Fly Material options

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Fly Material options

Postby ryangus » Thu 09 Apr, 2015 10:13 am

Not quite bushwalking, but will help keep our camper dry when we're out walking!

I'm looking to make a fly for our Trayon camper. The factory option doesn't suit our needs, so I'm looking to make one.

Anyone able to provide suggested fabrics and suppliers that will keep the rain off and act as a tropical roof? Would need to be sold by the roll, preferable at least 2.2m wide to avoid sewing it together.

Thanks,
Ryan
ryangus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Fly Material options

Postby andrewa » Thu 09 Apr, 2015 10:16 pm

Dimension Polyant do some good sailcloths etc. inc X pack fabrics. I bought a lot of varied fabric from them 6-7 yrs ago. They had ends of rolls of stuff available by the meter.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby simonm » Fri 10 Apr, 2015 4:49 am

Hi Ryan the roll width of 2.2m will be the challenge. You can get Tyvek hard structure in a roll width of 213cm and 270cm. I am not sure of it's suitability in your application but it may work especially as a tropical roof. Will you be using some type of flexible pole to create some air space between the fly and camper?
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:50 am

I have tried sewing the hard Tyvek and that doesn't work
That means you will need to buy the special glue backed tape but it should work reasonably well if there are no point loads. Cheap towel rails make excellent spacers for tropical roofs and you can get as much clearance as you want with packers of polyethylene cut from cheap cutting boards
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ryangus » Fri 10 Apr, 2015 2:20 pm

I think I might just go with one of these - https://oztrail.com.au/product-range/camping-outdoors-tents/tents/camper-fly-by-oztrail. Not reflective, so not sure how much heat it would repel, but cheap an easy to find.
ryangus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to Make Your Own Gear