MACPAC Minaret

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

MACPAC Minaret

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 6:11 pm

I am only advertising this here to test the water so to speak, I still dont know if i really want to part with it and if someone does make an offer I may still renig :oops:
I just love it so much... Thing is, I have found a new love and I am unsure if I will ever use the bombproof, spacious 1 man, cosy 2 man, extremely solid, extremely resistant to any wind I have been in, extremely water proof/resistant. Oh and did I mention bombproof. It is one of the slightly older models (with the tougher floors) and weighing in at 2.4kg it is a superb tent.
Although it has been used a few times, there is no sign of wear anywhere except one of the peg hoops is broken (this isnt an issue though as you can tie the cord to the peg or just retie it and it still works as new) so I would say it is in new near or excellent condition.
They retail at around $900 and I would be asking for probably just under half that. maybe $440 with postage. As I said if push came to shove there is a slight chance that i'd be to upset about parting with this fantastic item, as in my opinion they are the most complete tent I have ever used (probably a bit heavy for my ailing back though with the extended walks I do)
Last edited by ILUVSWTAS on Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: MACPAC Minaret

Postby Maelgwn » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 8:28 pm

Is it the current design? (layout, floor space, number of vestibules, fabrics ...)

And they are currently $530 new and $750 full price. Given where MacPac is going you are asking too much IMO.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby vagrom » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:42 pm

..., and you're not being PAID by Macpac to make this cute little quasi-ad? Maaaaaaaaaaark? :wink: Great Scott man, the thing's either for sale or it's not !

"If you love something, let it go.
If it comes back to you, it's yours forever. If it doesn't, then Tasadam's probably right about the Nallo2."

Markus, yours is 2.4kgs. Have you noticed if Macpac are the only ones who give 2 weights for their tents? Is this for real, that all their tents come with an immediate 10% weight reduceability?
Have you any idea what they recommend leaving at home?
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 5:18 am

Everything is for sale if the price is right Vaggers. Just so happens I still believe these are the best tents i've laid eyes on.

Most companies have 2 weights for their tents. Im not sure of many who dont. ?
Without the 8 guy ropes, and only carrying the necessary 6 or 8 pegs, and leaving the tent out of the bag mine weighs in at just under 2.4kg.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vagrom » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks SW, their latest catalogue notes 2.1 to 2.4 kgs. That's probably due to the latest materials and nips and tucks here and there. The Microlight "lost weight" over the years in such ways as well.
Siliconising is supposed to support this too,I think.Whether it's better in the long run,perhaps the jury's still out. They're desperate to stay in touch with the new Lightweight merchants, spruiking gear better left on-track.
Leaving your guy-ropes, some pegs and the bag at home means you've checked the weather for a planned short trip.
But the Microlight issolightweight that you really need the lot to pitch taught. It's only a "3 season" but holds up well,necessarily with all pegs and ropes, quite well into "4", famously so.
The lighter of the two weights obviously refers to camping in a perfect world.
Good to know the Minaret still has bolted on fans. If you docleave company with it, what's your short-list of competitors? (or are their no suitors?)
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 9:27 am

I still use it for car camping trips, but on hikes I also own a Hilleberg Akto (1.5kg) and a Terra Nova Photon. I use the Terra Nova (700grams) all the time unless the forecast is quite dodgy
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vagrom » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 11:20 pm

Terra Nova. WOW! Probably mentioned quite a bit but there seems to be no end of tents on the market; then bags a bit less and finally, packs :- basically 6 brands of canvas to choose from in Aussie, as noone else in the world is interested. Or rather, they're happy with nylon.
But Terra Nova; let's see, there's the Cosmos for $5,000. That'd have to have a good floor. But the colour...nah. Looks like a Black Wolf clone...
Last edited by vagrom on Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby MichaelP » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:17 am

I have to agree with ILUVSWTAS. The Minaret is a very, very, very nice tent. Have had no issues so far. Got one earlier this year on a crazy Macpac sale in NZ.
MichaelP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired