Trekking pole as tent pole warning

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Trekking pole as tent pole warning

Postby Bill P » Thu 02 Mar, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi everyone, I have a new lightweight tent which uses a trekking pole for its tent pole. I left the tent with a normally inflated Klymit mat and pillow whilst I went out on a day walk. I returned to find both had overinflated and punctured.
I had fished out the trekking pole and used it on the day walk, collapsing the tent.
The internal tent temp had increased enough during the ~20c day to blow out my mat and pillow!
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Trekking pole as tent pole warning

Postby whitefang » Thu 02 Mar, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm not entirely surprised by this. I feel like I recall manufacturers recommending against leaving mats and pillows inflated during the day when not in use.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby andrewa » Thu 02 Mar, 2017 7:06 pm

Yes, it's one if those "awkward moments" when you have gone off on a day walk, and realise that you've left you airmat etc inflated in the tent on a warm day. Never had a problem, but aware of the issues.

Interestingly, my main mental link to this is through packrafting. Alpacka have always suggested that an inflated raft be put in the river for a while before rafting, as the cold water will reduce the pressure in the raft, and it will need more inflating before paddling. The opposite obviously applies.

A
Last edited by andrewa on Fri 03 Mar, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Franco » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 7:17 am

I think the warning does apply to all tents and particularly so if you leave the tent open and the sun directly hits the mat.
On the converse, if you inflate the mat with warm air it will deflate once it cools down.

BTW, two points that can be negative or positive with trekking pole supported tents when left without poles for the day are (in my mind..)
1) it is obvious that you are not there (for thieves) but at the same time harder to spot.
2) much easier for the rain to wet the inside but less likely to be damaged by strong winds provided some ballast was put over the fabric (smooth rock/smooth log)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:02 am

The effect is obviously not just the max temperature but the temperature change encountered by the inflated mat. So ~20 deg C is no security if the mat was inflated for sleeping at near zero overnight, obviously worse if cooked by direct sunlight.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 4:18 pm

I got the pole set with the Protrail and take them anyway ~160g. Usually I would get to the spot, next day is recovery and a look around using my sticks. No mat disasters yet but I've noticed the inflation differences.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 5:43 pm

Good warning. If they broke at the outside seams you may be able to reactivate the glue with a med/hot iron and seal again Bill?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Bill P » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 8:39 am

Yes Nuts, the failures are on the seam where the valve assembly is inserted. I have rubbed it up with a hot iron and is seems to have resealed. I need to test it under a bit of load though!

If i didnt collapse the tent then i think the increased air volume and ventilation would have/ should have prevented it getting so hot to cause this problem.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear