MYO 1 Person Tent (ADVICE NEEDED)

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Re: MYO 1 Person Tent (ADVICE NEEDED)

Postby simonm » Wed 19 Aug, 2015 7:14 pm

north-north-west wrote:
DanShell wrote:Travis I built it myself. Metal work is more my thing as well. My trade is in the automotive industry although I no longer use my trade to make a living. I'm always fabricating things, usually only for family though, although some friends get a run. Last weekend I fabricated a fold up roof system for a 1916 T model Ford of my fathers for instance!

Where were you when I wanted a canopy for the Hilux's tray? Oh well, it would have been a wasted effort anyway. But now I think about it, wonder if your skills would reach to making a roof rack and pod for the CR-V . . .

It's started now :D . I need some mods done to the rack/cage on the back of my Defender 130.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Travis22 » Wed 19 Aug, 2015 7:52 pm

Canopy NNW, i think Dan could have built you an entire vehicle ;)

Here's the canopy i made up for my ute, im pretty sure it would have saved your hilux tho then again it so stupidly heavy and overbuilt that it might have made your hilux lay down for a rest even sooner haha.

I made up all the frame all 3mm thick RHS/SHS and the 2mm thick hot dipped gal roof, then had the canvas skirts made with ripstop dynaproof canvas. (Canvas pulls up perfect (unzipped in this pic)

Travis.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 17242 times
image.jpg
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 9:45 am

Travis22 wrote:Canopy NNW, i think Dan could have built you an entire vehicle ;)

If someone hadn't nicked the wreck I should have kept it and had him rebuild the body. With canopy, of course.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby DanShell » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:05 am

haha roof racks and pods are not something id attempt for a CR-V but modding a defender sounds like it has some character :P

The canopy is definitely well built Travis, Im sure the 40 would carry it fine though. Im more of a Patrol man myself :wink:

DSC02547.jpg
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 5:25 pm

I don't really need a whole roof rack. Have the crossbars (though they're slightly bowed) from the Hilux, but the mounts & clamps aren't completely intact and wouldn't fit. Just need new legs with mounting points to suit the bolt holes on the CR-V. It wouldn't be that hard if you know what you're doing . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 9:10 am

north-north-west wrote:I don't really need a whole roof rack. Have the crossbars (though they're slightly bowed) from the Hilux, but the mounts & clamps aren't completely intact and wouldn't fit. Just need new legs with mounting points to suit the bolt holes on the CR-V. It wouldn't be that hard if you know what you're doing . . .

I know what you mean, well anythings possible. Perhaps I can have a look when your up this way and I am free :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 5:16 pm

'Free' is a lovely sounding word . . . but I would compensate you for your efforts. As long as your missus doesn't mind. :wink:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 6:55 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Anyone tried tyvek as a tent material?

Yep. More tarp though as it is cheap. I have not seen any in the past year, as silnylon got cheaper

wayno wrote:have you considered going to a midden design? will be better in the wind and have more room in it.

I think mid is short for pyramid. not rubbish heap. :p But I agree, it would be stronger at the cost of more weight.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 1:54 am

north-north-west wrote:'Free' is a lovely sounding word . . . but I would compensate you for your efforts. As long as your missus doesn't mind. :wink:

Hahaha you crack me up. She's gunna mind if she reads that ;)

Yes free as in no charge and free as in, available!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 11:28 am

Dragging up an old topic here but no I still haven't finished the first tent. In fact I have started to drastically change it. It was too high for my liking and I wasn't happy with the way I did the seems but I will finish it off one day this year.....

However we had a few rainy days recently so I built another tent out of some silnylon I bought on these forums cheap. I won't bore you with too many images of plans etc but its a bit of a spin off of the TT Protrail. Its far from finished yet but so far I am happy with how I did these seems (well I wasn't happy with the ridgeline but I fixed that by putting some tape along it!).
It is a single wall and uses a 2200x700 oooktub http://oookworks.com/oooktubs.html for the floor that attaches to the outer with mesh (which I haven't done yet)

Yes I agree the colour is way to loud for my liking but I had the material so I went with it. You can see the tent on our balcony from the next town ;)

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Ill add some better pics when its finished (when we get some rainy days on a weekend). And it weighs less than 500g complete with floor and mesh.

EDIT: You will need to lay down to see the pics....I didn't know what happened there.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 11:54 am

Nice work Dan............was that the Aurora we could see down south or was it just your tent relecting of the clouds...... :wink:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 12:18 pm

neilmny wrote:Nice work Dan............was that the Aurora we could see down south or was it just your tent relecting of the clouds...... :wink:

It is so bright our lounge room is a nice tinge of orange due to its reflection through the window.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi Dan,
I see you are getting ready for a Mars expedition having built a stealth shelter for it...

A few years ago Henry Shires at Tarptent made some prototypes in lurid red silnylon.
I must have made some sarcastic comments on that because after the first lot he sent me photos in black and white.
The tents were still glowing even in B&W...
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Tue 02 Feb, 2016 9:34 am

I am trying to find a positive from having such a bright fabric, Um it will make a chopper crew find it easier if I ever need to put something out for them to see.............(probably after it blows down during a blizzard and I am left frozen and in need of rescue) :shock:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 02 Feb, 2016 11:34 am

DanShell wrote:I am trying to find a positive from having such a bright fabric, Um it will make a chopper crew find it easier if I ever need to put something out for them to see.............(probably after it blows down during a blizzard and I am left frozen and in need of rescue) :shock:

Hey Dan, don't worry about our smartarzzzed comments.
I actually like it an if you ever need to be spotted you wont have much trouble doing it.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 8:13 am

I like the colour! Happy to take it off your hands if it's blinding you :D
Drew

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 8:23 am

Make another unit in "Stealth" for when you DON'T want to be found then
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sams » Sat 26 Mar, 2016 11:16 pm

DanShell wrote:Just as a side note, if anyone wants plans for mids and or tents in general just give me a yell. I use 3D studio Max and Auto Cad for my 3d design (I used to do it semi professionally once upon a time) so anything from basic tent plans to complex race circuits for computer games can be made. Tent plans are free, fast and easy. Cars and racing circuits are several grand ;)

But seriously if I can help out with your basic projects I am happy to do so. I can convert things to google sketch up if you want to use that as well, as its a free program. Heres some plans a gentleman gave me in sketchup format, theres something for everyone in there ;)

I know I'm late but I'm giving you a yell, DanShell. That Sketchup file would be incredibly useful - any chance I could get my hands on it?
sams
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby DanShell » Sun 27 Mar, 2016 5:46 pm

sams wrote:
I know I'm late but I'm giving you a yell, DanShell. That Sketchup file would be incredibly useful - any chance I could get my hands on it?

Yeh sure PM me you email address and Ill send it
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Make Your Own Gear