Patagonia R1 pants

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Patagonia R1 pants

Postby Petew » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 10:16 am

Anyone own these? Any good? Looking for new fleece/warm pants. Was looking at montbell superior down pants/thermawrap pants but can't be had for love or money in my size.

Really like the look of the EE torrid but can't get them for six weeks. Needed this week.
I realise these R1 are not as warm but will they suffice....
So, any thoughts on these patagucci numbers? For a hike in Tassie as camp clothing.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Patagonia R1 pants

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 11:06 am

I honestly think my new Thermal weight long johns are as warm as my old R1 pants and lighter, but my pants are well used and do have thin knees and bum now. I could loan you a cheap clone pair in XL if that would help out, I was using them until Cecile made me the Powerstretch Cut off short just below my knees
The old R1 pants are polartec100 not the new grid fleece
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 11:14 am

Sorry can't help on the R1 pants front I have the R1 top which seems warm under a raincoat, but might I suggest the Keas
https://www.macpac.com.au/mens/pants-sh ... 15105.html
Lighter but would be quite warm (as warm ?) as no grid, and best of all you can at least easily try them to get a nice fit as now there are shops everywhere.
Especially if they will be going over other leggings and then under your over/rainpants? Should work in a hut?
Let's know what works for you when you get back and the temps please-good tramping to you.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 11:39 am

My offer of the surplus pants liners still stands. If they are good enough for Andrew Skurka they were good enough for me until I purchased the Patagonia to save a little weight
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks everyone,

I'm on the way to check them out now. I have some Macpac Kea that I sleep in at home and some Macpac prothermals for walking in with wind or rain pants. Probably sufficient as is.... Still nice to go have a hawk at stuff occasionally:)
Petew

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 11:53 am

While you are shopping drop into a few sports stores and look at synthetic mesh lined track pants too, for years my Puma track pants were my go-to warm layer for ski touring, 2 sizes too big so the zip leg insulated pants would fit underneath. Even the extra windproof layer with no thermal insulation seemed to help me, that simple layer of mesh seemed to add something tho
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 12:51 pm

Happy result, I got a pair of thermawrap pants in large. A little long in the leg but otherwise a good fit.
Last pair in the country apparently.

Pretty light. Patagonia didn't even have R1 pants.

What is it with Australia. Literally thousands of insulated tops to choose from but lightweight insulated pants..... Maybe the market is small but montbell don't seem to be able to get enough of them.
Petew

Postby Lamont » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 2:14 pm

Petew wrote:Happy result, I got a pair of thermawrap pants in large. A little long in the leg but otherwise a good fit.
Last pair in the country apparently

Nice. You beauty!
You'll be baking nicely in those. Can you tell me the size and the weight please.
On another note would you say the Keas are warmer/much warmer/about the same as the prothermals if you were sitting still for a while or at the end of the day.
No grid, and no elastane, at that weight, looks good to me? Yea or nay Pete?
In the shop, on my legs they felt good and warm, far warmer than the prothermals especially when I walked around, but I couldn't sleep in them, way too hot.
Cold house? Cold legs?
Also sodding Montbell Sydney Larry Adler those buggers stop us getting at Japan Montbell. We must be the only country on earth!!??
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 2:26 pm

Hey Lamont,

Prothermals are good for walking in. The Kea are in my opinion a lot warmer and more comfy than the prothermals. Actually the Kea with no pockets and drawstring on the outside of waist would be perfect.

I got the large in the thermawrap pants. Medium would have been better but not available. I believe that was the last pair of large in the country. I think there will be done more available towards the end of the year. Pretty light for the warmth. Weight around 220g.

So for legs in taking a baggy thin pair of Marmot thermals, prothermals, thermawrap pants, EE wind pants, Marmot precip over pants and OR crocodile gaiters. Plus a pair of shorts.

Re, montbell/Larry Adler. Yes, *&%$#! annoying. I don't mind paying a bit more to buy locally but they have quite a restricted range compared to all the goodies montbell make. I'm looking at you superior down parka....
Petew

Postby Lamont » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 3:02 pm

Nice, thanks Pete. Kea minimal- yes.
I rang about the Thermawraps -I have $70 credit at MB-but they didn't have the L when I rang-you bugger! You cleaned up. :lol:
Legs, forget about it.
Is most of their stuff bought by the coffee gang for sitting around (discussing their latest tax minimisation scheme) and they drive the selections choices?
Know someone in NZ? Get it sent there, then here. Must be some pass-it-on service.
Bingo, bango...
Have a top tramp boyo.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 3:31 pm

Thanks Lamont.

I might sell them when I get back in a couple of weeks. I'll see how I go. Do you normally take large?

I'm so looking forward to the trip and maybe a north south traverse of Iceland next year if the stars align
Petew

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 3:36 pm

Petew wrote:What is it with Australia. Literally thousands of insulated tops to choose from but lightweight insulated pants..... Maybe the market is small but montbell don't seem to be able to get enough of them.

I honestly don't know, insulated pants just make so much sense when you stop moving
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 3:52 pm

Petew wrote:Thanks Lamont.

I might sell them when I get back in a couple of weeks. I'll see how I go. Do you normally take large?

I'm so looking forward to the trip and maybe a north south traverse of Iceland next year if the stars align

You never know I may be interested. :D I think Large or so when I checked. What size waist are you? It's my legs/thighs that are the problem. Too many squats as a young fool.
Are they stretchy at all? I wouldn't imagine so?
Will you manage to get them over the light leggings at least?
May the stars begin aligning ...now.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 5:42 pm

Thermawrap pants are a keeper. Highly recommended.
Petew

Return to Ultralight backpacking