearing thin wetsuits with heavy weight nylon/cotton boilers suits over the top or just shorts when the weather was warm. I don't remember any-one ever wearing PFDs or helmets. So why not just a cheap proofed roadworker style jacket and cut the arms off??
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Canyoning raincoat

Postby toughfeet » Sun 16 Nov, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks MD.
Good point on fabric quantity.
A good hood sounds like a great improvement. Idea behind the heavy cloth was to be pretty durable as sliding over wet sandy rocks tends to be pretty brutal on clothing and gear.

Certainly don't wear pfds or anything to bulky but I do wear a helmet so will have to that into account. Hmm..
toughfeet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Make Your Own Gear