Reproofing an old fly

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Reproofing an old fly

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 17 Feb, 2017 7:17 am

Sambar 358 just sent me and old Fairydown tent because he knows I like to tinker and this old Attack fly had gone all sticky and leaks like a sieve.
I used my usual cleaning recipe of 1 cup of cloudy ammonia and a 1/4 cup of Bi-Carb in a sink of warm water and while ig got most of the dirt and old flaking polyurethane of there are some really stubborn crumbs of hard proofing left in many places
I'm going to wash it again but I'm wondering if adding a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid would help?
It is a small fly so a single tube of roofing silicon in 3 litres of turpentine should do the couple of coats needed
I'll post pictures when I get started on the re-coating of couse
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Reproofing an old fly

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 1:21 pm

OK I washed it again with the squirt of DW liquid and no difference to this tent.
I just let it dry on the frame inside out and I have treated it with a very dilute silicon mix. I had a half tube left-over from a sealing job on the roof so ~150g in a 50/50 mix of Shellite and mineral turps.200 ml of which gave the first coat on the inside; when it is dry in an hour I will reverse it and give it a coat on the outside and I'll leave it up to fully cure over the next couple of days.
I'll cover it with an old cotton bed sheet and a plastic tarp tho to deter the local feral cats from climbing on and over it
Sorry no pictures, I can't find the chip for the camera or the USB dongle that it is probable inserted into
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Reproofing an old fly

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 22 Feb, 2017 1:03 pm

I only used 2 coats as the inner tent has some mildew and we'll maybe only get another season out of it.
but with a coat inside and then turned around after an hour it sheds water well after the 24 hour cure.
Very tempted to give the inner a coat as well to half way up the walls as the bathtub floor isn't as tall as I like for snow camping, going to sew on a valance too and I have to work out a way of getting the the down points attached to the poles
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear