Compass dampener liquid refill?

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Compass dampener liquid refill?

Postby Bill P » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 8:01 pm

My favourite Silva Type 7 NL has finally lost its juice after 40 years good service. :( Needle still points north but spins madly and incessantly like a liberal prime minister. Can anyone recommend a suitable household liquid that i can refill it with please? I dont want to buy anything specifically - wondering if anyone has used water or shellite or sewing machine oil . Any ideas..?
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Compass dampener liquid refill?

Postby tastrax » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 8:10 am

From this page (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass) it would seem any of these things would be suitable

.....lamp oil, mineral oil, white spirits, purified kerosene, or ethyl alcohol are common

White spirits/turps is pretty common in supermarkets - you may even have some in the shed!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Sat 16 Mar, 2019 9:50 am

Good on you for making the effort to keep a $10 compass from ending up in the rubbish heap.

I spent a couple of weeks reverse engineering a toaster that had gone wonky with it's microprocessor control. I carefully sketched out a schematic, looked up the what the various chips were, and had even written some of the code for the Atmel processor I was going to use to run the thing. I had it all figured out. Then I ran a little test and connected wire A to wire B when it should have been obvious from my home made schematic that I really shouldn't have done that. Pop! Poof! Smoke. Goodbye. Now I have a new toaster that cost $25 and the old one is adding to the giant pile of industrial debris. Oh well.

I don't really know what fluid is in a cheap hand held compass. It doesn't appear to be very viscous though. The thing I would wonder about is why the fluid is gone in yours. Presumably there is a leak you need to deal with.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby michael_p » Sat 16 Mar, 2019 10:08 am

Orion wrote:Pop! Poof! Smoke. Goodbye.

The magic smoke is impossible to get back in once it escapes. :(
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bill P » Sat 16 Mar, 2019 8:10 pm

Orion wrote:Good on you for making the effort to keep a $10 compass from ending up in the rubbish heap

Thanks Orion i always try to repair things too. Hey --I didnt pay $10 for this compass though. I found it on a beach in 1985.

Thanks tastrax- lamp oil sounds good but i dont have any. i think ill use kero - the blue colour should look cool.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 1:23 am

michael_p wrote:
Orion wrote:Pop! Poof! Smoke. Goodbye.

The magic smoke is impossible to get back in once it escapes. :(

I actually could have resurrected it. At least a couple of parts had been damaged and one whole trace had vaporized. But I could have replaced those parts and bypassed the missing circuit board trace. It would have been possible to do. But my heart was no longer in it.

Bill P wrote:Hey --I didnt pay $10 for this compass though. I found it on a beach in 1985.

Too funny!
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby rcaffin » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 9:58 am

You will need a very light liquid. I tried using the lightest of oils, but the needle moved afar too slowly. Kero? Maybe. But it might evaporate away.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear