Climashield Apex top quilt

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Climashield Apex top quilt

Postby simonm » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 7:20 am

One of my mates requested a synthetic top quilt for hammock and ground camping, which gave me the impetus to finally make this prototype quilt which I have been planning to make for some time. The fabric is Argon67, insulation is two layers of Climashield Apex 2.5oz. It has a zippered footbox, with both the foot and end end able to be cinched closed. Final weight is less than 500grams, and temp rating should be close to +2 deg Celsius. I will be making these available via Tier Gear soon for those that do not wish to make their own, though it is a relatively simple DIY project.
Attachments
Top quilt climashield 016_640x427.JPG
Top quilt climashield 016_640x427.JPG (97.49 KiB) Viewed 33019 times
Top quilt climashield 015_640x427.JPG
Top quilt climashield 015_640x427.JPG (114.01 KiB) Viewed 33019 times
Top quilt climashield 017_640x427.JPG
Top quilt climashield 017_640x427.JPG (116.55 KiB) Viewed 33019 times
Top quilt climashield 012_640x427.JPG
Top quilt climashield 012_640x427.JPG (60.47 KiB) Viewed 33019 times
Top quilt climashield 014_640x427.JPG
Top quilt climashield 014_640x427.JPG (106.7 KiB) Viewed 33019 times
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Re: Climashield Apex top quilt

Postby DanShell » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 9:09 am

What do you estimate the weight/temp rating to be for 3 layers and 4 layers?
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 9:27 am

Hey Dan,
3 Layers might be around -7 depending on individual variability. 4 layers would be quite bulky but should get you below -10.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 9:29 am

simonm wrote:Hey Dan,
3 Layers might be around -7 depending on individual variability. 4 layers would be quite bulky but should get you below -10.

What is the approx weight of one layer in that sized quilt?
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 9:37 am

I am just cutting out another quilt now so will measure everything and post the weights.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 9:45 am

simonm wrote:I am just cutting out another quilt now so will measure everything and post the weights.

Thanks. Ive always wanted a synthetic quilt but I didn't want the bulk or weight to go with it, so this looks good. I always new it was available of course and I almost bought an EE synthetic quilt once but with the $$ being so poor its not worth it.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 10:08 am

Ever considered selling these as DIY kits? Are there such out there?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby simonm » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 10:29 am

DanShell wrote:
simonm wrote:I am just cutting out another quilt now so will measure everything and post the weights.

Thanks. Ive always wanted a synthetic quilt but I didn't want the bulk or weight to go with it, so this looks good. I always new it was available of course and I almost bought an EE synthetic quilt once but with the $$ being so poor its not worth it.

The Argon67 fabric is 54g x 2 layers so 108g total and the climashield is 204g for one layer. That is with a straight taper at 198cm long, 134cm wide at the head and 104cm wide at the foot end - that's raw, prior to sewing. Obviously need to add zipper and other accessories.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 10:30 am

GPSGuided wrote:Ever considered selling these as DIY kits? Are there such out there?

I do sell the raw materials but are you suggesting a pre-cut kit?
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 10:45 am

Yes, I was just thinking of those Dick Smith electronics kits of old and a current subject comparison. If there's a DIY crowd out there, curious if this could be a significant market? Or maybe still too hard for most. The potential advantage would be convenience and easy customisation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 10:46 am

simonm wrote:
DanShell wrote:

The Argon67 fabric is 54g x 2 layers so 108g total and the climashield is 204g for one layer. That is with a straight taper at 198cm long, 134cm wide at the head and 104cm wide at the foot end - that's raw, prior to sewing. Obviously need to add zipper and other accessories.

Thanks so its easy enough to make a good synthetic quilt that should keep you warm around minus 5 and weigh less than 800g.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 8:09 pm

Apex is fantastic stuff.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 7:51 am

simonm wrote:..The Argon67 fabric is 54g x 2 layers so 108g total and the climashield is 204g for one layer. That is with a straight taper at 198cm long, 134cm wide at the head and 104cm wide at the foot end - that's raw, prior to sewing. Obviously need to add zipper and other accessories.

Great job as usual Simon and as you mentioned elsewhere they are an easy DIY if you can use a sewing machine.
Probably the only tricky bit is the cutting of the fabric..........do you have a particualr method that you use?
I've been laying both fabric pieces back to back then cutting around the shape I want with a small soldering iron over a lump of wood with a hard "laminex" face on it.
This serves 2 purposes, you cut the shape and "weld" the materials together making them easier keep matched up as you run through the sewing machine.

Was the zipper something your mate wanted or your own idea to make the quilt able to flatten out?
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby simonm » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 8:32 am

neilmny wrote:[

Great job as usual Simon and as you mentioned elsewhere they are an easy DIY if you can use a sewing machine.
Probably the only tricky bit is the cutting of the fabric..........do you have a particualr method that you use?
I've been laying both fabric pieces back to back then cutting around the shape I want with a small soldering iron over a lump of wood with a hard "laminex" face on it.
This serves 2 purposes, you cut the shape and "weld" the materials together making them easier keep matched up as you run through the sewing machine.

Was the zipper something your mate wanted or your own idea to make the quilt able to flatten out?

Hi Neil - that sounds like a good method. I will be purchasing a hot knife soon for cutting fabric but for this one I just layed it out, drew out the measurements and cut it with scissors. Welding the two layers together prevents you from adding the zipper and loops/buckles in between the layers.

With regards to the zipper it's certainly not a new idea, but we discussed a lot of options including velcro but I like the way the zipper works and looks, plus I had them on hand :D .

I am in the process of now making up the final quilt for my mate and I have learned a lot with these two quilts. The things I have learned are:
1. On my machine at least, I can sew the quilt with the Climashield on the bottom, and the two layers on top (with the out-sides facing each other), without fear of the Climashield getting caught in the feed-dogs of the sewing machine (like I have read previously). This saves a lot of prep time and makes it much easier to sew accurately.
2. Climashield can stretch quite a bit as you sew, and lots of pins makes this much more manageable. Pins are especially useful when sewing the zipper in, and for best results I used a lot of pins in order to get a result I was happy with on the zipper.
3. When sewing in the zipper I sewed it to one fabric layer plus Climashield first and then sewed the second fabric layer on. This makes it quite easy to manage.
4. With regards to the end draw cord channels, I now make up separate channels and sew them into the quilt. This gives a much cleaner look.
5. To finish the quilt I sew completely around 3 sides and along the 4th but leave a gap of about 300mm (in the middle of the 4th side) to turn the quilt inside out, before closing up the gap.

I will write up some new instructions for sewing a Climashield quilt, as my under quilt instructions are now a little obsolete.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 8:53 am

The welding is not an issue Simon as it is not that strong.
You can easily pull the "weld" apart to make an opening to turn inside out or after sewing slip the Climashield in. Getting the whole lump of Climashield in and spread out was an interesting process
which involved actually sticking my head and shoulders into the sewn up outer quilt.......best done in private to avoid derisive remarks :lol: :lol:
When pulled apart the edges are still "fused" and for a clumsy bugger like me that means they don't fray as I bumble my way along.

I haven't been brave enough to try the Climashield under on the feed dogs trick but I do like the idea of having the main fabric under with a narrow strip of fabric sewn over the top of the Climashield.

I really agree on the lots of pins, even on just the fabric they make keeping things in place a whole lot easier.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 9:23 am

Ok I see you are using a different method. Do you then sew the fabric along the side to hold the Climashield in place?

I mostly avoid pins but sometimes they are necessary.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 9:51 am

simonm wrote:Ok I see you are using a different method. Do you then sew the fabric along the side to hold the Climashield in place? ..........

No I make the Climashield oversize then put loose thread loops (to allow for loft) through it here and there to stop any slippage.
I can't remember where I got this idea but it works quite well and lets the Climashield loft right out to the edges.
I do sew a line, through all, diagonally across the corners about 150mm x 150mm in.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 10:50 am

Got it.

That method would also work, I assume, with the other synthetic like Primaloft which require quilting.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eljimberino » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 5:08 pm

Hello,

I'll be very interested if you can add a poncho option, wrap it in water resistant material and get the weight below 400g for a 5-10 degree quilt.

Thank you
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby simonm » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 5:58 pm

Eljimberino wrote:Hello,

I'll be very interested if you can add a poncho option, wrap it in water resistant material and get the weight below 400g for a 5-10 degree quilt.

Thank you

I already have a member on here who been pestering me for a long time for a poncho quilt. I will be working on it.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eljimberino » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 7:50 pm

Is there a approximate price?
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 10:44 pm

Very nice Simon, the buckles are a nice touch. Do you plan on having a pad attachment system?
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 4:52 am

Eljimberino wrote:Is there a approximate price?

For the poncho version? I won't really know until I make it. What would you think is a fair price?

undercling-mike wrote:Very nice Simon, the buckles are a nice touch. Do you plan on having a pad attachment system?

Hey Michael - I may do with the next one, though I will need to experiment with what works as I have never used a pad attachment system. That colour combo is moss green and charcoal grey in Argon67 - just so you know how they look together - may be an option for your quilts?? It looks reasonably sharp but subdued in real life.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 4:58 am

Some more details of the second quilt. I will do up some instructions to make it yourself when I get a chance, though things are a bit hectic at the moment.

Top quilt climashield 025_640x427.JPG
Top quilt climashield 025_640x427.JPG (63.81 KiB) Viewed 32712 times

Top quilt climashield 027_640x427.JPG
Top quilt climashield 027_640x427.JPG (60.82 KiB) Viewed 32712 times

Top quilt climashield 022_640x427.JPG
Top quilt climashield 022_640x427.JPG (57.38 KiB) Viewed 32712 times
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 6:40 am

Well the HPG Mountain Serape is about $300- AUD when exchange rate and postage is taken into account

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products ... fault.aspx
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby undercling-mike » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 12:05 am

simonm wrote:
Hey Michael - I may do with the next one, though I will need to experiment with what works as I have never used a pad attachment system. That colour combo is moss green and charcoal grey in Argon67 - just so you know how they look together - may be an option for your quilts?? It looks reasonably sharp but subdued in real life.

I'm using 20mm or 3/4" flat buckles designed for thin webbing or grosgrain on 20mm knit elastic for the straps. It seems to be quite effective and I've had good feedback. I personally only use the straps if it's going to be right on or the temperature rating of the quilt but others have described the strap system as critical to their use of the quilt.

The colour combo does look sharp, great for someone wanting a subdued, but not dark, look. I'd certainly be happy to make a quilt with those colours if a customer wanted one.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 5:24 am

Ok thanks mate, I will have a play around with a few ideas. I am using the 13mm centre release buckles at the head, foot and zipper as that is what I have but might get in some 20mm buckles as an alternative.

The charcoal grey is a nice substitute for black I think.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dagsands » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 8:26 pm

This looks great Simon! What size does this prototype pack down to? Just wondering about the compressibility of the Apex. Cheers
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate

Postby simonm » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 4:52 am

dagsands wrote:This looks great Simon! What size does this prototype pack down to? Just wondering about the compressibility of the Apex. Cheers

I will get back to you with a packed size.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 6:25 pm

dagsands wrote:This looks great Simon! What size does this prototype pack down to? Just wondering about the compressibility of the Apex. Cheers

I was able to get the quilt in a square bottom stuff sack which is 300mm long and 130mm at the base.

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Make Your Own Gear