Another Tarp

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Another Tarp

Postby perfectlydark » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 2:02 pm

Have some time off work so got started ona second DIY tarp after my first attempt proved a tad too small for my purposes. I had some trouble finding some light silnylon both locally and internationally, wondering if theres some sort of shortage? Anyway i wound up taking a gamble on some 2nds from diygearsupply. Its ok and nothing really wrong with it, however has more of a crinkly plasticky feel than silnylon i ordered off Simon at tiergear a little while ago. Anyway beggers cant be choosers.
On the build, i cut my pieces 4m long and 2.6m on the short edges (which of course reduce after hemming). Didnt really do anything fancy on the cat curves, in fact i just folded my pieces in half and cut half crescents to get my curves. Did it by hand and was much easier than fiddling with string trying to get a perfect curve. My stitching was terrible and broke several needles. Tieouts i want to hand sew again as the machine struggled and i only got a basic attachmeny on each which should be ok, but only just ok. Id feel more confident with a better stitch. Seam sealed yesterday.
Overall the build quality im a little dissapointed in thanks to the sewing issues but the shape and size are perfect to my needs. The material seems less crinkly when having setup and rolled up a few times.
Ill add pictures soon the file size is too big on phone
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Another Tarp

Postby perfectlydark » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 2:52 pm

Ok heres the few photos i took
Attachments
rps20150801_144907.jpg
rps20150801_144934.jpg
perfectlydark

Postby simonm » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 7:08 pm

Looks good. What were the sewing issues?

I finally have sil back in stock, I had been waiting for a new fabric to be released.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby perfectlydark » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 7:41 pm

Combo of my crappy 2nd hand cheap machine, my bad skills and a bit of frustration and bad luck. Watching me sew is like watcing homer simpson do somethig..lots of swearing and yelling lol!
Sorry simon i got impatient on the fabric. That said im tempted to make a 1person tent at some point so..
perfectlydark

Postby simonm » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 8:02 pm

perfectlydark wrote:Combo of my crappy 2nd hand cheap machine, my bad skills and a bit of frustration and bad luck. Watching me sew is like watcing homer simpson do somethig..lots of swearing and yelling lol!
Sorry simon i got impatient on the fabric. That said im tempted to make a 1person tent at some point so..

Yeah don't worry the swearing subsides over time, or at least is directed at other things.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby perfectlydark » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 9:59 am

Haha hopeso :) i lost count of the number of times i had to rethread the machine due to snapped thread, to just tangling up, or that i didnt thread it properly after 50 times and it jammed again etc lol.
Anyway im going to look into hand sewing the tieouts on stronger. Machine just couldnt penetrate 2 layers of grosgain and a few layers.of the sil
perfectlydark

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 10:05 am

I had the same trouble here until I fitted the walking foot to my machine, but even my crappy little machine will happily sew 6 layers of denim or 4 layers of cotton / poly canvas so I'd look to having your machine serviced and replace the needles with a more appropriate size and shape
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 8:20 pm

It was a cheap machine as is and bought second hand. Better off with a better model i reckon. No projects.in the immediate.future a least although still need to make that hammock net and underquilt. And tent im considering..
perfectlydark

Postby andrewa » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 9:45 pm

At least you don't have to deal with a cat skidding around on your fabric ( well, skidding is OK - it's when she abruptly stops that I have the problem!).

Well done. Any project is a good project.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 04 Aug, 2015 8:07 am

Haha thats true. Does a 3yo toddler count though ;)
Cheers. Yes agreed anything finished is good. Im only using it myself so not too fussed with minor cosmetics anyway
perfectlydark

Return to Make Your Own Gear