Pullover vest query

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Pullover vest query

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 21 Sep, 2017 9:29 am

Going through all my gear and I don't own an insulated vest.
Several fleece and piles vests but no insulated ones.
As a down vest is most probably the best bang for weight carried it is about time I made one
Just to make sure I do it right does anybody have an idea of how many grams of down I should need to get 120mm of loft in an XXL long line vest in case I need to order some more.
I have 45 grams of 800FP here and about 60 grams of 550FP but I would prefer to use the better down
This may or may not be the hybrid vest i have talked about in the past and it may or may not get baffles depending on my patience and budget
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Pullover vest query

Postby Mark F » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 10:53 am

To get a base value for the amount of down consider the finished vest to be a square with an area of the height from collar to bottom hem and width equal to your chest measurement + 5-10cm. This should get you pretty close to the actual and most likely a little over. I expect a value of 1 sq.m. or a bit more for your xxl size. Do the normal calcs to get the volume and then add the required overstuff.

120mm of loft is massive for a vest if this is the single layer thickness you are planning for rather than two layers of 60mm. It would require a box wall design and most likely differential cut to achieve this value - even 60mm of loft would be better with a box wall.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 12:25 pm

120mm of Loft but thinking about it this will be too much and 80 to 90 will work better for layering. Money is really tight for fripperies at the moment so I am rethinking on a much lighter stitched through vest using what down I have which is 90grams; I found another bag of 859FP in Ceciles stash
This may be a little light for a deep winter North America trip tho although I really don't know, 20mm baffles would be a lot warmer if this is a reasonable amount of down. Just a thought here, I think the Nunatak site gives fill weights for the vest they make.
I'll do some Gooleing and come back
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 12:36 pm

Hmmm Nunatak use 5 ounce for an XL vest [ 3.5 for a Medium] that's 140 grams near enough so 90g probably isn't going to benefit from baffles.
Perhaps my old idea of using an outer layer of LiteLoft or Vilene then?
That would be an additional 6mm/4mm of insulation and it would cover the stitching lines and give extra warmth that way.
I used to own an old REI down puffy vest that was about 6 inches thick, very warm and very heavy, loaned it to my mum for a trip to Centralia and she left it behind in a caravan park, reminds me she never did pay me back for it, that was overkill and too much for my future needs
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 28 Sep, 2017 5:30 pm

Because I am thinking about this vest as an extra for my Arctic Alaskan trip where UL may not be appropriate I am thinking of copying the 1980s Mountain Design cold weather vest. Making it with uninsulated sleeves and hood in HD 2 ounce ripstop
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 9:52 am

I'm not thinking very clearly at the moment. A sleeved and hooded vest with down insulation is a good idea but not for active insulation, even if not sweating heavily it would get damp from perspiration.
So if I do this as a sort on extra large windshirt I'll use a thin layer of synthetic for the torso and match the zipper to the Patagonia Ninja top I'll probably be wearing as my primary warm layer. I guess then that this means a standard LW down vest with LW fabrics is the obvious warm addition and I may not need it if I make the torso layer warm enough
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 10:28 am

Moondog55 wrote:A sleeved and hooded vest ...

Isn't that a jacket or pullover?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 11:42 am

north-north-west wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:A sleeved and hooded vest ...

Isn't that a jacket or pullover?

I guess but with insulation only in the torso how else to describe it?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear