Using ThermalPro as a midlayer?

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Using ThermalPro as a midlayer?

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 01 May, 2017 10:31 am

I have the fabric here but I've found no specific guidelines on using it.
Is there any advantage to lining it with mesh to help it slide over other layers or do people normally use a slick windshirt over the prime layer in very cold weather?
Wanting to make 3/4 pants to cover to the top of the ski boots/mukluks and a long line pull-over with hood
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Using ThermalPro as a midlayer?

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 9:47 pm

My Google-Fu is failing me; does anybody know which side of the ThermalPro is the inside? If so how do you tell?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 11:53 am

I've never used the stuff, but my google-fu says the fuzzier layer is on the inside.

Not sure about the mesh idea either. Sometimes fleece does kind of "stick". I wear a 100 weight fleece shirt pretty much every day and when I put it on in the morning I have to tug on it in various ways to get it right. And that's just over top of a t-shirt. Part of getting dressed. My underpants usually need some adjustment too.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 4:55 pm

Trouble is that both sides are "fuzzy" ; I haven't had a chance to drive down the coast and check Patagonias Torquay store to see which way they use if even though they make the R3 as a reversible garment it has pockets on one side which I assume is the outside.
It is probably the shorter nap as that feels stiffer and that usuallly means thicker and water will appparently migrate from thicker to thinner more easily than in the other direction.
I have decided to use a sewn on shell in a similar fashion to the Buffalo line of cold weather shirts and wear it against the skin or at most a really thin base layer like the new Patagonia "Everyday" the old R-0.5
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear