MYOG Tent like the Marmot Catalyst ?

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

MYOG Tent like the Marmot Catalyst ?

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 9:55 pm

I've been thinking about making some of my own gear for a very long time, and I've been offered a free 1-person tent inner so I'm going to try and make a new fly for it as a first project. The idea is to make a new fly using cheap straight aluminium poles in 2-person size, so it becomes a 1 person tent with a huge vestibule, perfect for winter solo camping ! Currently I have a big heavy 2P/4Season or an ultraight 1P/3Season so I'm aiming to make an oversized 1 Person, 3-4 Season tent.

279106653.jpg

Marmot Catalyst 2P is the best example I can find of a modern tent with a crossover straight pole so it's the closest thing I can work from. The third pole keeps the vestibule roof out, simple and effective.

WE04405.jpg
WE04405.jpg (33.31 KiB) Viewed 10755 times

Wilderness Equipment Ace has an interesting flattened top which doesn't seem smart but might also be a good way to keep it low to the ground and keep the vestibule high. Looks like they might use hubbed poles.

If I use internal pole sleeves and clips similar to the Macpac Olympus it also becomes integral pitch, which I've always found great for setting up in bad weather. By using clip in pole ends it will be self supporting like the MSR Hubba. Lastly I can add a few extra guy points along the seams, something the Hubba really lacks.

So while I research fabrics and find the clips etc, has anyone got any advice or criticism of my plans ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: MYOG Tent like the Marmot Catalyst ?

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 10:14 pm

Have a look at the Eureka combat tent too In that the eyebrow pole goes all the way down to the ground at the rear corners; much stronger.
WE dropped the Ace model very quickly which may [ or may not] indicate a problem with that design
See Roger Caffins DIY pages on tent design
https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites ... CTents.htm
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 11:44 pm

That's a good design, heavy tents though !

I've just discovered black diamond alpine single skin tents, something like the hilight2 with vestibule is close too.
https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamo ... eason-tent
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:07 pm

I've worked out how to make it up in sketchup, which gives me measurements along every edge for the pieces I already have. It seems reasonably simple like this, assuming I measure carefully and allow for seams etc.

tent_idea_01.jpg

The available poles are 3600mm long so that determines the size of everything else really, based on a footprint slightly longer than a hubba. It's not going to be ultralight but it should be closer to the weight of a 1person than a 2person. Three poles may only weigh 650 gms which seems great for such a sturdy design.

I'm sure I'm going to discover very quickly that is a lot harder than it looks, but any advice ? I think I've ready every myog tent story I can find already, but most deal with tarps or flat faced designs.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear