Another winter project A very warm poncho

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Another winter project A very warm poncho

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 9:36 pm

A while ago; quite a while ago I bought one of those German Army snow camouflage ponchos, back when I was assembling a complete winter warriors kit.

A few days ago I hot washed ad ironed it and I am going to waterproof it with diluted silicon.
Last year I got very cold sitting around the small smoky campfire yarning with people because I didn't want to wear my fragile nylon parka around the fire.
The cotton is spark resistant but not very wind resistant.
Silicon proofing will fix that without decreasing the fire resistance.
But it won't be warm
So taking the Op-Shop quilt I bought for $6- and cutting it down to fit the rectangle of the poncho I ge enough spare for a big hood plus enough for a small pillow
Took about 20 minutes hand stitching the hood on and I think hand stitching will be strong enough.
Cecile thinks I should sew the insulation onto the parka shell and she may be right so it will probably be lined with some ripstop nylon we have here somewhere
The quilt/doona is from Tontine and they rate it as a 2 blanket quilt and it is 100GSM but somewhat denser than APEX.
Not a backpackable garment for long trips but would make a decent nights sleep easier if used as an over quilt
Attachments
IMG_9742.JPG
Me sweating in the Tontine quilt
IMG_9742.JPG (141.22 KiB) Viewed 17810 times
IMG_9743.JPG
25mm of loft
IMG_9743.JPG (98.67 KiB) Viewed 17810 times
IMG_9744.JPG
German army poncho over the quilt
IMG_9744.JPG (140.28 KiB) Viewed 17810 times
IMG_9745.JPG
Me showing the arm length and still sweating
IMG_9745.JPG (132.26 KiB) Viewed 17810 times
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Another winter project A very warm poncho

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 9:47 pm

So I have something similar to a Kifaru Woobie for $30 and fire resistant as well
Using diluted silicon to waterproof it will add about 100 grams and it weighs 1500 grams at the moment
I'll have a think about a draw cord for the back hem or whether to replace the original sleeve hole elastic as it was or add snaps or SR buckles there
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 9:59 am

In keeping with the winter camouflage theme does anybody have any light weight winter neutral camouflage fabric for sale?
Oz-Cam winter is Unobtanium
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 4:56 pm

MD I like your style. I had a coarse wool poncho made in Nepal from my hippy-esq youth. It was great to throw over jumper or coat and all when its extra cold. It was a rectangle with a hood but not as wide as this so you might be able to trim yours down for the same effect. With arm extended it would finish at the elbow and still gave good side coverage. Different material though so may hang differently.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 5:33 pm

Not trimming it down because it is about right as-is for an over-blanket or too help somebody out in an emergency.
It will be a bit different when the waist tie cords are fastened
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 7:38 am

I just found this on eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351776268050 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I'm tempted but a bit short of cash just now; anybody want to share>?? Works out to $4.66 a metre
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 9:14 pm

Some small progress made on this today because there was nothing worth watching on television and Cecile did the dishes
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sailfish » Wed 10 May, 2017 2:01 pm

Wow, that looks comfy!

Some years ago, I figured you can bring the sides of the poncho/blanket into the middle so the edges run either side of the neck hole, then just put a belt on to keep it closed under the arms. This makes a very very warm double layer tabard. I like to use a light weight quilt to extend a 3 season bag into winter temps. It means I can use the blanket for warmth around camp to extend 3 season clothing as well. I find I don't need so much bulk on the arms so the tabard idea works OK and is much closer fitting and therefore more thermally efficient than a poncho or cloak. However I have been thinking of turning that insulated blanket into under-alls to further reduce surface area and therefore weight.

If you don't want to cut a head slit and zipper in the middle of a perfectly good blanket:
There are several ways you can wear a blanket as a cloak including a hood. One of these has 2 layers across the shoulders and upper back. The 2nd layer can be used as a hood. Google it, lots of alternatives to consider.

Personally I find hoods annoying and just use a beanie and buff. For sleeping, I pull the blanket over my head or if a sleeping bag only, turn it over so the open hood covers my head. Then again, I live in a cool climate so tend to get acclimatized by the end of the season.

Ken
Last edited by sailfish on Wed 10 May, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 10 May, 2017 2:20 pm

It is stupidly warm. Too warm really and bulky and heavy but it was a fun project and if Cecile comes camping with me she can use it because she really feels the cold.
I sometimes use a poncho liner in the manner you describe now that I own one or two anc could cut a slit in one of them
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sailfish » Wed 10 May, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi Moondog, I edited above for clarity. Sure, I can see your poncho is extremely warm as it is. The blanket I use is a thin synthetic army ponncho liner. Not particularly weight efficient at 750g or so. I only added the comments to further explore possibilities along the line of dual use ultra light warmth.

Regards,
Ken
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 10 May, 2017 3:01 pm

I see that the US Army is now issueing a hooded poncho liner as well as the LW blanket, the ida of the warm multi-use layers has reached the most conservative group of people on the planet, if only thet could catch-up with modern technology so we coul get good surplus cheap. On the matter of using atropical balket as clothing the surplus stuff is cheap and reasonably good, Arctic trouser liner and field-coat liners at $$20- US a set
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sailfish » Wed 10 May, 2017 4:49 pm

Defense forces are understandably more interested in durability and fire resistance for cost in battlefield conditions than being ultra light. This is probably the main reason their gear is generally heavier than hiking gear. I don't think we will ever see what we would consider "good surplus cheap". However some disposal gear can be a handy way to supplement or experiment. Being into fly fishing, I like to blend with the environment more than bushwalkers do. Most hiking gear is not available in the colours and patterns I'd prefer, all things are a compromise.

Ken
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:57 pm

Seeing as how my winter is on hold until my hip replacement and liking your warm tabard idea I just got a cot sized pack of Thinsulate Mid-loft [$13- plus post but worth that IMO] and I may try and persuade The Boss to make something LW for her use, Epic shell with Thinsulate and a simple hood
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear