Lightweight rain, snow jackets

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Lightweight rain, snow jackets

Postby wildernesswanderer » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 8:08 am

I'm definitely not in the lightweight category but I am starting to look at ways to strip weight. I have a old Mountain Designs Gortex Jacket that weights a sweet 890g yep heavy eh.
I'm looking to replace this with a good lightweight jacket, maybe in the 250-400g range to save close to half a kilo. Montane seem to get good reviews but I have no idea of all the different models.

Anyone own any of them or any other brand they really like the jacket of and it's lightweight.

Thanks
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Lightweight rain, snow jackets

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 8:30 am

Was your MD a stratus (seems about right for 890g)? I recently swapped my stratus for an Arcteryx and am pretty happy. I like a bit of length below the hip so went with the theta ar at about 500g, but other Arcteryx models are as low as 300g.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby forest » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 8:53 am

Is this jacket going to see only track/trail use mainly. Or doesn it need to survive heavy scrub use. (some lighter coats will more than others)
Did you want just a chest pocket, 2x Hand pockets, pit zips ??
These small things can be a must for some users and fair enough I say, but each feature adds weight.
Let us know what features you would like to have.
Also it could be important to know what sort of weight your pack is too. Some of the really really light jackets might not stand up so well to a 20kg pack abrading on them.

Arcteryx make sweet jackets but they can be pricey (I have a Theta SL, 400g). Outdoor Research do nice light jackets. Rab have some nice light fully featured options like the viper jacket.
So many options to choose from. The internet is your friend.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby wildernesswanderer » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:12 am

Wouldn't call it scrub use, Overland Track, Milford, Sound, Vic High Country etc, in all seasons. Pack weight around the 10-12kg with food. Which I want to get down more, hence starting with my over-weight jacket ;)
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:56 am

On the topic of UL jackets, has anyone tried the new 127g breatheable cuben rain jacket from Zpacks?

I wonder how it holds up to Australian (or god forbid, Tasmanian) conditions?

-icefest
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 12:14 pm

Can certainly recommend Marmot Aegis rain jacket. Around 370g but fully featured with no compromise on comfort and conveniences. Good sized adjustable hood, under arm ventilation, angled wrist cuff, soft fabric collar material and no leaks in heavy downpours. Been using it for the last year or so and loving it. Got mine in the US at 55-60% local retail.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 12:19 pm

anyone looking at marmot and can wait till next year, they are revamping their range out a new more breathable shell

http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gearca ... ology.html
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby wayno » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 12:53 pm

if you're going to walk around with an overnight pack on , i'd be looking at a 400gm three layer jacket,
i've got a couple of westcomb jackets. great breathability. but the focus jacket is 250gm 2.5 layer event, its a new type of event and the durability is unknown, the fabric is really thin
i've got a "shift lt hoody" highly breathable neoshell. 3 layer 350gm, havent used it a massive amount and not with an overnight pack so not sure of the durability long term.
they put a bit of stiffening into the hood peaks which is handy in storms... high stitch count in the seams which makes them more resistant to failure, narrow seam tape to save weight.
those jackets only have small chest pockets on them, no venting

i've got a 550gm montane jacket, havent used it much, but like the design of it , well thought out, , great hood, vents. pockets... a few of their jackets are reinforced in the heavy wear areas, like the venture jacket which is around 450gm, they are due to bring out neoshell jackets at some stage in the near future.

i've got a macpac traverse 380gm. havent used that a massive amount with a heavy pack, or in heavy rain, dont know how good the breathability will be in heavy rain... had big issues with a heavier mapcac event jacket on wetting out and poor breathability and no vents... you can get better value for your money regarding jacket features and design than the traverse anyway like montane or westcomb.

i've got an outdoor research helium... good jacket but don't know i'd trust it with an overnight pack, its 180gm light as...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 12:57 pm

westcomb have better featured jackets if you want to go up to 450gms.. include decent pockets. pit zips

look around on gearbuyer.com for sales... no warranty if bought at sales price.....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildernesswanderer » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, will have a look at what the local stores have, I know backpacking light have Montane and Bogong have Rab.

Quite like this jacket and still almost half the weight of the one I have now

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/venture-jacket
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 5:45 am

i've got the montane superfly xt.. same cut as the venture. more pockets on it and dedicated pit zips. 550gm
great jacket, decent length, longer in the backside, reinforced where it counts. hood covers your face well in storms, toasty warm in a storm...
Attachments
superfly.JPG
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 11:28 am

+1 for the Superfly XT
Although I went for a more subdued colour. Didnt want my rain jacket to match my bright red tent.
Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby nq111 » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 7:31 pm

norts wrote:+1 for the Superfly XT

+2 - an eVent garment that works.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby Joomy » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 8:53 pm

Definitely go for a 3 layer jacket for durability under pack straps, especially for Tas where you may well be wearing it for days on end. But I would say that 500+ grams is a bit heavy for even a 3 layer Event jacket. I love my Crux jacket, hip length in front and covers my bum in back, 460g for a large. Rab have a few nice lighter weight shells available and coming out. The Myriad is a great 3L Neoshell for about 420g. The Momentum is a perennial favourite at about 360g but short cut and no hand pockets. Or you could wait for its next year's Newton jacket (not too far off) which does have hand pockets, probably a longer cut and still under 400g. Check it here: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/ ... 11133.html
Joomy

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Spartan » Sun 28 Jul, 2013 4:14 pm

My recently purchased Rab 'Bergen' jacket weighs 530g, is made of 3 layer eVent fabric, and is remarkably well engineered. I teamed the jacket with a pair of Snowgum 'Nerotech' 2 layer overpants (also 500g) in the snow at Mt Hotham last weekend, and the system worked a treat.

All the best.
Quod non killus facit nos fortior
Spartan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildernesswanderer » Wed 31 Jul, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, tried on quite a few different brands and ended up with the Montane Superfly. Weighed it when I got home and 514g so there's a saving of a days food over the old MD Gortex one I had.
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Samma3l » Thu 01 Aug, 2013 10:12 pm

Depending on how durable you want to go, but you can buy a tyvek "Sperm Suit" full body coveralls and cut to jacket length. Just then needs some seam sealing on the stitching and some tape (maybe) where your pack's straps sit. Under 150g after sealing. The suits cost ~$10 from BOC Gas & Gear
Samma3l
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Supertramp » Mon 12 Aug, 2013 11:50 am

icefest wrote:On the topic of UL jackets, has anyone tried the new 127g breatheable cuben rain jacket from Zpacks?

I wonder how it holds up to Australian (or god forbid, Tasmanian) conditions?

-icefest

I haven't given mine a real good go in some decent rain yet or actually hiked with it on (only had the jacket and pants for 3 days). They seem to me, like they will be more than capable at handling what Australia has to throw at it. I also believe that they would suit Tassie conditions quiet well.

The zpacks jacket actually has an eVent membrane, so it should be pretty breathable....Although time will tell.

Glenn.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Mon 12 Aug, 2013 12:24 pm

go and stand in the shower...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bailz66 » Mon 12 Aug, 2013 1:55 pm

wildernesswanderer wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, tried on quite a few different brands and ended up with the Montane Superfly. Weighed it when I got home and 514g so there's a saving of a days food over the old MD Gortex one I had.

I have the same jacket

It is an awesome choice!
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Sat 17 Aug, 2013 11:43 am

Supertramp wrote:The zpacks jacket actually has an eVent membrane, so it should be pretty breathable....Although time will tell.

Seems like as of this month/year they are using a new material. Keep us posted - I have always been interested in these.
Will probably end up buying one in the future but I am too poor for now.
Mountain Rocket

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Sat 17 Aug, 2013 11:55 am

wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Supertramp » Mon 19 Aug, 2013 8:55 pm

Also more reading.

http://hikelighter.com/2013/08/07/water ... echnology/

This stuff sounds promising.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides