Pillow talk

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Re: Pillow talk

Postby doogs » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 2:19 pm

I have two young children at home, on my last overnighter I used my backpack for a pillow and slept for 13 hours straight through! :D
Usually I just wrap any spare clothing up in fleece and drink a cup of warm cocoa before bed :wink:
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby frenchy_84 » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 2:52 pm

i dont carry a pillow, however in my never ending need to procrastinate i came across this website where they have a very small and lightweight one (pretty much the same as the goon bag that has already been mentioned) http://kookabay.com/pillows.html
seems like they even make custom sleeping mats
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 1:00 pm

Dale wrote:I'll have to give it a whirl - only issue is I don't carry a thick down jacket ...

It doesn't have to be thick. Last weekend I used the Macpac Equinox for the first time and it's actually too bulky for a good pillow when rolled up. Usually I take the fairly light MD Pod jacket, and that's perfect.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby enduro » Tue 28 Jun, 2011 2:19 pm

I used my Sea2Summit 4L water (wine cask type) bag for about 15 years as a pillow. They are cheap as chips and very light (maybe 80g). Eventually the nozzel came off and I replaced it.

Recently I purchased an inflatable pillow from Big W for $7.50. It's just about thick enough for my wide shoulders but inflated inside my sleeping bag cover with a jacket and it's perfect. I like the inflatable as it is light weight and takes no space in my pack.
enduro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Genesis » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 6:45 pm

I am one for reuse, this seems to keep my kit to a minimum and lighter. there is always something that is not being used at night that can be put into a compression sack.
This is my preferred pillow.

Genesis
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vagrom » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 8:23 pm

...for a satisfying exodus. :wink:
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Ticklebelly » Fri 19 Aug, 2011 10:16 am

I use a couple of 5mm yoga mats to sleep on. I have kept one full length and cut a third off the other. The cut down one gets pulled up until my hips are just on it and the bit past my shoulders goes over the pack and anything else I can bunch up on top of the pack. Works for me after trying all sorts of other arrangements. I do intend getting a half length self-inflating mat soon but I think I will keep one full length yoga mat for a bottom layer and a bit up over the pack for a pillow.

Ticklebelly
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewa » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 9:43 pm

The "Oh great sacred pillow" is an extraordinarily important item in anyone'e gear kit.

More recently I've been using a 10l milk bladder, in a home made "pillow case", wih one or two "spare" items of clothing between the bladder and my head, to reduce sweating, and it is fantastically comfortable.

We used to use 10l foil wine bladders, but they were noisy, whereas the milk bladders are plastic, and don't crinkle. They also work well as water bladders for water storage at the end of the day, plus we use them in our home made PFD when packrafting (made from 2 bladders in a lightweight nylon shell).

Ultimately, make a "pillow case" from some comfortable fabric, and put a layer of "spare" clothing between the bladder and your head to reduce any sweating, although this may be limited by the amount of spare clothing you carry.

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby andrewbish » Mon 12 Sep, 2011 7:07 am

Sounds good, Andrew A. I have been using one of them noisy 10l wine bladders, but have misplaced it. Where did you get your milk bladders?
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby andrewa » Mon 12 Sep, 2011 12:39 pm

Andrew, they aren't easily available, but try either a large cafeteria - eg hospital, or a large ice-cream shop (eg Dairy Bell). I managed one the other day from DB when they had just run out of milk, but they don't like saving them for you for "OHS reasons"! My mate got me others from a hospital cafeteria.

AA
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby JohnM » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 10:10 pm

Down jacket or vest inside a thermarest pillowcase: unbeatable.
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Make Your Own Gear