Custom Camera Bag: Update

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Custom Camera Bag: Update

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 2:27 pm

A while ago I decided I would carry my DSLR around my neck whenever I bushwalked. But my Canon EOS 6D with lens weighs around 1.4kg, and at the end of a long day, even with my carry case setup pictured here

NeoBag11.jpg
The original bag.
NeoBag11.jpg (79.46 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
and explained further here http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4677&p=55383&hilit=camera+bag#p55317 I ended up with a sore neck. A lot of the weight was still being carried by my neck.

With a 7 week European trip coming up, we started looking for ways to take some of the weight off my neck. The solution was to sew an extra strap onto each of the shoulder pads of my day pack. These were then attached via simple click clips to some extra straps sewn onto the original carry bag. Hopefully these pix show it okay, but essentially it means that the weight of the camera is now carried by the shoulder pads rather than my neck.

Camera Strap.jpg
Camera Bag now attached to the day pack

Closer.jpg
Additional straps close-up
Closer.jpg (311.18 KiB) Viewed 4610 times

It worked a treat, so much so that, with the camera always at the ready, I took nearly 2,000 photos in Spain, Portugal and France. Now all I have to do is avoid a sore neck while I edit them all! Big thanks to my travel mate and resident seamstress Lynne,

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Custom Camera Bag: Update

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 2:54 pm

Smart and easy Quite like the idea, even a LW camera weighs heavy after a while as do binoculars
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Make Your Own Gear