Sewing Machine to MYOG ?

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Sewing Machine to MYOG ?

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 7:30 pm

I've been considering making and repairing some of my own gear for a long time, but I really have no idea where to start. Is there some particular models of sewing machine for example I should look out for ? I see a Singer 201 on gumtree cheap for example, but how do I know whether it will stitch canvas ?

I would think I only need to do simple stitching, but is there anything I need to look for or avoid in a machine ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Sewing Machine to MYOG ?

Postby simonm » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 6:11 am

A 201 is a great machine for MYOG and should sew canvas ok. A straight stitch is all you need for most things.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tiergear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby Bill P » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:12 pm

I use a 1950's Singer that was my mothers. It only does a straight stitch - forward and reverse. I would like to be able to do a sideways stitch for buttonholes and bar tacks .
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 9:23 pm

I've got a Janome SR2100 that I bought with money given to me for my 21st birthday, 34 yrs ago. Still going strong. You can sew most things, inc canvas, multiple webbing layers etc if using bigger gauge needles (eg 18 with leather cutting point). I can't sew leather with very heavy gauge thread - the machine just doesn't pull the bottom thread up into the stitch hole, even on maximum top tension. It sews fine with thinner thread though. I reckon an older second hand machine would be fine, esp as mines still going so well after 34 years, and 1 service!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 10:38 am

My Janome MyExcell is a wonderful machine when used within its limits but if set-up for LW fabric it won't sew canvas and other HD fabrics and if set-up for those it won't sew the LW and UL stuff.If you can afford it I would suggest an older machine and serviced to use HD thread etc and a LW modern machine for the other stuff
I still haven't had my S/H machine serviced but the machine only cost $5- and the full service will cost me close to $200-. after which it should sew canvas and other stuff well
Most of the problem is the rise; the amount of clearance under the foot, to get plenty of clearance and strength my old machine needs to have the shaft shortened and the pulley ratio changed slightly
A standard service is $120 to $150- by comparison
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Make Your Own Gear