Thinsulate from Spotlight??

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Thinsulate from Spotlight??

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 1:47 pm

Does anybody know which of the multitude of types of 3M Thinsulate is sold prepacked at Spotlight?
We got 2 packs during the last sale because they were simply too cheap to pass up
I'm guessing it is either type M or type KK and while Clo values are similar the quilting space is very different
Spotlight couldn't help and the email I was composing to 3M on their website got lost when I suffered a BSOD on the laptop
It is thin stuff either 60GSM or 80GSM and either way I'll need to use multiple layers but I thought I could make a better Arctic overbag than my last attempt, putting a pad sleeve in this one and a short zip
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Thinsulate from Spotlight??

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 9:07 am

Too light to be the Ultra or the Lite-Loft
Probably Type M and it is the 60GSM by measurement of a square metre of the stuff
Clo value then is 0.8
At the moment I am thinking of making it up like some of the old style REI winter bags, quilting the inner and outer layers between UL scrim and putting a sandwich of 85GSM APEX in between. I have some 26GSM EPIC fabric here for the seamless out shell, I'd just need some UL fabric such as Argon for the inner layer and I'll order that fabric from Simon at Tier Gear as soon as I've finalised the design in my head
The last overbag wasn't all that successful as the insulation under the bag is wasted and this time I'll make that Gerry/Big Agnes style with a sleeping pad pocket in the bottom
It will be heavier but much warmer and weight isn't such an issue for deep winter camping anyway
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 9:39 am

Here's a question for all those who have used the APEX.
I've bought 4 different small lots from Tier Gear and all are inconsistent in the amount of fibre in the lay, I talked to Simon about this and it seems to be inherent in the manufacture of this lightest weight of insulation. Does anybody here actually notice any cold spots because of this?
For those who have used the heavier 122GSM is it more consistent? Would the extra cost and weight of the thicker insulation be a worthwhile investment for this new overbag or would the sandwich be more than adequate or should I just get the 85GSM and hand tack some extra over the sparse fill areas? I have thought about 2 layers of the 85 also but perhaps that is simply going to be too warm and heavy enough to compress any LW down bag inside it?
Feedback and suggestions very welcome here because as soon as the weather clears up I have some major sewing projects to get done
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 12:38 pm

The variance in thickness is certainly most noticeable in the lighter weight Climashield. There are times when it is so bad that I don't send it out, and cut another piece that is more uniform. We have just got in a heap more Climashield so if your piece is unworkable I can look at replacing it. Can you email me a photo?
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 8:41 pm

No it's workable Simon
But for this next project I want it more uniform if at all possible and I'm willing to go the the 122 if I have to
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear