Paris plastic pulling pulk

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Paris plastic pulling pulk

Postby paddlpop » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 10:01 pm

Picked up a Paris plastic toboggan from Moondog last week with the aim to put together a working pulk for an upcoming main range adventure with 3 others, 2 of whom also intend to haul pulks. It seems like a no brainer when hiking in to Blue Lake from Thredbo top station and setting up a basecamp for 4 nights.
Biggest problem seems to finding 2m long 12mm solid fibreglass rods for the towing arms. Given the urgency to have this thing operational I decided to use some 11mm tent pole sections. This meant joining 3 sections together. Since the poles had a hole through which elastic was orinally threaded I epoxied in metal rods and then over sleeved the joins using the metal sleeves that id removed earlier.
The sled attachment point is steel as I dont have a TIG setup for aluminum. Using steel meant I could weld lugs and tie-down points too.
Anyway...a picture tells a 1000 words....
Attachments
20170731_224111.jpg
20170730_215812.jpg
Hip attachment point before welding
20170801_233350.jpg
20170803_073526.jpg
Ready to go...
paddlpop
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Paris plastic pulling pulk

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 7:39 am

Try to get some sort of shoulder straps going if you can, they stop the belt from slipping down all the time, as you are using a Canadian type belt any of the army "H" harness suspenders should work
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Paris plastic pulling pulk

Postby Franco » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:48 am

When a mate and I put together something similar , we used climbing rope inside plastic (1" ?) orange pipes .
We tried to avoid using metal bits as much as we could. It was meant to work down to -50c and it did.

BTW, if using it on steepish ground , make sure that you have a quick release system because it looks a bit tippy to me. (high sides)
The one we built used a single large buckle on the harness (waist belt) to do that.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear